Tommy Miller

Guest Sheff Owl

lee strafford, wilkinson, irvine, whose to blame? which one of these sanctioned the clauses in the contracts, don't blame megson or mandaric for this one.

its going to take a lot of time to sort this pile of poo poo out at hillsborough and i just don't mean the playing side, be patient, we have been for years so a season or more wont matter in the long run, keep faith in megson and mandaric they are on the ball so to speak.

Tommy Miller is 32.

In the last two home games the 4 midfield players have all been over 30.

The good news here is it seems like 3 of them will not be here next year , pity Teale has another year left.

Yes, I know we won those games but it was not because of the midfield.

The biggest mistake over the last few years has been this desire by our managers to sign these kind of players while the successful teams are signing people in their mid 20's.

Teale would be a decent sub option next year .

lee strafford, wilkinson, irvine, whose to blame? which one of these sanctioned the clauses in the contracts, don't blame megson or mandaric for this one.

its going to take a lot of time to sort this pile of poo poo out at hillsborough and i just don't mean the playing side, be patient, we have been for years so a season or more wont matter in the long run, keep faith in megson and mandaric they are on the ball so to speak.

Why is anyone to blame ?

Again, if Miller had signed a 3 year deal in the first place no one would have complained. Instead they agreed on this clause for 2 years + an option (ie plays over a certain amount of games) for the extra year.

Miller was a free agent when he signed and we was in the championship.

Whoever agreed the deal may have saved the club plenty of money by not having to pay Millers "Championship free agent" wages for a 3rd year. Especially given his injury record and the fact we are now in L1.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's amazing how opinions on players change after TWO games.

Some of these players are mercenaries.

They care only about themselves and finishing their careers on an earner.

Some have let us down time and time again and from the way they "perform" you would think they were world beaters.

We need hungry players who want to be part of the "plan".

Some have proved or shown that they either don't get it or are not interested.

MM/GM know who they are and they can flip right off for me.

Nailed it in a nutshell. Until we get younger players, hungry to commit to a club for the development of their careers. Rather than focusing on the twilight years, and playing for a contract year to year, then we will forever be in this position.

Guest Distraught!

Again, if Miller had signed a 3 year deal in the first place no one would have complained. Instead they agreed on this clause for 2 years + an option (ie plays over a certain amount of games) for the extra year.

Is that in fact the deal?

Or was the deal after a certain number of games (30?) a clause is activated forcing the club to offer a contract extension?

I thought it was the latter which is weighted in favour of the player and not the club.

is it coincidence millers game has just upped a bit?

i don't know how many games the lads played but in my opinion the squad needs an overall anyhow, we need some young legs in midfield who are prepared to run their knackers off not someone whose bothered now and again when it suits.

i think miller may have the 'deon burton syndrome', start to play when its contract time.

Guest Buxtonian

I would think Megson will have learned from the furore on here about Miller and his none-selection, and will take a leaf out of Fergie's book and REFUSE TO SPEAK TO THE MEDIA. That should please most of the moaners on here.

Don't tell us anything, gary, and just let us carry on as we did before.

Is that in fact the deal?

Or was the deal after a certain number of games (30?) a clause is activated forcing the club to offer a contract extension?

I thought it was the latter which is weighted in favour of the player and not the club.

I dont know I'm just guessing. But if we go with what you say then whats stopping the club offering a totally unrealistic contract extention that the players never going to agree to knowing he will be a free agent in the summer (now)

Guest sheffielder68

I think it was refreshingly honest by Megson. Yes maybe deemed as being a bit unprofessional but the fans do have a right to know these things. You hear about other clubs not playing players as a certain number of apperences triggers a sell-on clause, or like in this case, you automatically get a renewal of a contract if you play a few games. Miller has played in the Premiership and being very successful in the championship, so you have to imagine that he would command a pretty hefty wage. On his wages, we could get a couple of young, hungry midfielders - for all we know these deals may have been done already. But despite him having some good games this season, Megson wants to rebuild the squad. I think everyone who is out of contract in the summer won't be here next year so Megson can put his mould on things.

Guest Distraught!

