Megson's "six"

Guest Bald Owl

We've got to make sure we keep any players we consider decent who are on loan at the moment. Rob Jones a must and give him the captains band, he's influential, calming, strong and supportive for the youngsters. He could have easily got man of the match every time he's started. Who else consistently heads the ball as far clear as he does? What a defender, good old school.

Edited by Bald Owl

So, Mandarić is planing on building together squad to get to The Championship just to dismantle it once we get there, and lose big money doing so, and bring whole set of new players to get him to The Premiership ?

I don't think anything he did so far suggests that is the plan.

No one as suggested that is what Mandaric is planning and no one as suggested that's what we should do.

You always look to bring the best players in possible that you can, be it an 18 year old or a 38 year old.

But it would foolish to turn our noses up at a 35 year old, such as as Robbie Blake because he may not be as effective the year after in the Cahmpionship because of his age.

If a 35 year old is good enough to help us get promoted from this league then you sign him.

Just look at Sean Derry as a fine example at QPR. May not be effective in te Premiership next year, bit he's done the job he was bought into the club for and that was helping them gain promotion. Now QPR are in the Premier League they will be able to attract a better (maybe younger) centre midfielder to replace him.

Eddie Nolan is out of contract at Scunny this summer. He'd be a quality signing IMO - only 22 years old and can play at left back or right back, so could fill in for the out of form Spurr or allow Buxton to play centre half. Either way, he's proven he can play for us and offers some versatility at the back that we have lacked this season... and he's available for nowt. Sign him up.

Think a lot of people need to get real about the amount of comings and goings with Megson saying he wants to bring in six. As he says he also wants to reduce the squad to 23, that will probably mean six leaving also. A likely squad make up of three keepers, eight defenders, eight midfield and four strikers

Think a lot of people need to get real about the amount of comings and goings with Megson saying he wants to bring in six. As he says he also wants to reduce the squad to 23, that will probably mean six leaving also. A likely squad make up of three keepers, eight defenders, eight midfield and four strikers

How do people see this panning out? As I see it, there are a few issues. The 3 goalkeepers take care of themselves.

We have 9 defenders plus 2 on loan. If we add 2 to each department, 3 would go but would we sign a new left back or bring in 2 new centre backs? Likewise we have 8 midfield players plus 1 on loan, so 2 in 2 out. So we have a choice, a ball winner, a creative type or a new winger.

As we only have 3 forwards I can't see 2 going, so it would be a choice I would imagine between Morrison and Heffernan. Tough choices here for the manager because he is not going to be able to cover all the weak areas in the squad and will almost certainly be left with a few players he'd rather move on.

if we get some decent midfielders in, then Heffernan and Morrison will stay and provided they get the ammo, they will get the goals!

defence, we have an abundance of centre halves, so i can see a few being made available for transfer

GK: Nicky Weaver, Richard O'Donnell, Aaron Jameson

DF: Tommy Spurr, Lewis Buxton, Richard Hinds, Michael Morrison, Mark Reynolds, Daniel Jones, Mark Beevers, Reda Johnson, Jon Otsemebor

MF: Tommy Miller, Giles Coke, Darren Potter, James O'Connor, Gary Teale, Jermaine Johnson, Chris Sedgwick, Liam Palmer

ST: Paul Heffernan, Nathan Modest, Clinton Morrison, Gary Madine

LOANS: Danny Baath, Rob Jones, JOB, Lee Nicholls, Neil Mellor

if we farm out the players in BOLD and the loanees, that leaves us with a squad of 19 which would then mean 4 signings to take us to 23. if we are looking at signing 6, as Megson has stated, then who else would be leaving. i can see him possibly offering another defender up for sale along with a midfielder but who is anyones guess ...

So, Mandarić is planing on building together squad to get to The Championship just to dismantle it once we get there, and lose big money doing so, and bring whole set of new players to get him to The Premiership ?

I don't think anything he did so far suggests that is the plan.

Why is it so hard to understand?

We want promotion next season, we've got to be up there. So Milan / Megson want to bring in 6 players who they believe can achieve that NOW. These players won't be developement players, because we don't plan to be in League 1 long enough to cope with the transitional stage of young/risk players.

Once this is achieved then you build on the success and evolve your player recruitment to match your targets and league status.

I see malek's point - Brunt, Whelan and MacLean played a huge part in getting us us out of this league last time - but kind of agree with Bruce Lee here. Mandaric said on the radio that not getting promotion to Champ this year will cost us something like 7 MILLION POUNDS in revenue! I would have thought his immediate priority will be getting out of this league next season rather than building a team for the future.

Building a good Championship team is only really something we can do when we're IN the Championship and can attract better players plus have more money for wages.

Guest scott_andrew_william

if we get some decent midfielders in, then Heffernan and Morrison will stay and provided they get the ammo, they will get the goals!

defence, we have an abundance of centre halves, so i can see a few being made available for transfer

GK: Nicky Weaver, Richard O'Donnell, Aaron Jameson

DF: Tommy Spurr, Lewis Buxton, Richard Hinds, Michael Morrison, Mark Reynolds, Daniel Jones, Mark Beevers, Reda Johnson, Jon Otsemebor

MF: Tommy Miller, Giles Coke, Darren Potter, James O'Connor, Gary Teale, Jermaine Johnson, Chris Sedgwick, Liam Palmer

ST: Paul Heffernan, Nathan Modest, Clinton Morrison, Gary Madine

LOANS: Danny Baath, Rob Jones, JOB, Lee Nicholls, Neil Mellor

if we farm out the players in BOLD and the loanees, that leaves us with a squad of 19 which would then mean 4 signings to take us to 23. if we are looking at signing 6, as Megson has stated, then who else would be leaving. i can see him possibly offering another defender up for sale along with a midfielder but who is anyones guess ...

Get rid of morrison n Heffernan.

Keep Miller

:huh:

I would sign David goodwillie from dundee utd and Eddie Nolan, Ricardo Gardner,and a young striker from a premier league club who actually doesnt want to take wee wee out of club and wants to impress manager.And someone to boss middle of park.........

Guest TRC_OWL

mellors got to be signed, 20 goals this season deserves a cheeky bid for him unless he's out of contract

Why have three keepers? I don't get it surely two are enough? We've got Carson/Myhill now. When Megson was in charge before we had Russell Hoult/Joe Murphy. that cuts down a position. Danny Baath is probably going to be recalled if the dingles go down

Edited by Guest