How good was David Hirst?

Guest duediligence

1) David Hirst

2) Paolo Di Canio

No contest. The rest are well behind these two.

Agreed. Imagine if you could have them with Waddle, Carbone and Sheridan in midfield. Nilsson and Walker at the back. What a side that would be

Guest Saturday Owl

Don't remember too much of Hirsty, however we all know he's the best striker we've ever had.

Guest Biscuit_Legs

David Hirst was the single best striker I have ever had the honour of watching. His power, pace, aggression and pure raw talent were beyond belief. He had everything and, but for two Donkey's at Arsenal, would have gone on to surpass anything Shearer ever did.

Lets just remember, forgetting Hirst's bid by Man Utd, Shearer went to Blackburn for a then British record transfer fee which was 400k less than we had offered for him. He was all about money - Hirst never asked for a move.

Top player, top bloke and always has loads of time for everyone.

Class - that is all.

Guest BoomTownOwls

Vonk played alongside Curle that match. It was Curle that Hirst turned and left for dead.

That isn't my opinion it is a fact.

Hirst had everything. He was unique - I really believe that there will never be a player like him again. People have rightly stated his power, pace, agility, prowess, technique, skill, ability with the ball at his feet and in the air, positional sense, anticipation, workrate all combined as his overall attribute. In my eyes, Hirst is a footballing god - actually he is something higher than that.

I used to love the way he'd chase down defenders and either skittle them over or make them panic and lose the ball. These were beasts of defenders as well; players such as Pallister, Bruce, Adams, Bould, Ruddock and Hendry.

I feel privileged to have watched Hirst week in, week out. In the league, cup runs, finals and in Europe he always shone out as the outstanding player.

I flipping love him!!!!!

I said this before but I say it again: There should be a bronze statue of 'the boy wonder' at Hillsborough - preferably one of him slamming the ball with that almighty left peg of his.

think theres more deserving cases in our history than hirsty for a bronze statue .was a great player no doubt but we've had a lot of great players in years long ago who were worshipped just as much by there generation .

think theres more deserving cases in our history than hirsty for a bronze statue .was a great player no doubt but we've had a lot of great players in years long ago who were worshipped just as much by there generation .

We all have our heroes and Hirst is mine. Bannister, Curran and Andy Mac all come close in the forward stakes also for me. However, I'll agree with you here but I wouldn't say other players are more deserving - can we agree at equally deserving and those few legends should have something more deserving than a wall of fame (all of these walls are money spinners rather acknowledgements in my opinion).

Guest BigDave

Is there any software where i can split the 20 minute video i have of Hirsty into 2 parts so i can upload it to youtube for all to see

Is there any software where i can split the 20 minute video i have of Hirsty into 2 parts so i can upload it to youtube for all to see

please make this happen, the gimmie shelter/morning glory clip is no longer around and that had loads more

goals in it than the forgotten goals clip on youtube. we need a new clip for heritage

Guest BigDave

please make this happen, the gimmie shelter/morning glory clip is no longer around and that had loads more

goals in it than the forgotten goals clip on youtube. we need a new clip for heritage

Thats the video i have, just uploading it now

David was a great player and is a good bloke.

Value at his prime if it was today, well it would have to be around whatever the British transfer record currently stands at which i believe is £50m ( Torres ) but I might be wrong.

Someone said £15m I think at that price you would have a queue of clubs waiting to bite your hand off.

But please no more talk about stautes david for various reasons never forfilled his potential some of the reasons were his fault and some were not.

Lets have a statue of Megson with the Premiership trophy 2017 in his hands. :biggrin:

Guest seapower

My dad actually taught pe in barnsley when hirst was at school they used to have a staff v kids match and he said hirsty was terrifying to play against at just fifteen! Lucky enough to have seen him play - just awesome. Remember the match where he and shearer played for england v france got a half each, shearer scored. Hirst injuries took their toll after this, so frustrating not knowing if hed have made the leap to international level. Imagine him AND shearer upfront...

i believe he had the pace power n skill similar to rooney but a much better finisher. If only...

Fred Spikesley.