Batth + Jones

Guest Buxtonian

Thought the back line, with the exception of Morrison, wh has the habit of drifting inside, and leaving the winger exposed.

Pleasantly surprised with the first performance of ROD - he lookes as though he has the makings of a first class GK.who is not afraid to direct the defence when needed.

So'ton gave us a lesson , however, in taking of corners and of free-kicks. Why do we have to put every corner into the front of the six-yard box? As shown, yesterday, with a half decent Keeper ,it's his ball every time.. And why,oh why, do we keep letting Teale take free kicks? He can only aim for the Goalkeeper who can come and take every ball.

What on ever was JJ doing yeaterday? He was crap from the moment he came on.

Still, I think there were positives from the game. Our chins didn't drop so much after we went 2 down.

Thought the back line, with the exception of Morrison, wh has the habit of drifting inside, and leaving the winger exposed.

Pleasantly surprised with the first performance of ROD - he lookes as though he has the makings of a first class GK.who is not afraid to direct the defence when needed.

So'ton gave us a lesson , however, in taking of corners and of free-kicks. Why do we have to put every corner into the front of the six-yard box? As shown, yesterday, with a half decent Keeper ,it's his ball every time.. And why,oh why, do we keep letting Teale take free kicks? He can only aim for the Goalkeeper who can come and take every ball.

What on ever was JJ doing yeaterday? He was crap from the moment he came on.

Still, I think there were positives from the game. Our chins didn't drop so much after we went 2 down.

agree with that summary buxton

Without being brilliant, best CB pairing we have had for a good few weeks

I thought Jones especially was like what Steve Bould was for Arsenal he was very talkative and got stuck in. I just wish he would hammer into the other morons to tackle and not sodding back off!!!!!. If we cut that out we wouldnt be leeking so many bloody goals god damn it. Oh and well done for doing a posative thread Im fed up of all negativity on here. No wonder Purse said what he did about our fans and hillsborough being a hard place to play football because of the negativity.

I thought Jones especially was like what Steve Bould was for Arsenal he was very talkative and got stuck in. I just wish he would hammer into the other morons to tackle and not sodding back off!!!!!. If we cut that out we wouldnt be leeking so many bloody goals god damn it. Oh and well done for doing a posative thread Im fed up of all negativity on here. No wonder Purse said what he did about our fans and hillsborough being a hard place to play football because of the negativity.

Jones got pushed around to easy, to say how tall he is needs more body strength IMHO !

They weren't poor but they weren't particularly impressive either. We gave them the first goal. Jones lost his marker and should have dealt with the situation. The silly mistakes are still costing us.

agreed considering the early harsh booking put Batth on the back foot.

There is absolutely no way that booking was harsh. It was a definite yellow.

Guest Blue&WhiteBen

Jones is what has been missing at the back, looked vocal all games and anything he seemed to win everything in the air pretty comfortably

batth did ok considering he was walking a tighrope after the early booking and was probably a little fortunate to get away with a few pushes and challenges.

not a fan of Reynolds at all & Morrison looked like a centre half playing at right back (no suprise).

really not sure who i would want at LB against D&R. would throw Buxton back at RB if he is fit though.

midfield was totally ineffective once Osbourne went off which didn't help

We looked okay til Osbourne went off - you'd never know which was the team at the top/bottom

We worked impressively hard from front to back and Saints were out of ideas - we needed a bit more quality on the ball coupled with more cohesion - things that come with time on the training ground.

When Osbourne went off Lallana got more into the game and the width opened up for them as we tried to compensate and did it badly - therefore creating gaps for Sainst to be able to play the ball around and move us out of shape more often.

First goal was a sickener - pub league stuff - corner into the front half of the goal and player nods it into the unguarded near post - should be meat and drink to a centre back really.

Madine was okay but a bit isolated - needed to get players around him to pick up 2nd phase possession - and what we REALLY need is for a player(s) to get beyond the attackers and reaqlly stretch the opposition.

New players showed promise - new keeper did well and all in all we looked a decent outfit for an hour of the game against one of the divisions top form teams

I think we showed enough to have some confidence that with a couple of strategic players the squad can be shitloads better - i also think we need to get a system and stick to it as insanely we're heading for a dogfight and we need to be settled into what we're doing.

From what i saw there's no issue of Megson having "lost the dressing room" - the players put in a shift but lacked a bit of quality - and but for one horrendous bit of set piece defending could well have held Saints - the first goal changed the game again further in Saints favour after Osbourne went off

Not a night for recriminations - a night for reflection

Strangely i'm very confident in the direction we are heading overall

Good post. Informtaive, positives, some negative issues etc. Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately I couldn't get to see the same game last night, due to every pub around me showing the flipping Rugby). But I was kept informed of goings on via my brother who was watching and what he was saying was very similar to Scrams post above. So when I came on here last night I was shocked with a large majority of the reactions.

