Automatic promotion - the "facts"

Guest ollyt

Common thinking is a team needs to average 2 points per game to go up automatically. That is likely to apply more so this year with places 2 to 5 in particular being very close. So the key is 92 points.

We have 60 points with 13 games left - therefore can acheive a maximum of 99 points. So, we must take 32 points out of what is on offer so;

10 wins, 2 draws, 1 defeat - 32

10 wins, 1 draw, 2 defeats - 31

9 wins, 4 draws, no defeats - 31

The point is whilst we all hope for automatic to acheive it means a run like we've not seen in years OR a major wee wee tail up by i suspect at least 2 other teams.

Those are the facts. I would love automatic but suspect we have to accept the play-offs, which i would have taken at the start of the season

Common thinking is a team needs to average 2 points per game to go up automatically. That is likely to apply more so this year with places 2 to 5 in particular being very close. So the key is 92 points.

We have 60 points with 13 games left - therefore can acheive a maximum of 99 points. So, we must take 32 points out of what is on offer so;

10 wins, 2 draws, 1 defeat - 32

10 wins, 1 draw, 2 defeats - 31

9 wins, 4 draws, no defeats - 31

The point is whilst we all hope for automatic to acheive it means a run like we've not seen in years OR a major wee wee tail up by i suspect at least 2 other teams.

Those are the facts. I would love automatic but suspect we have to accept the play-offs, which i would have taken at the start of the season

After our loss to Stevenage in September, the next 13 games involved 10 wins, 1 loss and 2 draws.

EDIT - although 2 were cup games.

Edited by jezb69swfc

I agree the playoffs look by far the most likely but compared to last seasons capitulation that would be excellent progress regardless of the outcome.

Having said that, football is a funny old game and you just never know, Sundays result could be the start of a poor run from the blades (bloody hope so anyway)

Automatic would be a very tall order. Such a shame because if you count up the points we've thrown away against Huddersfield, Walsall and Hartlepool we could be sitting very pretty indeed. Think its the fact we've thrown away so many points indicates that the play offs would be about right for this team. Unfortunately, the team who is in pole position for automatic is United but we know how they handle pressure so nothing is guaranteed yet.

Lets just focus on winning as many games as possible between now and May and see where we end up. At worst we end up in the play offs but with a bit of momentum.

92 would definitely get us up but it may take less.

MASSIVE bit of the season coming up now, after these 2 home games for the Pigs I think they have 4 out of the following 5 games away from S2.

Which is why we have to aim to win every home game between now and the end of the season. Do that and we give ourselves a fighting chance. Over to you, Gary.

Here we go again counting the flippingpoints before we've won the games.

The only game we can win this week is the one at Rochdale, lets just focus on that shall we ?

Spot on.

Whilst I agree that play-offs is our most likely destination, it only takes a quick look at the fixtures to see that one of the runs you mention is by no means unrealistic...even for the more cynical supporters.

Bury, Bournemouth, Walsall, PNE, Oldham, Carlisle and Wycombe - all winable at home. Our away form may well bite us on the arse in quest for automatic.

Who's to say the Blunts wont have a crap run now too?

Guest GreenGoose

Chill out Rafa.

After Sunday I'm hoping the team can take some of the pressure off themselves and just go out and enjoy playing and win on the back of it. Nobody outside of s6 thinks we have a chance of automatic - its the blunts to lose, they all say, their form is great - yes it is but stranger have happened. Southampton were around 4th/5th wernt they around this time? and went on an epic run playing with little pressure it seemed.

Here are the facts.

To go up automatically, you have to finish in the top 2. Each year, the top 2 teams score a different number of points, this is down to each match being different with a largely unpredictable outcome based on a MASSIVE number of variables, including, to name just a few, mental and physical fitness, the weather, refereeing decisions and luck. Each game results in 0, 1 or 3 points. Over a season consisting of 46 games, this can result in almost any points total up to a maximum of 138 points.

To finish in the top 2, you have to outperform at least 22 of the other 23 teams over the 46 games, and here's the important part - the total number of points you score is not the deciding factor, it is the number of points in relation to the other teams in the division.

Or to be put it quickly, lets just see what points are needed at the end of the season, who knows what will happen.