How good was David Hirst?

Guest duediligence

I know its been done before but just let my Donny fan mate know what he was like.....

Take it away boys!

flipping billiant when fit.

still got alot of 90's videos still and they just bring goose bumps when i whatch em :biggrin:

The most complete striker I've ever seen. He had the lot. Scored with his left, his right, his head.

Had tremedous pace, could pass, could dribble. Scored goals from 2 yards and 35 yards.

Could hit the net from free kicks.

Tackled, chased back, went wide on the left, up front.

Could lead the line on his own. Looked good alongside whoever he played with in a partnership.

Should I stop there? You get the gist. A wonderful footballer.

Yes but how good was he? :biggrin:

I see Hirsty most home games and he's a normal supporter just like me and you. Apart from the attributes everyones already mentioned he NEVER gave less than everything for Wednesday. He loved playing football and scoring goals. How it must pain him to see some of the so called players in the blue and white stripes now. Last season talented players just couldn't be bothered, that would never have been the case with Hirsty.

Better than shearer if he hadn't have had his injurys!

Very true - had everything and would terrorise opposition defences. Shame injuries cut his career short and stopped him reaching his full potential. Unfortunately we will probably never see the likes of him, Sheridan, Waddle, Walker etc again.

Hirsty was and will always be a legend.

And in todays money would be worth more than every Donny player put together.

And i dont mean just players in their present squad....i mean every player thats ever played for them in their history.

Put that in your pipe and smoke in Mr Ryan. :happy:

David Hirst scored against everyone, you name it, Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal. Ferguson preferred Hirst over Shearer, I think in both careers, Shearer scored against Man Utd once, and that was late in his career. Man U always had an answer to Shearer, whereas Hirst scored against Man U at will, they couldn't contain him.

Here's another cracker.

You've also got to bear in mind that he was only 18 at the time he did this. United never could handle him, no wonder Fergie was prepared to break the transfer record for him.

I know its been done before but just let my Donny fan mate know what he was like.....

Take it away boys!

That is the equivalent in Music of asking if the Beatles were any good! Not just good, but simply the best (oops.......that's Tina Turner!)!biggrin.gif

Various threads on OT refer to different players as legends. Legend seems to be a word that is often used to describe players who were 'popular' but none of these can ever be in the same category as David Hirst. David Hirst is a legend in every sense of the word.

He had everything and on his day was unplayable.

We have had no one since that has been even close to be fit enough to lace his boots.

He is so down to earth as well, when you meet himoff the pitch he is a top bloke.

I love you Hirsty!

Guest Jump Owl

without question my absolute hero when i was a kid. my walls were filled with posters ripped out of match and shoot of him and everytime i put my young owls shirt on worked my knackers off to be good enough to just lace the mans boots. Didnt quite manage it through lack of ability!

2 goals stand out for me. One against Villa for big rons return. ive never seen a ball bend and swerve so many times before hitting the net and one against Man City where he turned Vonk on the half way line and ran in towards the corner of the box before knocking past the keeper and in the corner.

he had pace, power, could score with either foot and was awesome in the air. ive never met him but did see him in eccy rd napoleons (shock). got star struck and didnt speak to him

Guest Bellsview

1st of September 1990. I remember it well, I was in church getting married and missed the game.

Here's a hard to find cracker.

That's my favourite ever goal scored by Hirsty.

It was THAT GOOD 20,000 Geordies clapped the bugger, even though they knew full well that his goal had as good as relegated them.

Edited by Bellsview

Guest BigDave

I have a video i got of Google videos ages ago but its just over 20mins long so i can't post it, it has some fantastic memories and goals on, it also has that tackle by Bould and the subsequent scissor kick style goal from the free kick with a broken leg

If anyone has any idea where i can upload i will if anyone fancies watching it

Out of interest, anyone got a clip of all the goals from the Saints v Wednesday game at the Dell in '97, the one where Di Canio got the winner (3-2 to Owls)?

I ask because although Di Canio's goal is frequently seen, Hirsty was in the Saints side that day and got their first goal and a good reception from our fans. Strangely enough their second from a certain Carlton Palmer wasn't quite as well received!biggrin.gif