But now I've read this it comes as no suprise that the typical negative, over reacting few on here are out in force once again with the usual "we're poo poo, get rid of them all posts", all whilst no constructive critisms or positives are debated.

Good post Scram.

But now I've read this it comes as no suprise that the typical negative, over reacting few on here are out in force once again with the usual "we're poo poo, get rid of them all posts", all whilst no constructive critisms or positives are debated.

Good post Scram.

But isn't this what usually happens? The result often dictates people's opinion on whether this formation, or that substitution, or so-and-so's transfer was the right thing to do? And when the next game comes around not only will they have forgotten what they said, they'll be quite happy to shift their position 180 degrees as if that's what they thought all along.

Guest Saturday Owl

Rob Jones is the kind of player we need in there, looked like he made every ball that went in the air his.

Danny Batth looks a promising player and did a lot better with Jones than any other centre half pairing has done this year bar maybe Purse and Buxton.

I reckon Jones will get a few goals for us before the end of the season from set pieces, if Teale isn't crossing it of course.

Batth looked small compared to Jones but clearly he's well over 6 foot. Good combination of pace, experience and youth between them.

Batth and Jones both had a decent debut for us,,(not outstanding,,but ok),,,my main worry is Morrison at RB,,he's gash,,,too many times he left a wide open space for the lad on the left wing to run into,,slow to close players down,,( but he's not alone there,,,ffs) often seen sucked into the middle when he should be concentrating on the back stick from a right wing cross,and his distribution aint the best at times,,,,,didn't think i'd be saying this after some of last years performances,,but hurry up and get fit Buxton,,were actually missing you,, blink.gif

Agree with most of this. Buxton has to replace Morrison. Not totally convnced about Batth and Jones, both lacking pace and will be prone to making mistakes but at least they got stuck in and we had some danger in the air when going forward. with regard to Reynolds he's getting better but still not up to speed and his best position has to be CB. Felt Southampton coasted it towards the end when they sussed out our weaknesses.

We looked okay til Osbourne went off - you'd never know which was the team at the top/bottom

We worked impressively hard from front to back and Saints were out of ideas - we needed a bit more quality on the ball coupled with more cohesion - things that come with time on the training ground.

When Osbourne went off Lallana got more into the game and the width opened up for them as we tried to compensate and did it badly - therefore creating gaps for Sainst to be able to play the ball around and move us out of shape more often.

First goal was a sickener - pub league stuff - corner into the front half of the goal and player nods it into the unguarded near post - should be meat and drink to a centre back really.

Madine was okay but a bit isolated - needed to get players around him to pick up 2nd phase possession - and what we REALLY need is for a player(s) to get beyond the attackers and reaqlly stretch the opposition.

New players showed promise - new keeper did well and all in all we looked a decent outfit for an hour of the game against one of the divisions top form teams

I think we showed enough to have some confidence that with a couple of strategic players the squad can be shitloads better - i also think we need to get a system and stick to it as insanely we're heading for a dogfight and we need to be settled into what we're doing.

From what i saw there's no issue of Megson having "lost the dressing room" - the players put in a shift but lacked a bit of quality - and but for one horrendous bit of set piece defending could well have held Saints - the first goal changed the game again further in Saints favour after Osbourne went off

Not a night for recriminations - a night for reflection

Strangely i'm very confident in the direction we are heading overall

Excellent assessment of the game and the players performance. I agre entirely with the last two sentences too

They weren't poor but they weren't particularly impressive either. We gave them the first goal. Jones lost his marker and should have dealt with the situation. The silly mistakes are still costing us.

There is absolutely no way that booking was harsh. It was a definite yellow.

In the context of what the Saints players were doing especially Fonte it was

Guest Sniper1

Im pretty sure Madine was picking up Fonte on that set piece and lost him, Jones looked like he was the spare man.

Will have to watch it again but im almost certain.

Well Done to Richard O'Donnell, very confident performance.

Danny Batth and Rob Jones were both strong and Jones looks like an organiser.

Micheal Morrison did ok.

Mark Reynolds, well he looks like he's got pace which is valuable at full back but terrible with the ball, i almost missed Tommy Spurr.

Edited by Sniper1

if these two players are an indication of megsons future signings then we have good times ahead

totally agree with comments about our best c/b pairing this season

no nonsense defending and looked up for the job

just the small matter of another 15/16 players now

Thing I liked about Jones was he was talking and directing before the game started then when ROD made his first save he went over and congratulated him which is just what was needed.