I dont know I'm just guessing. But if we go with what you say then whats stopping the club offering a totally unrealistic contract extention that the players never going to agree to knowing he will be a free agent in the summer (now)

But this is the issue that has arisen because the clause is in the contract.

Megson should have the freedom to choose his strongest side (which on current form would include Miller) but can't because of this ridiculous clause. Megson should be able to pick Miller without committing the club to anything. If Miller wants a contract extension, it should be at the discretion of Megson and the club. Miller should earn it, not be given a contractual right to it. That is why I am so hacked off by this development.

I agree .

Coke has all the attributes to be a good midield player. Good athlete, two footed, strong but for some reason in some games he just disappears.

If Megson could cure that he could be great for us.

i watched coke closely early season and thought he was a very good acquisition for us...

however, i feel after a while he had a look around, and saw the way things were shaping up...

and probably decided he didn't need to throw himself 100% into the fray...

i think with better players around him next season (hopefully)...

coke will once again rise to the challenge...

As said before. I would rather have this situation than miller have another year earning championship free agent wages. Of course we would all wish megson could play him but the Clause will have been in from day one.

It's probably only a surprise to us as we have only just found out.

we are hopefully drawing to a close the woeful situation that has had this club in a terminal decline (set in motion perhaps more than 20 years ago), each manager and chairman in turn have fought to turn it around with the few tools at their disposal...having to agree certain clauses to certain players will have been part of securing what was the best side available to us at that time...

now with leaner years ahead to come for most, we have some funds available...

the whole situation has to be turned around, and quickly for MM...

the ground and support are still those of a much bigger club...

the rest it seems have been a lot nearer a pub team...

i imagine even non league sides have someone scouting for them...

Guest sheffielder68

Just watched the same interview on Wednesday player - was the same as which was posted on the BBC site as an audio clip.

The Miller part is completely edited out. Any reason of this? Or do Wednesday Player just want to show 'postive' news?

No......the person who is unprofessional is the person who agreed to this in his contract.

Our past dimwits still come back to haunt us even as we speak.

To personally give Miller this kind of contract may have been irresponsible but its worth noting that they are pretty standard clauses.

Players expect these kind of rewards especially at Millers age - basically saying if I am a success here then you're going to need me next year.

The irony is that despite people mentioning his injury record the fact is he is on 29 appearances means he has been:

a. fit

b. a crucial part of our squad

Whilst Megson bemoans us having to offer him a contract next year if he plays it clearly shows he would still like him to be playing now. What will happen if he brings in a player less talented or less effective than Miller next year?

Because it appears that there is a limited number of games within his contract period after which he must be granted a contract extension. The same seemed to apply in Purse's case. This is a crazy situation forcing the current manager i.e. Megson into either dropping him or playing him and extending his time at the club.

As it happens, we have already reached perceived safety so Megson wasn't going to take the chance. However, for the sake of the supporters, the club and the team morale, we should be playing our best team. Miller's performance on Tuesday would rank him as one of Wednesday's current best players but we are unlikely to have him available again.

Imagine if yesterday's game was critical in terms of promotion or relegation. Megson would probably have played Miller anyway under those circumstances. It is shambolic that he is forced into these decisions by misguided policies followed by previous regimes.

Why would the club have offered these terms?

It must have been because of the age and dodgy fitness of both Purse and Miller. If that was the mindset when signing them, they shouldn't have been considered. The loss of both Purse and Miller through this weird clause will almost certainly have cost Wednesday a number of league points come the end of the season.

Miller played ten games in his first season, and has managed less than thirty this season. To offer him another contract would be madness, given his injury history. Of the fourty ish games he's played for Wednesday he's looked half decent in about five games. I don't minf d paying him for not playing for the next month, if it means we don't have to keep him for another season.

Guest Distraught!

Miller played ten games in his first season, and has managed less than thirty this season. To offer him another contract would be madness, given his injury history. Of the fourty ish games he's played for Wednesday he's looked half decent in about five games. I don't minf d paying him for not playing for the next month, if it means we don't have to keep him for another season.

This seems to be the thought process of Megson and/or other key people at the club. In my view, this is not the critical issue. The issue for me is on current form Miller would easily form part of the best XI that Megson can put out right now and possibly the few games to the end of the season. But he can't because of this clause in the contract.