How good was David Hirst?

Guest duediligence

Guest JonTheOwl66

Watching the clips on Youtube gives me goosebumps. That's how good we USED to be.

Hirsty is an absolute legend. Incredible player.

To add to those above :

The thirty yarder he hit at The Dell that almost ripped the entire goal out of the ground.

One at St James' Park in the old 'Celtic' style kit from the corner of the box.

That one that recently appeared on YouTube when he got the only goal against Manchester United at the Kop end from a fairly tight angle back in about 1986.

The flying header at Barnsley not long after we'd taken him from them.

Does anyone know where I can find footage or even pics of this goal?

Remember going to the match and something about the goal but would love to see it again.

Guest 03 owl

Watching the clips on Youtube gives me goosebumps. That's how good we USED to be.

Hirsty is an absolute legend. Incredible player.

With you on that one, Goosebumps, what a Striker of the ball.

And i so want to post David Hirst Forgotten Goals :biggrin: on you tube, i have posted it to death in the past, but still never get tired of watching it :biggrin: .

Does anyone know where I can find footage or even pics of this goal?

Remember going to the match and something about the goal but would love to see it again.

I remember that one.....thats back when the away end at Oakwell was terracing and the bugger was bouncing that night, awsome. :cool:

Was privelidged to see him in his pomp

TBF we've done all right for strikers over the years

Prendegast

Joicey

Mcullough

Bright

feel free to add more

I remember that one.....thats back when the away end at Oakwell was terracing and the bugger was bouncing that night, awsome. :cool:

It was my first away game. We were in the side terrace and I think it was the home end cos, living in Barnsley, I seem to remember going to oakwell for tickets.

There has to be footage somewhere?!

Only read the OP, but this is my take on Hirsty...

In his prime he was the best striker in the country. He had pace, power and could strike a ball with either foot (although his left foot was mint).

He could score any type of goal and did. It didn't matter if the defence pushed up, he would just beat them for pace. It didn't matter if they sat back, he would just leather it in the top corner.

We had a lot of special players in the 90's, Waddle, Sheridan, Walker... but Hirst was something different. Had it not been for his injuries then he would be talked about in the same breath as Linekar and Shearer by fans across the UK.

Hirst scored some of the finest goals I've had the fortune to see in person. A top, top player.

For the youngsters who weren't around to see the sides Hirst played in, please forgive the rest of us for moaning about the teams we've had to endure over recent seasons.

Once you've set the bar at a certain level, every subsequent team is judged against that benchmark. No team since the early nineties has got anywhere near being good enough.

Perhaps a reason why older fans have been drifting away over recent years, or awaiting the arrival of a new messiah.

Could it be that a new messiah is about to lead us to The Holy Land?

I'll tell you this much. When this club gets on a roll again, you're not going to believe how big this club is. The atmosphere at a packed Hillsborough every week will make the hair stand up on the back of your necks.

Bring it on!

Your not kidding. I remember watching Wednesday in the promotion season and going to every match not thinking 'Can we win' , but 'How many are we gonna score today'.

I can stress enough how GOOD Wednesday were in the early nineties. We were AWESOME!

:biggrin:

When he was really on his game Dalian Atkinson was a beast with thunder in his boots. I was gutted when he left, even if it was a hefty fee at the time (£1.75m as I recall).

And Paolo Di Canio might be the most skillful, if slightly unhinged, genius we have ever had up front.

Garry Thompson won't go down as a legend in quite the same way but I loved the raw brutish power he used to play with. I've never seen anyone able to smash a ball quite as hard as he could with both foot and head. Unfortunately though I think he was cross-eyed or something as his goal attempts could literally go anywhere.

Guest 03 owl

When he was really on his game Dalian Atkinson was a beast with thunder in his boots. I was gutted when he left, even if it was a hefty fee at the time (£1.75m as I recall).

And Paolo Di Canio might be the most skillful, if slightly unhinged, genius we have ever had up front.

Garry Thompson won't go down as a legend in quite the same way but I loved the raw brutish power he used to play with. I've never seen anyone able to smash a ball quite as hard as he could with both foot and head. Unfortunately though I think he was cross-eyed or something as his goal attempts could literally go anywhere.

So if you had 2 positions up front who would you pick ?

just to see.

Guest BigDave

nice one.

the one on 1.59 is flipping awesome. Can't tell who it's against.

It's the "is it Vonk or Curle" goal against Man City, Curle for me

Guest BigDave

That's one of his four goals against Hull - the first home game of 1990/1.

Is it? I thought it was Man City, must be my age