IVAN KLASNIC TO SIGN FOR SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY ?

compared to owen(who was also in the rumour mill) he's messi, owens a year older and only scored 5 goals in 35 games since season 2009, if the rumour has any thruth in it i reckon he'd be the sort of player to help us out of this league with experience at highest level and he can still pop the goals in, he would learn madine a hell of a lot

8 goals in 21 games in that time. Not even entertaining the thought of Owen just wondering where you got those stats from.

the owen stats were a quick grab off his wiki page and its actually 5 goals in 31 games not 35(my bad) and i only compared him to owen because some people on here and twitter were entertaining the idea of owen coming to swfc.

Owen's only six weeks older, not a year. In the League for the last three seasons, Owen does have 5 from 31 though. Klasnić has 8 from 29 last season alone.

Owen did it playing for Man Utd, who nearly won the title. Klasnić for Bolton, who got relegated.

8 from 21 would be Owen's record for all competitions for the last two seasons. That's not a very useful comparison because Bolton weren't competing for as many cups, but again I'd say it falls in Klasnić's favour. Klasnić played more in one competition for one season, than Owen has in all competitions for two.

The big difference is Owen is made of glass, whereas Klasnić had a double kidney transplant in 2007 and still played for his country in Euro 2008. If both were fit, I'm sure Owen would get more goals in the Championship, but Owen never is. The fact that they're the same age doesn't mean much in the context of their respective injury records.

Oh, and I don't think Klasnić has ever ruled out the possibility of ever playing below the Premier League, so there's a chance, even if remote, that it could actually happen.

Wow I should be more excited than this, being linked with such a quality player Somehow I'm not though Don't get me wrong, of course he'd be a useful addition to our squad but I think I would feel strangely disappointed somehow. Had we been linked with Maynard, McCormick or someone like Billy Sharp, I believe I would have been more excited. Why, this guy is obviously a better player than those I mention. Ir doesn't make sense that I should feel this way I know. Very strange

If the wage demands are within our range then you'd have to sign him up.

Top scorer for an awful team, a wealth of experience and his fitness level is obviously good.

It won't happen though.... he'll head back to the Bundesliga before finishing off his career in his native Croatia.

Guest Dadders

As I've said earlier, don't be fooled by Klasnic. He's not hit double figures for league goals since at Werder Bremen in 2005-06

High wages, high gamble. Rather look elsewhere

People going on about age need to remember we need to build a squad, not just a team. Experience is as much a part of a winning team as youth is.

It's also a totally different situation to Owen, not just about age. Owen has spent the better part of the last 10 years injured, whereas Klasnic hasn't as far as I'm aware.

He's a quality player with the right attributes and a good goalscoring record. I don't genuinely believe we'll end up signing him but I'd be ecstatic if we did. Signing Klasnic would set us up nicely to bring in the youthful, pacey striker people on here seem to think we need, as well as maybe Ranger depending on if Jones can move Cogba on.

Guest wilyfox

it's Klasnic or Lowe for me, but not both; they're quite similar.

Edited by wilyfox

lowe is 34 guys..... 32 isnt that bad.

Correct, JJ is also about to turn 32 and still going despite as pretty poor injury record.

32 doesnt mean over the hill, all just depends what sort of nick they're in, look at Neil Mellor, he's been fooked since his mid 20's really.

Klasnic always looks sharp whenever he got a kick for Bolton, although I'm not for 1 minute suggesting we would actually be able to sign him.

Edited by leea8331

We do need a finisher more than a hard worker though. And playing for a good team in the Championship is a completely different proposition to playing for a crap team in the Premier League. Don't really expect a 32 year old striker who never had much pace in the first place to be chasing the ball a lot, just needs to be in the right place at the right time and know where the back of the net is.

Edited by arithmetic

OK I'll ask again Why would I still prefer Ross McCormack, Nicky Maynard or even Billy Sharp to this guy. Its illogical, he's a far better player than any of those, and yet I still feel our promotion prospects would be better were we to sign one of those three.

I don't understand why I think that, his age certainly isn't an issue. Anyone else feel the same?

Guest foreverSWFC

OK I'll ask again Why would I still prefer Ross McCormack, Nicky Maynard or even Billy Sharp to this guy. Its illogical, he's a far better player than any of those, and yet I still feel our promotion prospects would be better were we to sign one of those three.

I don't understand why I think that, his age certainly isn't an issue. Anyone else feel the same?

The three strikers you've mentioned are premier league quality, all better, younger, hungrier, fitter than Klasnic.

I'll tell you what. I hope Wednesday never get taken over by the fans, if Owlstalk is a wide selection of fan opinions. For weeks ppl have been posting the usual "can he do a job" threads and all we get is never heard of him, he can't be that good, we need someone with more experience. Them ppl turn their noses up when players like Owen and Klasnic get mentioned. Lets face it they'd both be up there with the best strikers in the division. C'mon owlstalkers what do we want. We can't have a young, hungry striker with bags of experience.