Last Time there was 38,000 Wednesdayites in Hillsborough

The most recent highest crowd was 2nd May 2010 when we drew with Crystal Palace and were relegated - crowd was 37,121. The last time the crowd topped 38,000 was 11th May 1997 against Liverpool in the Premier League - a 1-1 draw with a crowd of 38,943. You have to go back to 1992 to beat that - 40,327 on 11th March 1992 when Sheffield United beat us 3-1.

Good crowds but only about 32,000 of us, saturday they'll be 38,000 of us

The most recent highest crowd was 2nd May 2010 when we drew with Crystal Palace and were relegated - crowd was 37,121. The last time the crowd topped 38,000 was 11th May 1997 against Liverpool in the Premier League - a 1-1 draw with a crowd of 38,943. You have to go back to 1992 to beat that - 40,327 on 11th March 1992 when Sheffield United beat us 3-1.

What about the League game v United in April 2001 ? 38,433

And you have to consider the away followings for all those games !

Edited by OwlsMan1961

Actually, the last time we topped 38,000 was 39,640 against Manchester United on February 2nd 2000. Its our all seater record.

Good crowds but only about 32,000 of us, saturday they'll be 38,000 of us

I think the thread title has been totally misinterpreted killaowl, "38,000 Wednesday Fans in Hillsborough'', I don't think a 38,000 attendance against Liverpool constitutes 38,000 Wednesday fans.

Guest on the band wagon

may have dreamt it but didn't we get just over 50k v man u in the 80's I had thought it was the 1-0 when Hirsty scored in the last minute but it may have been another one

would have thought man utd would have sold out leps like coventry which held 15,000 back then

At that Man U game most of the centre block of upper Lep remained virtually empty throughout.

Evidently police arrested 3 touts in Leppings Lane around 1pm, and they never got to sell them on.

may have dreamt it but didn't we get just over 50k v man u in the 80's I had thought it was the 1-0 when Hirsty scored in the last minute but it may have been another one

29,888.......so probably was another one

As for the Liverpool League Cup game in 1984 I reckon the scousers brought about 2,000

Tue 17 Jan LIVERPOOL 2-2 49,357

Liverpool were only allocated 4,000 for that game, and lets say tops another thousand dotted around the ground so there would have been over 44,000 Wednesday fans in the ground that night.

No 50,000 attendance for an Owls v Man Utd game in the 80s, nearest was 48,105 in November 1985 with Lee Chapman scoring the winner very late on, the Hirsty last minute goal was the one he scored from a tight angle at the kop end in March 1987, and still knocking about on youtube I believe !

Man Utd never brought that many to Hillsborough in the 80s in fact I remember Owls fans sharing West Stand upper with them one year !

Oh yes they did, that match they were top of league and unbeaten, came to Hillsborough and we beat them 1-0 Lee Chapman scoring late on, they had the entire lepp, same as Liverpool season before 49k and had the entire lepp.

Unfortunately I didn't attend the League Cup QF match against Liverpool so no idea how many they brought for that match.

For me this will be the most Wednesdayites i've seen in Hillsborough since Burnley Cup QF

Oh yes they did, that match they were top of league and unbeaten, came to Hillsborough and we beat them 1-0 Lee Chapman scoring late on, they had the entire lepp, same as Liverpool season before 49k and had the entire lepp.

Unfortunately I didn't attend the League Cup QF match against Liverpool so no idea how many they brought for that match.

For me this will be the most Wednesdayites i've seen in Hillsborough since Burnley Cup QF

If you say so mate, my memory is a bit faded but I'm sure I recall Owls fans with both Liverpool and Man Utd on Lep segregated by the notorious pens even some splitting of West stand upper at one of those games !

Thing is it's such a lot of guess work, what with little relliable info on travelling fans I would have to say that the 59K+ v THS in the 60/61 season would have relliably been better home support than we expect on Saturday.

Many of our gates v Manure are scewed by the fact that they used to get in all areas of the ground in matches that were rarely designated to be all ticket.

That was a cracking atmosphere and a glorious sunny day. Biggest crowd i was ever part of at Hillsborough but the result was a shame. Megson scored our goal that day too too.

I'm pretty sure Hirst scored our goal that day?

Was a great run and strike if memory serves, and there were definately 15,000 Cov fans there.

Probs Liverpool in the Milk Cup is the most Wednesdayites i have witnessed. Out of a 49,000+ crowd there must have been nearly 45,000 Owls.

Also remember we had 42,000 against Southampton in the FA cup in the 80's and it was live on TV.(And it was full price - flip off piggies)

We are a sleeping (MASSIVE)giant that is being re-awakened!

UTO!

Guest kentowl

Man U did pal, but Liverpool didn't. We were on the Lepp for both the MASSIVE Liverpool attendances. They had a lot bigger allocation for the league game (1-1 ) but we still had 1 section in the Lepp, the NW corner,and a third of the West.

I've still got the Star specials in the attic from both the scouse ones.

Man U were different class and would swamp anyone !

Man Utd never brought that many to Hillsborough in the 80s in fact I remember Owls fans sharing West Stand upper with them one year !

Think that Game was the year the Manure had gone 100% for about 13 games and we were the first team to beat them if i recall correctly ( probably don;t tho ) Brian Robson went off with yet another dislocation to his shoulder and even tho we battered em the only thing in the papers next day was Robsons injury.

I was on the Kop that match

thats the one i'd go for .....probably 4-5 k dippers at the most

Not sure there were that many of them tbh Torry. Also following season in Top flight at Hillsborough we got about 49k and there were tons of us in the West Stand that day, self included.