How good was David Hirst?

Guest duediligence

nice skills big dave, shame they censored the music on part 2, hoppipolla by sigur ros

went well with the end of the clip

you dont have to wait long to get a flavour of possibly the ultimate total striker,

the 1st goal on part 1 & the goal on 15 seconds in part 2 with his 'weak' foot are just 2 of

the many great goals he scored. it got to the point where when he scored an 'easy'/normal

goal it was almost just routine, beacause we were always expecting that impossible goal from nothing.

his goal record considering injuries, sub appearances as a youngster and some poor/average service

before sheridan and the best winger ive ever seen is amazing, but he also set up plenty.

carlton palmer features alot too, box to box, breaking up play and even laying on a few,

he was under-rated and one of many we never replaced.

replacing hirsty tho, forget about it. my 1st memory was as a boy of about 10 and he came on vs southampton

i think in 1987/88. it was a 1-1 stalemate, but when he came on he skinned half their team and layed the

winner on for someone. he became a hero to me and any other kid i knew that had seen him

Guest Bald Owl

He was the original utter flipping dogs bollock5 had he gone to Man Utd which we're glad he didn't he would have been their greatest striker ever. No striker was, or has ever been as strong. He could chest a ball further than some players could head it. Utter GOD! End of.

He was the original utter flipping dogs bollock5 had he gone to Man Utd which we're glad he didn't he would have been their greatest striker ever. No striker was, or has ever been as strong. He could chest a ball further than some players could head it. Utter GOD! End of.

he couldnt chest it as far as efan ekuko

Out of all the players i have watched at hillsborough over 30 years he is the best, and that includes Nillson, Waddle Di Canio, Sterland, Sheridan, Lyons,Walker ect.

He was the one player who when you knew he was playing lifted the whole ground. He was the one player we couldnt live without against the best teams.

The complete striker pace,power,raw aggression,two footed with a thunderbolt of a left foot, team player, brilliant header of a ball and a honest footballer who would be the first name on any team sheet i picked from any premiership team and also fergie rated him the best which says it all really.

In the days when Colin West was starting you could hear the murmours starting round the ground as Hirsty warmed up and the roar as he was finally brought on charged down the opposition goalie and defenders scaring them to death.

A TRUE WEDNESDAY LEGEND OF THE LIKES WE MIGHT NOT SEE IN ANOTHER 50 YEARS OF WATCHING THE OWLS

Guest BigDave

If he was in his prime today, playing in a Premiership side he would be worth £30M+

How much did Darren Bent go for? Kenwyne Jones? Jermaine Defoe?

When you look at those names, not 1 of them is remotely close to being in the same class as Hirsty

He had everything and more but i don't think there is a player around that had the attitude and determination to get the ball, maybe Rooney

When you look at those names, not 1 of them is remotely close to being in the same class as Hirsty

He had everything and more but i don't think there is a player around that had the attitude and determination to get the ball, maybe Rooney

My point exactly. The amount of money those players have brought in transfer fees is staggering though.

Guest BigDave

My point exactly. The amount of money those players have brought in transfer fees is staggering though.

And what a different era and person, I remember being about 14 years old and on a Saturday during close season Hirsty would sometimes be in Jack Greens sport shop in South Elmsall talking to Russ Green, he had all the time in the world to talk to folk going in, so down to earth

Imagine that happening nowadays

A great thread this.

Hirst for 2 years was an incredible footballer. The promotion season and the one after there wasn't a better prospect in the country. A fit Hirst, alongside the workaholic Paul Williams doing the graft for him, was a wonderful sight to behold.

He had everything Shearer had, possibly more, but it was all taken away that day at Highbury. He wasn't the same player afterwards (but he was still bloody good).

1) David Hirst

2) Paolo Di Canio

No contest. The rest are well behind these two.

Absolutely agree 100%. Two absolutely amazing footballers. Di Canio was an absolute genius, he was at his peak and remains the most exciting footballer I've ever seen pull on the shirt.

If you did a national poll on who was the better player, Hirsty or Shearer, 99.9% would say Shearer. Just shows that that the overwhelming majority of people know fornicate all. The most complete striker in my lifetime (48 yrs). Shearer WAS immense but Hirsty WAS better. Would anybody have swopped them? Shearer also was a thug, Hirsty was totally commited. They are not the same thing.

As well as the goals etc., it was the chasing down of fullbacks and watching them poo themselves. If I live another 40 years I won't see another Hirsty. Rooney is the closest in the modern era, but hes about 90% of the player.

HE WAS THAT GOOD!

Someone said on here a while ago how good Carroll was and i stated that he bore a bit of a resemblance to the start of boy wonders career but at the moment he is nowehere as near as good as boy wonder was. Echo what mosty have said he was the complete striker, scored some fantastic goals. I haven't seen david hirst part 2 yet so not sure yet if the goal i'm about to mention is on it but i remember Hirst scoring a dipping volley with his right foot in front of the kop in a 4-1 victory against Palace, an absolute stunner.

By the way how good was Paul Warhursts interception, run and pass for Hirsty's goal against dirty Leeds.

UTO & WTID

Someone said on here a while ago how good Carroll was and i stated that he bore a bit of a resemblance to the start of boy wonders career but at the moment he is nowehere as near as good as boy wonder was. Echo what mosty have said he was the complete striker, scored some fantastic goals. I haven't seen david hirst part 2 yet so not sure yet if the goal i'm about to mention is on it but i remember Hirst scoring a dipping volley with his right foot in front of the kop in a 4-1 victory against Palace, an absolute stunner.

By the way how good was Paul Warhursts interception, run and pass for Hirsty's goal against dirty Leeds.

UTO & WTID

I was in the Leeds end for that game- terrifying.