How good was David Hirst?

Guest duediligence

Guest Woz1867

If you did a national poll on who was the better player, Hirsty or Shearer, 99.9% would say Shearer. Just shows that that the overwhelming majority of people know fornicate all. The most complete striker in my lifetime (48 yrs). Shearer WAS immense but Hirsty WAS better. Would anybody have swopped them? Shearer also was a thug, Hirsty was totally commited. They are not the same thing.

As well as the goals etc., it was the chasing down of fullbacks and watching them poo themselves. If I live another 40 years I won't see another Hirsty. Rooney is the closest in the modern era, but hes about 90% of the player.

HE WAS THAT GOOD!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To all of you who never saw Hirtsy play, this is a superb summary. He did actually make defenders lose bowel control. There is a youtube video of him making Stuart Pearce look ordinary.

And those of you who said Hirsty is NOT the best striker we have ever had are talking utter shi**e.

What i want to know is, why have Sheffield Wednesday FC not released a BLU-RAY of all Hirsty' goals? It is something that would fly off the shelves IMO.

I doubt Wedensday will ever see another striker who could, run, tackle, head, finish and be as leathal as David Hirst.

Guest BigDave

It wasnt just his awsome goals it was the way he would compete for 50 50 balls.

Goalkeepers sh!t themselves because they knew Hirsty wouldnt bottle it.

Unlike just about every other striker we've had since. :angry:

That's just it, I remember 1 of the rags around the time of the semi final likening his strength to 1 of the pit props that held the roof up at the collieries around Cudworth. It has always stuck in my mind, a beautiful analogy

Guest gcwexford

I seem to remember that Francis looked at trying to buy Shearer before he left Southampton for Blackburn to pair with Hirsty - not sure how serious this was but would have been an interesting partnership.

i have just watched the forgotten goals on you tube my god power pace vison giant gonads what i player

hirsty was chating to CM last year and just telling him a few things trying to help him settle etc and he just looked at hirsty as if the guy was a nobody with the i know best attitude

The most complete striker I've ever seen. He had the lot. Scored with his left, his right, his head.

Had tremedous pace, could pass, could dribble. Scored goals from 2 yards and 35 yards.

Could hit the net from free kicks.

Tackled, chased back, went wide on the left, up front.

Could lead the line on his own. Looked good alongside whoever he played with in a partnership.

Should I stop there? You get the gist. A wonderful footballer.

Summed up perfectly. An unbelievable footballer.

just watched the hirst footage that was posted on here, what a class act the guy was, retire the number 9 shirt because no one's good enough to wear the bugger after him.

Everyone has been mentioning the Man City game in April 92 I like another poster on here was aorund the halfway line about 6 or 7 rows back in the North stand with my dad, watched hirsty turn & strip Vonk then nail it in the corner was absolute class. That along with witnessing the header past schmeichel in October 91 when we beat the mancs 3-2, fa cup final goal etc ( thats all I can remember at the min sure it will come back to me ). Unfortunately at this time I was still at school & didnt have the funds to suffice going round the country watching us as I did later on when I was working would of gladfully traded doin most of the 03-4 season to see a few more of hirsty's exploits on the field!

Absolute Legend & deffo better than some of the overated & overpaid poo poo served up today. UTO

For the youngsters who weren't around to see the sides Hirst played in, please forgive the rest of us for moaning about the teams we've had to endure over recent seasons.

Once you've set the bar at a certain level, every subsequent team is judged against that benchmark. No team since the early nineties has got anywhere near being good enough.

Perhaps a reason why older fans have been drifting away over recent years, or awaiting the arrival of a new messiah.

Could it be that a new messiah is about to lead us to The Holy Land?

I'll tell you this much. When this club gets on a roll again, you're not going to believe how big this club is. The atmosphere at a packed Hillsborough every week will make the hair stand up on the back of your necks.

Bring it on!

I couldn't have put it better myself. Hirst was the only wednesday player I've ever watched in the last 40 odd years where, when he got the ball and began a run to the oppositions goal, you genuienly thought he would score every time. My only dissapointment is the way football is now, we'll never see his like at hillsborough again...

Guest Bedders

Just talking about David Hirst in his Wednesday days gives me shivers down my back.

The money I'd pay to watch another Hirsty week in week out at Hillsborough. I'd sell my fookin' house to afford it.

I know there are people moaning on The Matchday forums that the attendance wasn't that great yesterday even thought they are on a brill run......but you would literally put off even the most important things to watch this kid (Hirsty) play. I've even heard of people not being at the birth of their kids to watch him play! I say kid he's 2 years older than me.....but you get the jist. He was, in his peak, a proper world class player.....and i don't say that in jest....he really was! Could score from anyway with any type of goal!!!!!

Best pure striker i've ever seen in the flesh!

Edited by Bedders

Guest hirstysbig toe

The best striker ive ever seen in a wednesday shirt,and my hero!!!!!!!!

Could have been englands best as well if not for the injuries. :mad:

The best !!!!!!!!

Pace,power and a great finisher .Cant remember the game but remember him recieving ball just in his own half turning his marker leaving other defenders for dead and smashing the ball into top corner with that great left foot.

Money could not buy the bloke if you look at what the likes of Carroll are going for.I suggest you look at a few of his clips on Youtube and make up your own mind.

I'm sure that goal was against Hull City and if I'm not mistaken he got a hat-trick that day. Quite simply the best player I've seen at Hillsborough bar none, it makes me weep when I think that I'll never see the likes again for us (Could Madine be his heir? lol). Every time I take the family to Champs I take my 4 year old to Hirsty's picture and say "That's David Hirst. He's the best Wednesday player Daddy's ever seen and a legend".

Guest wembley1993

The best striker I have seen play for Wednesday - if only we had a young Hirsty in our team now. What a player!!

Very very unlucky with injuries, he would have been the main man for England if not for these.

'Bryan Robson famously said that, “It’s not a question of who will replace Lineker, but who will partner David Hirst”

:Hirsty: :Hirsty:

Guest We Shall Overcome

The only striker i have seen in the flesh that was better was Ronaldo (the great brazilian not the pretender) and believe me i have seen some great forwards.God knows how good he could have been without the injuries.

Guest zico sterland

Dynamite in either foot,strong in the air,brave,quick,mobile,good awareness,team player, better than Shearer in my opinion.Would be worth 40million in todays market ,at least !!!!!!!!