Attendance yesterday - poor?

Guest Deleted member

Personally this is just more proof that the balance of power has shifted in the city - and United are now the bigger club.

All we had on them in recent years was attendances. We haven't even got that now.

Guest totemowl
Personally this is just more proof that the balance of power has shifted in the city - and United are now the bigger club.

All we had on them in recent years was attendances. We haven't even got that now.

What are you on about? Their best attendance, average attendance, lowest attendance, total attendance are all less than ours.

It'll probably take a visit from us to help them out there.

Guest Big Guns

And I'm suppose to be a fisherman lol

As a matter of interest, what was the average home attendence when we were in the 3rd tier back in the 1970s? I seem to remember much bigger crowds then.

Our third tier average attendances -

1974/75 - 13,292

1975/76 - 11,068

1976/77 - 13,470

1977/78 - 11,427

1978/79 - 10,643

1979/80 - 18,084

2003/04 - 21,220

2004/05 - 23,344

2010/11 - 17,817

Our third tier average attendances -

1974/75 - 13,292

1975/76 - 11,068

1976/77 - 13,470

1977/78 - 11,427

1978/79 - 10,643

1979/80 - 18,084

2003/04 - 21,220

2004/05 - 23,344

2010/11 - 17,817

Thanks for that, just goes to show my memory is poor. I could have sworn we got much bigger crowds back in the 70s.

Still losing 30k per day and many season tickets given away for £10, I know because my daughter has one and the figure banded around of how many of those handed out is aroun d4,000.

That £40,000 they got from those 4,000 season tickets will buy them a months worth of Stephen Quinn.

So........No, they don't have that on us, the only thing they have is a huge financial millstone around their neck and still highly inflated gates due to giveaway tickets.

Edited by salmonbones

Still losing 30k per day and many season tickets given away for £10, I know because my daughter has one and the figure banded around of how many of those handed out is aroun d4,000.

That £40,000 they got from those 4,000 season tickets will buy them a months worth of Stephen Quinn.

So........No, they don't have that on us, the only thing they have is a huge financial millstone around their neck and still highly inflated gates due to giveaway tickets.

Edit - read it wrong.

Edited by TheWednesdayFC

Thanks for that, just goes to show my memory is poor. I could have sworn we got much bigger crowds back in the 70s.

At this stage of the season in 79/80 we were only getting about 14 or 15 thousand. It wasn't until after the BDM that attendances picked up.

Even in the 83/84 promotion season attendances for the first few games were at a similar level to now, then we had three home derby matches (Leeds, Huddersfield and Barnsley) after which we were top and running away with the league.

St Leger meeting was on yesterday as well wasn't it? That normally has an effect.

Simple reason why the attendance was down yesterday, St Ledger at Doncaster. If there is a Statto amongst us, take a look at our attendances historically when the St ledger is on, it's always down. It's one reason why united always ask to be away on that day, as it affects the attendance, Weds are always at home on the St ledger & the attendance is almost always lower.

Guest totemowl
17k is a decent attendance in the 3rd tier. How many teams would get more?

But with more than 20,000 empty seats why on earth. Is the club not putting some offers on?

They are:more points and entertainment for your money.

Guest Big Guns

They are:more points and entertainment for your money.

24 pounds is a lot of money unless your loaded like me but poor people can't afford that they will need it for there fags and special brew

reckon thats a decent average that will go up to around 18 k if we get and stay in top 6 .....

Correct. One has to consider that the vast majority of people have less cash than they ever had before due to the recession, ever increasing cost of living, higher unemployment. As a consequence many people pick and chose their matches i.e first match, last match, pig match, chestefield match. If you look at attendances elsewhere even at some premiership clubs then 17k for a league 1 game is good.