Megson's "six"

Guest owlinlincs

Erm during the summer would anyone mind if i claimed to be ITK as i have never done it and feel a bit left out

Didn't Evans (the assistant) say Megson was looking at players he knew, and trusted.

That would imply some of thise six players will have been managed by Megson previously.

Looking at Bolton's squad, the only three I can see Megson going for and possibly attracting...would be Robbie Blake, Ricardo Gardner, and perhaps Sean Davis.

Davis has had a shocking time at Bolton with injuries, playing only four games since signing, but if Megson believes he's over his injury problems, he could tempt him down to this level. I can't see many sides in the Championship taking the risk. Would it be a gamble worth taking? I'm not sure, but he's the wrong side of 30 and I think we are crying out for young, fresh energy in the squad.

Gardner is out of contract, but once again the wrong side of 30. I dont know too much about him, I know he use to possess pace and directness but has he now lost that?! He's played nearly 300 games in the Premier League.

Guest Big Guns

The names count for nothing, look how positive everyone was last summer. We just can't judge til the season gets into swing.

yes but dont 4get irvine was manager then

Just my personal opinion.

i think there are a number of factors why we failed with a promotion chllenge this season, but the main reason in my opinion was the recruitment of players at the twighlight of their careers.

For me more recruitment needs to take place from teams around us who have played a majority of games around league one. its a horses for courses plicy for next season, then build again if successful.

I worry that someone like Earnshaw would not be fully commited and also his number one ability of pace, may be going.

Teale, Sedgwick and Morrison havre all shwon that buying players from higher divisions doesnt always prove to be the right move.

If i was GM, I'd be sniffing round Rochdale, Exeter etc, offering terms to players who will further their career by coming to us.

Fair enough, I was shocked by your assessment that he is "Clinton Mk II" as they are different players. I think you have a very pertinent point about recruiting players from the league above for their final payday and it being a prime reason for why we failed this season. I also find it interesting that Megson has commented on Hillsborough being a retirement home, though I'm curious to see what Megson believes the word "experienced" means.

Didn't Evans (the assistant) say Megson was looking at players he knew, and trusted.

That would imply some of thise six players will have been managed by Megson previously.

Looking at Bolton's squad, the only three I can see Megson going for and possibly attracting...would be Robbie Blake, Ricardo Gardner, and perhaps Sean Davis.

Davis has had a shocking time at Bolton with injuries, playing only four games since signing, but if Megson believes he's over his injury problems, he could tempt him down to this level. I can't see many sides in the Championship taking the risk. Would it be a gamble worth taking? I'm not sure, but he's the wrong side of 30 and I think we are crying out for young, fresh energy in the squad.

Gardner is out of contract, but once again the wrong side of 30. I dont know too much about him, I know he use to possess pace and directness but has he now lost that?! He's played nearly 300 games in the Premier League.

Evans even when as far as to say they were players Megson "adores".

It would suggest they are players he's worked with which kind of wee wees on most of the targets people have mentioned they would like i.e. Hoskins.

If 2 of those six are Mellor and Rob Jones plus we need a ball winner, probably Joey O'Brien, then it ain't gonna look too different from this season If the other 3 players are a decent creative midfielder, a left winger and most importantly, a quick forward, then with a summer working with the team, we should be Ok. Not the wholesale changes some were forecasting though

I hope it won't be Joey O'Brien but Megson is probably having a good long look at him having sent Osbourne back to Villa We've seen what JOB can do, but that was a long time ago Megsons seen him more recently but must be uncertain that he could do the job If he'd decided he's not right for us, surely he'd have sent him back

According to the website site - "They are all British and have the kind of character to help us get to where we want to be." So it doesn't mention anything about experienced players, just one's who are up for the job.

It also said on RS that JJ's been offered a contract. Does this mean it's 6 + JJ?

Guest totemowl

I hope it won't be Joey O'Brien but Megson is probably having a good long look at him having sent Osbourne back to Villa We've seen what JOB can do, but that was a long time ago Megsons seen him more recently but must be uncertain that he could do the job If he'd decided he's not right for us, surely he'd have sent him back

Not good enough for the first XI but good enough to sign to strengthen this squad. Don't think so.

But perhaps has been worth keeping to the end of the season in case of injuries.

JJ, Buxton and Miller will be offered new deals IMO.

6 new signings takes us to a squad of about 30. I think the following will be made available/leave my mutual consent:

Sedgwick

Michael Morrison

Clinton Morrison

Heffernan (believe he has a deal sorted)

JOC

Hinds

Reynolds

Potter

Spurr

Squad of:

Nicky WeaverGoalkeeper 2Tommy SpurrDefender 3Lewis BuxtonDefender

6Michael MorrisonDefender 7Mark ReynoldsDefender 8Tommy MillerMidfielder 9Paul HeffernanStriker 10Giles CokeMidfielder 11Daniel JonesDefender 1

13Richard O'DonnellGoalkeeper 14Darren PotterMidfielder 15Mark BeeversDefender

er

21Gary TealeMidfielder 22Reda JohnsonDefender 23Jermaine JohnsonMidfielder 24Chris SedgwickMidfielder 25Arron JamesonGoalkeeper

28Nathan Modest (on loan to Darlgtn )Striker 29Liam PalmerMidfielder

32Gary MadineStriker

36Jon OtsemoborDefender

Squad of 21, then 6 to come in. 3 or 4 of stated list must go to get to Megsons wish of a squad of 23.

Edited by lincolnowl