Tommy Miller

Guest Sheff Owl

From Today's Star.

CAPTAIN Tommy Miller has told The Star he is in the dark over his future at Sheffield Wednesday.

It was initially thought that the midfielder missed the 2-0 defeat at League One leaders Brighton at the weekend because of a hamstring problem he sustained at home to Tranmere Rovers.

But, it emerged afterwards manager gary megson had left out Miller from the starting line-up because of 'contractual reasons.'

Miller, whose deal runs out in the summer, is just a handful of matches away from activating a clause in his contract.

It stipulates Wednesday would have to offer him a new one-year contract extension.

The 32-year-old, who has scored nine goals in 36 appearances this term, said Megson told him before training on Friday that he was not feature at Brighton.He hopes to hold contract negotiations with Wednesday chief executive Paul Aldridge this week to clarify the issue.

"Gary (Megson) was perfectly honest with me and told me he had to pull me out of the team," Miller said.

"It is disappointing but what can you do? It is out of the manager's hands and my own. I feel like I am in limbo. I don't know whether I am going to get another game but hopefully it will become clearer this week and something can be sorted out."

Since arriving from Ipswich Town on a free-transfer in May 2009, Miller has started 35 league matches and made 14 substitute appearances, scoring eight goals.

He added: "It is frustrating because I want to play regardless of whether I get another year or not. Hopefully everything will be resolved sooner rather than later.

"The club are not happy with the current deal but hopefully we can come to some sort of arrangement.

"It is a strange situation because I am very happy here.

"My wife and kids are happy here and my kids are due to start school in September. I like the area and my family have enjoyed it."

A frustrated Megson said he had no choice but to omit Miller from midfield. He played Joey O'Brien in his place.

"I said two weeks ago that some of the things that go on at the club beggar belief and that (Miller's contract) is one of them," he said.

"There are a lot of things we have to deal with that are a problem at Wednesday and deal with it we will."

Judging from that there's room for negotiation and both may be willing to

Surly if Tommy Miller or is agent put in it writing to the club. They want to cancel the clause in his contract. Then this would be ok for him to carry on playing, until the end of the season??? if we're not going to extend his stay at Hillsborough, then he's in the shop window for another club. It also helps us out by having extra cover in midfield.

do we want tommy miller anyway its 32 injury prone on a bit of money 4k a week i heard not had a brilliant season yeah hes scored 9 goals but penalties and tap ins dont count

An article on his driving conviction said he's on 6.5k a week I believe. No way can we afford to let another year of that championship level wage to be added on. If he would take 3k a week for a year it might be worth a go, but he's hardly worth breaking the bank for.

I'm a bit undecided on Miller.

Would I want him to have another year on 6.5k? No

Would I like to see younger, more hungry players in the squad? Yes

Are there any of those out there who would sign for us? Who knows

If we can find suitable younger players (no kids mind, you don't win anything with kids!), go for it, but I wouldn't be upset if he signed again, albeit on a more reasonable salary.

Guest londonowl1

would love Miller to stay next season. For me one of the only players we have with a bit of quality.

give him a years extension, make him permanent captain and let him lead us to promotion.

We are a poorer team without him in the middle.

An article on his driving conviction said he's on 6.5k a week I believe. No way can we afford to let another year of that championship level wage to be added on. If he would take 3k a week for a year it might be worth a go, but he's hardly worth breaking the bank for.

millers another year older next year...

and we've seen what happens when you've old men in your side (in this years campaign)...

he may be worth keeping as a squad player...

but, not on £6.5k a week...

half that , maybe...

he couldn't play on saturday 'cos that would have triggered his contract extension, and undoubtedly on better terms than the previous one...

MM's, megson's, and the clubs choice this one... lol

would love Miller to stay next season. For me one of the only players we have with a bit of quality.

give him a years extension, make him permanent captain and let him lead us to promotion.

We are a poorer team without him in the middle.

i hope we're setting out to secure better players than tommy in the middle...though in a better m/f both he and coke could prove their worth...but, at the right price...

i imagine that tommy will be offered an extension (though at reduced terms)...

£2.0k a week, and a humdinger of a win bonus would be top wage if i was signing 'em on (paid to those who play)...

Edited by dnhc

For £6500 a week I'm sure we can find a better, fitter, younger and more consistent player than Miller. And one with a possible future re-sale value.

As for having to uproot his family, as with many others in the squad, hard lines. When you're part of a team that lose 5-1 to Exeter, 4-1 to Plymouth, 3-0 to Tranmere etc etc you suddenly lose a degree of control and choice over your footballing career.

All the best Tommy, shut the door on the way out.

For £6500 a week I'm sure we can find a better, fitter, younger and more consistent player than Miller. And one with a possible future re-sale value.

As for having to uproot his family, as with many others in the squad, hard lines. When you're part of a team that lose 5-1 to Exeter, 4-1 to Plymouth, 3-0 to Tranmere etc etc you suddenly lose a degree of control and choice over your footballing career.

100% correct.

Miller has proved he is a decent player in the handful of occasions hes managed to put more than two games together without being injured, but for £6k+ a week in League One we can do better. He's another player who we need to get out the door at the first opportunity.

Guest Sheff Owl

Weather Tommy is a good player or a bad player - his legs are gone, he struggles to get up and down the pitch imo.

The thing is he has had too many injuries and time for him to be moved on.

Harsh, but fair words.

The ONLY way I'd keep Miller is if he accepts a seriously reduced wage and is content with being fourth choice centre mid.

Other than that he's got to go.

spot on

he's never done it for me and is very lucky to be anywhere near 30 appearences this year

he scores the odd goal and some happy clappers think he's the next John Sheriden

he's the same as Purse was when we signed him too old and too slow and that was 2 years ago

we need players that actually want the ball when was the last time did anyone see Miller want the ball from a throw in,

just watch him he hides behind other players and always points for the ball to go elsewhere, useless TW@T

Amazing how a player can be unavailable through injury for most of his contract, but when he needs to play 30 games to get a new one, he's fit and raring to go! :biggrin:

and shafting the club up it's ringpiece has been the f*ckin benchmark for what appears to be ages now...some, a lot have been bleeding this club to death, and the supporters have have the privilege of watching it, and paying for it too...

LET'S HOPE IT ENDS THIS CLOSED SEASON...WITH THEIR DEPARTURES...

Edited by dnhc

Thought Tommy Miller was one of our better players in the last two games. not seen enough of him to suggest hes the answer for next season though.agree with most views, leave the contract situation to the directors.

i would hope for the money, we would be able to get someone a little more reliable and certainly younger. Better? im not sure. As long as we replace with better, theres not many players im going to be sad to see leave. what will annoy me is if we end up signing players that do no more than the players we already have. Megson HAS to get these summer signings bang on.