Scunthorpe Forum 'Penalty'

i was over in the n/w (as far away from play as the scunny supporters) and we we're too far away to see anything...

we just saw a challenge go in, a player go down...then you look at the ref... ...within a second he was pointing at the spot...

i would have thought (if i were reffing) and were 99% sure, i would still look at the lino for his offering on the subject...

if i was less than 99% sure then i might have to go over about it (now he can't have been 100% certain or he wouldn't have overturned his decision)...so the fault lies with shoddy work by the ref, and i hope he was marked accordingly by his assessor...

thankfully the lino had the ballz to stick his two penneth in...

pisspoor reffin again...

Guest TonyOwl88

The only real doubt on the eventual decision was whether referees can just wave it away once they've already given it. I think it was refreshing to see a ref with an ability to accept that he was wrong and without the ego to ignore that fact and persist in his ridiculous decision. Good call for me, and the ref deserves credit for it.

The only real doubt on the eventual decision was whether referees can just wave it away once they've already given it. I think it was refreshing to see a ref with an ability to accept that he was wrong and without the ego to ignore that fact and persist in his ridiculous decision. Good call for me, and the ref deserves credit for it.

if he'd made the right call to start with, that would deserve credit...consult the linesman, that's what he's there for......

Guest Triplej2

Football fans' blind loyalty and bias is amazing.

If i was a scunny fan, I'd get the facts (i.e. it wasn't a pen) and accept the decision as the right one. Why kick up a fuss at sensible correct refereeing?

I had a great view , it was a clean tackle and got the ball.

The issue is that at a time when they are trying to stop players crowding around referees we benefited by doing exactly that. The referee only consulted the linesman because of badgering by the players (and crowd) so although it was definitely the right outcome you could argue they got to it the wrong way.

Last season it would have been a pen because our players would have stood back and accepted it heads down.

I still think it would have remained a pen at the other end of the ground as the kop played a big part in the protest.

Anyone got a link to footage? BBC not showing it. From where I was on the north it was hard to tell, personally I wasnt surprised when the ref pointed to the spot, and I also thought he'd sent Prutton off. Be good to see it again.

As for our first goal, deffo a hint of offside. Penalty incident was main talking point for us straight after though.

Anyone got a link to footage? BBC not showing it. From where I was on the north it was hard to tell, personally I wasnt surprised when the ref pointed to the spot, and I also thought he'd sent Prutton off. Be good to see it again.

As for our first goal, deffo a hint of offside. Penalty incident was main talking point for us straight after though.

Dont think it was on BBC Coverage. But its on Weds Player.

Both the 'match report' and the comments below seem to avoid the central debate - was it a penalty?!

They moan that the referee was a "coward" and that he "bottled it", but make no claim that it was a foul. The reason for this is patently obvious - it was never a penalty in the first place.

Claiming that the linesman had "no better view" than the referee is just stupid. The ref was behind the challenge, the linesman was alongside it. It might've been difficult to see clearly from his angle, hence getting the initial decision wrong. I, along with anyone on the Kop side of the South or the South side of the Kop, could clearly see Prutton cleanly take the ball. The linesman was in the ideal spot to see it just as clearly; but I'm not sure the ref was. Good work from the officials all day long that!

I do understand the sour grapes though. They are from a place called s_CUN.T_horpe!

I think "Viciously Hacked down" intimates that they think it might have been a foul...