Last Time there was 38,000 Wednesdayites in Hillsborough

On 1 May 2012 at 21:38, OwlsMan1961 said:

As for the Liverpool League Cup game in 1984 I reckon the scousers brought about 2,000

Tue 17 Jan LIVERPOOL 2-2 49,357

Each and every one of them had a ticket too. Nobody had a beer. They didn't even swear.

On 01/05/2012 at 20:09, killaowl said:

As the title says I can only think of Burnley in the cup quarterfinal of 83 and before that Chelsea in the cup in the seventies when Osgood played, both MASSIVE crowds, there the only ones I can think of since we got relegated by Man City in 1970.

You have a short memory then.  What about the 49,000 third division record against United in the third.  49,000 Qtr final against Liverpool.  Plenty of other big crowds, at a time when football was way less popular than it is now.  And people say Wednesday wouldn't fill a 39,000 K Hillsborough if Wednesday get promoted to the Premier division now.

On 01/05/2012 at 20:35, Andrew Robinson said:

The most recent highest crowd was 2nd May 2010 when we drew with Crystal Palace and were relegated - crowd was 37,121. The last time the crowd topped 38,000 was 11th May 1997 against Liverpool in the Premier League - a 1-1 draw with a crowd of 38,943. You have to go back to 1992 to beat that - 40,327 on 11th March 1992 when Sheffield United beat us 3-1.

If it's the same game, i was  sat towards the North west corner and im sure Liverpool had that bit as well as the west stand. Probably why it exceeded 38k

On 01/05/2012 at 22:36, OwlsMan1961 said:

If you say so mate, my memory is a bit faded but I'm sure I recall Owls fans with both Liverpool and Man Utd on Lep segregated by the notorious pens even some splitting of West stand upper at one of those games !

Liverpool sent 2k tickets back for cup game and they were sold to home fans.  I got one.  Lots of us in NW corner.   Can't remember any game where Liverpool or man u didn't sell upper tier.  

17 minutes ago, 1banana2banana said:

Can't believe everyone has forgotten Wycombe in 2012. Apart from Aero that is 

Most of this thread was written  prior to the Wycombe game. Only realised that myself when I read there would be 38k of us on Saturday, then realised it was written 1/5/2012.

1 hour ago, Lincs Owl said:

Liverpool sent 2k tickets back for cup game and they were sold to home fans.  I got one.  Lots of us in NW corner.   Can't remember any game where Liverpool or man u didn't sell upper tier.  

Lots coineage thrown back then. We had NW corner and pen below. SAG be aware. Nothing major happened apart from the odd growl. Fun happened outside.

7 minutes ago, Dalian said:

Lots coineage thrown back then. We had NW corner and pen below. SAG be aware. Nothing major happened apart from the odd growl. Fun happened outside.

Pretty certain we had most (if not all) of middle pen too. Sat on front row of covered bit of South Stand near Leppings Lane end. Sure they only had the end pen nearest to us, about 3k if I remember correctly was only 14 so memory may not be accurate though.

On 5/1/2012 at 20:38, OwlsMan1961 said:

As for the Liverpool League Cup game in 1984 I reckon the scousers brought about 2,000

Tue 17 Jan LIVERPOOL 2-2 49,357

could have been slightly less  you could barely hear them when they scored

7 minutes ago, Ryan the owl said:

It was 38k+, think there was 38600 there and Wycombe brought 400ish.

Think the official attendance was just slightly over 38,000. Wycombe didn't bring many at all and a chunk of those looked to be Owls anyway, so yeah probably just shy of 38k of us. Either way, it was a hell of a lot of us and a mental atmosphere

On 01/05/2012 at 22:36, OwlsMan1961 said:

If you say so mate, my memory is a bit faded but I'm sure I recall Owls fans with both Liverpool and Man Utd on Lep segregated by the notorious pens even some splitting of West stand upper at one of those games !

I went in the top half of the Lep against Liverpool. It was split between us and them.