Scunthorpe Forum 'Penalty'

Was having a little looksy at what the 'iron' thought of the penalty decision that was waved away and here's what was had to say. I thought it was quite funny lol

"With him electing initially to decisively give a penalty thanks to a clear view - but then bottling it thanks to the reaction of the home fans and players. After consulting with the linesman: they then gave a corner. The ball never went out."

Read more: http://www.sflaphorpe.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchrep.asp?a=253153#ixzz1WMsKgdnv

Guest bigblue

Both the 'match report' and the comments below seem to avoid the central debate - was it a penalty?!

They moan that the referee was a "coward" and that he "bottled it", but make no claim that it was a foul. The reason for this is patently obvious - it was never a penalty in the first place.

Claiming that the linesman had "no better view" than the referee is just stupid. The ref was behind the challenge, the linesman was alongside it. It might've been difficult to see clearly from his angle, hence getting the initial decision wrong. I, along with anyone on the Kop side of the South or the South side of the Kop, could clearly see Prutton cleanly take the ball. The linesman was in the ideal spot to see it just as clearly; but I'm not sure the ref was. Good work from the officials all day long that!

I do understand the sour grapes though. They are from a place called s_CUN.T_horpe!

Edited by bigblue

Credit to the linesman because I was sat right behind that and Prutton clearly won the ball. The ref was a bit quick to give it I thought anyway but Prutton should never have been turned so easily in the box. Was bemused to why they were given a corner as it never want out and how is it our fault that he makes a good tackle doesn't go out and because the ref messed up they get a corner. If it weren't for Clinton Morrison stopping it on the line people would have gone ballistic.

Guest Oadby Owl

It was never a penalty we all agree that one, but great credit to the linesman for alerting the referee to that + for the referee for changing his decision. I thought the game was restarted by a drop ball on the corner of our box because didn't they nearly score from the resultant cross? Scunny were a very good side and it was easy to see how they had got a point at Charlton last week (by all accounts deserved to win!).

So the Scunnt fans think he "bottled" it? If, as we all seem to believe, it's was an incorrect descision to give a pen, then the Ref has shown that he certainly has the Cojones by admitting he was wrong after consultation with the Lino.

That's no mean feat for a guy who is being watched by 16,800 people, and who'd job it is to get the call right everytime.

There was no way it was a penalty.

However, had the situation been reversed I would be fuming.

I think that is fair.

The fact he even gave the penalty in the first place was ridiculous. He obviously wasn't 100% certain and you have to be 100% sure to give a penalty. The following reaction with suggesting a drop ball and then the corner proved completely that he didn't know what he was doing. I can see why they were upset, I would have been too if Wednesday had a penalty chalked off, but in fairnedd there was no way it was a penalty in the first place.

Guest D.J.Nick1212

Both the 'match report' and the comments below seem to avoid the central debate - was it a penalty?!

They moan that the referee was a "coward" and that he "bottled it", but make no claim that it was a foul. The reason for this is patently obvious - it was never a penalty in the first place.

Claiming that the linesman had "no better view" than the referee is just stupid. The ref was behind the challenge, the linesman was alongside it. It might've been difficult to see clearly from his angle, hence getting the initial decision wrong. I, along with anyone on the Kop side of the South or the South side of the Kop, could clearly see Prutton cleanly take the ball. The linesman was in the ideal spot to see it just as clearly; but I'm not sure the ref was. Good work from the officials all day long that!

I do understand the sour grapes though. They are from a place called s_CUN.T_horpe!

Totally agree, I sit on the Kop half way back, just to the south side of goal, I saw prutton just get his toe to it, one of several great tackles from the midfield marvel on Saturday! Thought it was a very brave decision by the ref and linesman! My dad didn't see it clearly and thought it was a penalty! Most disappointingly, it wasn't shown on the football league show! Strange as it was a main talking point!

Totally agree, I sit on the Kop half way back, just to the south side of goal, I saw prutton just get his toe to it, one of several great tackles from the midfield marvel on Saturday! Thought it was a very brave decision by the ref and linesman! My dad didn't see it clearly and thought it was a penalty! Most disappointingly, it wasn't shown on the football league show! Strange as it was a main talking point!

Aside from our 1st goal which was a debatable offside

Pffffffft, we never get any flippingluck normally,

Didn't look a penalty to me for what it's worth and i was sat in line with it,

Also we could have beat Sflaphorpe by three more goals if we had more teeth up front,

We seem to have bad luck for years but the old saying you make your own luck certainly has it's part to play.

Had what happened Saturday happened within the last few years never would we have got the players reaction that helped sway the officials. It was clearly the right decision in tue end but without the protest from the players the penalty would have stood. Yet another example of the mentality that GM is installing into the players.

Look also at goal celebrations. When Nadine scored his 2nd and Wednesday's 3rd every player was celebrating except from Leitrim and jones on the half way line who were discussing tactics on the half way line. I started a thread Saturday about GM (moving forward? You bet!) and this again is GM putting his stamp on the team.

Good times ahead.

I find it absolutely amazing that they didn't shoe it in the football league show. It would have cleared it all up whilst making the ref look an idiot for giving a corner when the ball didn't go out

The coverage of the game on the football league show and now on the bbc website is rubbish! There was loads of action to show. There is no reason not to have it on the website!