Do We....?

I think the original post is a bit of a red herring. I have heard far more offensive chants in my time and although I would never partake in the gypsy chants myself I can't get particularly hot under the collar about it myself.

What I do find unpleasant however is some of the openly racist attitudes that have been displayed in subsequent posts and the shameful attempts at justifying it. It really makes me uncomfortable and I dislike associating these attitutudes with the team I support. I have fairly regularly heard racist comments being made by so called Wednesday fans on match day (last game I went to people were abusing Chinese people who were just minding their own business). I thought it was a senseless minority who did this kind of thing but unfortunately this thread demonstrates it is far more widespread than I thought. And no I'm not a soft lefty, I just think people should be treated with respect regardless of the bigotted prejudices that some people hold.

I agree with that, open racism shouldn't have a place at a football match or anywhere else.But as I said in an earlier post I think the "gypo" chant is one that people are only just realising it may be wrong or racist. I think its been used loads in the past as a bit of a wee wee take with no malice behind it and was never picked up on.

I think people deserve respect of course and people shouldn't be generalised. But in this country now its like walking on egg shells. There are all sorts of people causing all sorts of problems but if you openly criticise people who aren't white then you run the risk of being called racist...even if you've got good reason to criticise.

For me its good that as a society we are trying to be more tolerant, but it is also getting a bit stupid at the same time when everyone has to pretend to have a neutral opinion about everyone else, as its not human nature to be like that.

Respect goes both ways ,racism also ,stop pandering to one side and ignoring the other , then multicultuarism may stand a chance, things like sacked from a job for wearing a crusifix WHY because it may offend our ethnic minoreties ,banning gollywogs on a brand of preservatives that has used the logo for donkeys years why because again ,it may upset the above. Our freedom of choice abused in all ways ,Now they are bleating about sharia law wtf for, are our laws not good enough for them, we have to obey it

Ido not mind asians living here or any other immigrants ,but to try to change our beliefs and way of life to suit there's Is just not on

And if that is deemed to be Racist so be it,

Respect goes both ways ,racism also ,stop pandering to one side and ignoring the other , then multicultuarism may stand a chance, things like sacked from a job for wearing a crusifix WHY because it may offend our ethnic minoreties ,banning gollywogs on a brand of preservatives that has used the logo for donkeys years why because again ,it may upset the above. Our freedom of choice abused in all ways ,Now they are bleating about sharia law wtf for, are our laws not good enough for them, we have to obey it

Ido not mind asians living here or any other immigrants ,but to try to change our beliefs and way of life to suit there's Is just not on

And if that is deemed to be Racist so be it,

Good post Trev

Can someone answer me this please?

Why can you change American to a different word altogether, and call them Yanks?

Why can you shorten Australian to Aussie?

But you can't shorten Pakistani to Paki.

Has anybody ever said why it is offensive?

excellent post, couldnt agree more everyone should be able to have their own opinions without the pc brigade ramming there left wing crap down our throats.

Those opinions, of course, having nothing to do with certain sections of the media ramming prejudice, racism and xenophobia down our throats then?

Good post Trev

Can someone answer me this please?

Why can you change American to a different word altogether, and call them Yanks?

Why can you shorten Australian to Aussie?

But you can't shorten Pakistani to Paki.

Has anybody ever said why it is offensive?

It's all related to context. "Paki" in itself is not an offensive term. It has been used offensively over the years however - the National Front in the 1970s used "Paki's Out" as a slogan for example. "Paki" is also used as a catch all in many cases for "Asian". The history of abuse that has been attached to the term, and it's misuse - not always meaning "people from Pakistan" means that many people find it offensive.

The same cannot be said about Aussie or Yank.

I suspect most people know this really.

It's all related to context. "Paki" in itself is not an offensive term. It has been used offensively over the years however - the National Front in the 1970s used "Paki's Out" as a slogan for example. "Paki" is also used as a catch all in many cases for "Asian". The history of abuse that has been attached to the term, and it's misuse - not always meaning "people from Pakistan" means that many people find it offensive.

The same cannot be said about Aussie or Yank.

I suspect most people know this really.

Well, I didn't know this, REALLY.

But, what i do know, having read this thread, is.

Some people say things on here, and are automatically branded and named as some sort of animal.

Some people try and ask a question, they then get the sly little digs.

To me, Trevdi9's post further up was good.

If that, and asking these questions," which most people know already", is going to get me branded, can i have this please.

biggrin.gif

because some people need to lighten up.

Guest woodeth

Do Wednesday fans support "Let's kick racism out of football" ?

Think Wednwsday fans have got more to worry about than a bit o chanting so called racist songs...i personallly dont think there is much racism in English football these days...except paul Ince, he is :)

We pamper to the whims of the do-gooders and namby pamby leftists too much in this country. Multiculturalism hasnt worked because many of the immigrants stick together and live in ghettos, by doing so they keep their ways and their language. If they cant speak English so they cant mix so what do we do, we put signs up in Urdu or whatever. Been round Tinsley or Eastwood lately?. These places breed mistrust and that leads to extremism. They do poorly in education because of this, and as a result they stay poor and remain in the ghetto. Its a viscious circle that we must break or the divides will grow.

The immigrants that mix are generally welcomed and befriended.

Well, I didn't know this, REALLY.

But, what i do know, having read this thread, is.

Some people say things on here, and are automatically branded and named as some sort of animal.

Some people try and ask a question, they then get the sly little digs.

To me, Trevdi9's post further up was good.

If that, and asking these questions," which most people know already", is going to get me branded, can i have this please.

biggrin.gif

because some people need to lighten up.

I was genuinely trying to answer a question! Having re-read my reply though, I accept that the last line can look like a dig. Honestly not meant to be. Just meant that people instinctively know that "Paki" is offensive but Yank and Aussie aren't really. :rolleyes:

I was genuinely trying to answer a question! Having re-read my reply though, I accept that the last line can look like a dig. Honestly not meant to be. Just meant that people instinctively know that "Paki" is offensive but Yank and Aussie aren't really. :rolleyes:

What would you call someone frm Pakistan then?

Guest BoomTownOwls

If chanting "Where's your caravan" at some Brummy scrubber who looks like he lives in a caravan then I guess I must be a racist.

There I was thinking that my policy of choosing friends, work contacts and employees based on their personality without giving two monkeys about their race ensured I was not racist. It turns out that I was wrong all along.

It's similar with my view on human rights. There I was thinking that my opinion that criminals who mug, rape and steel from the hardworking members of society give up their human rights and should serve their time in jail. Turns out I was wrong again. Apparently, these rapists and paedophiles should still be able to vote, whilst at the same time enjoying three good meals a day and having access to Sky TV. I am glad that we have these "thinkers" to point out the errors in our way otherwise this World would be a right mess.