David Hirst v Barnsley

I was hoping somebody would have a video of his diving header. I am sure It was on YouTube previously, and either Calendar or Look North showed the goals. I was at the game and we arrived late and missed our first goal. My memory was it was throwing it down. Hirst came on and ran Barnsley ragged. His diving header is one of my favourite goals watching Wednesday, and the celebrations behind the goal were awesome. 

On 4/19/2012 at 20:33, phshaw said:

No, Hirsty made his debut against Everton as a sub. Britain was suffering the tail-end of Hurricane Charlie. He scored with his very first touch in front of the Kop.

Second touch actually - not my words, the words of David Hirst when I asked him about it the very next day!

Loves a drink does Hirsty. Once found him slumped against a urinal int Star at Cudworth. He woke up as he heard me weeing and asked if I had his pint. As a player, he had left Oakwell a year or two before I started, but I remember him being different class at Wednesday. And as much as I find it embarrassing myself, to hear a Barnsley lad who is clearly such a Wednesdayite, it runs deep for him. Last time I saw him in tarn, he was sozzled (as per) and discussing the merits of Carlton Palmer in central defence. 

Good luck to George. Keep him off't ale.

33 minutes ago, WhiteyBFC said:

Loves a drink does Hirsty. Once found him slumped against a urinal int Star at Cudworth. He woke up as he heard me weeing and asked if I had his pint. As a player, he had left Oakwell a year or two before I started, but I remember him being different class at Wednesday. And as much as I find it embarrassing myself, to hear a Barnsley lad who is clearly such a Wednesdayite, it runs deep for him. Last time I saw him in tarn, he was sozzled (as per) and discussing the merits of Carlton Palmer in central defence. 

Good luck to George. Keep him off't ale.

Not much untruth in this, sad to say.   Had he joined Man U, he would have been a world beater because he would have had Ferguson on his back making him a better person, not a better footballer, but a better person.   

This man should have been a world beater - he was but in a side that wasn't quite up to his standard, and when we did have a squad up to his standard, he no longer was.   Looking back at those videos, and baring in mind I lived through that era and thought it was the "norm" - it's hard to live with the fact we are a 2nd tier side.   We had it so good with Hirst and co growing up, which is why it hurts so much now!

Edited by salmonbones

1 minute ago, salmonbones said:

Not much untruth in this, sad to say.    This man should have been a world beater - he was but in a side that wasn't quite up to his standard, and when we did have a squad up to his standard, he no longer was.   Looking back at those videos, and baring in mind I lived through that era and thought it was the "norm" - it's hard to live with the fact we are a 2nd tier side.   We had it so good with Hirst and co growing up, which is why it hurst so much now!

It was the achilles injury which finished hirsty not the players round him

2 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

It was the achilles injury which finished hirsty not the players round him

That injury - was it Steve Bould?  That injury put paid full stop, but it was the whole the whole culture which screwed his career up.    Hanrahans left Hirsty's career wanting long before he scored that goal with a broken leg.

10 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

Not much untruth in this, sad to say.   Had he joined Man U, he would have been a world beater because he would have had Ferguson on his back making him a better person, not a better footballer, but a better person.   

This man should have been a world beater - he was but in a side that wasn't quite up to his standard, and when we did have a squad up to his standard, he no longer was.   Looking back at those videos, and baring in mind I lived through that era and thought it was the "norm" - it's hard to live with the fact we are a 2nd tier side.   We had it so good with Hirst and co growing up, which is why it hurts so much now!

10 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

Wouldn't necessarily suggest he needed to be a better person, just a better professional / athlete.

But you are right: Imagine the Hirst of 91-92 in the team of 93.

Edited by Ever the pessimist

9 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

That injury - was it Steve Bould?  That injury put paid full stop, but it was the whole the whole culture which screwed his career up.    Hanrahans left Hirsty's career wanting long before he scored that goal with a broken leg.

One or two superstars made a great living while having unhealthy social lives b.Robson shearer gazza and few more 

On 4/19/2012 at 20:33, phshaw said:

No, Hirsty made his debut against Everton as a sub. Britain was suffering the tail-end of Hurricane Charlie. He scored with his very first touch in front of the Kop.

no hirsty made his debut away v charlton, his home debut was v everton

32 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Wouldn't necessarily suggest he needed to be a better person, just a better professional / athlete.

But you are right: Imagine the Hirst of 91-92 in the team of 93.

Different era. My initial post wasn't knocking him. Our best ever side (96-97) was a team of drinkers. But in this day and age, you will not last five minutes. I know we look back and think "wow" about the 90's as Wednesday and Barnsley fans, but the players now are miles ahead in terms of fitness etc. Young George has a bright future and needs to be the athlete you refer to. 

1 hour ago, talon said:

Was the injury at Ipswich before the Bould one?

No it was after. He tore his thigh muscle at Ipswich around Feb 93 the bould one was sept 92 ish. He still scored 18 that season though.

There was allsorts wrong with him the following 2 years.