Do We....?

Sociologists would argue that the idea of race is a false one - it's a social construct - not a biological reality. We are all human beings in this view. Racial differences are cultural differences and should be dealt with as such. This means that race can be self or group defined. Travellers in this view can be a racial group if they chose to self define as such. Cultural and social similarities are what define such a group.

This whole argument is a little pointless if we accept the social construct perspective.

It does show however that race is more than just skin colour. If we are proud of our race we are proud of our culture. Culture is a more developed and nuanced. I am proud of who I am, not because I am white - but because of (for example) - the Owls team of the early 1990s, the music of Pulp and the Arctic Monkeys, the Miners' Strike, my family etc etc.

So be proud of who you are. That pride shouldn't spill over into hatred of other groups.

That's a great post. You should post more.

Guest Triplej2

Different races and cultures always have and always will war against eachother, take the wee wee out of eachother, feel superior to eachother.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, it's a REAL thing.

Sociologists would argue that the idea of race is a false one - it's a social construct - not a biological reality. We are all human beings in this view. Racial differences are cultural differences and should be dealt with as such. This means that race can be self or group defined. Travellers in this view can be a racial group if they chose to self define as such. Cultural and social similarities are what define such a group.

This whole argument is a little pointless if we accept the social construct perspective.

It does show however that race is more than just skin colour. If we are proud of our race we are proud of our culture. Culture is a more developed and nuanced. I am proud of who I am, not because I am white - but because of (for example) - the Owls team of the early 1990s, the music of Pulp and the Arctic Monkeys, the Miners' Strike, my family etc etc.

So be proud of who you are. That pride shouldn't spill over into hatred of other groups.

Some excellent, excellent points.

All good points mate.

Well, apart from the fact they are utterly made up, they are good points.

:biggrin:

i know loads of pikeys from my bare knuckle days ,top lads and they dont give a flip about singing weres your caravan are we the firs club who are gunna sing himms and recite poetry at matches do me a flippingfavour, by the way av you heard bout the german plumber

What the German plumber who came round my house and fitted the gas pipe to my shower. Old habits die hard.

Guest bigblue

Alan Irvine was often referred to as a dour Scottish xxxxx on here. Was the Scottish bit racist?

Or, was it just an adjective?

Was he a dour xxxx because he is Scottish or just a dour xxxx that happened to be Scottish.

Peter Crouch is a lanky tvvat. He's a tvvat that happens to be lanky, nit a tvvat because he's lanky.

If you call someone a black illegitimate, is it because you think they're a illegitimate because they are black?

The insinuation in all of these examples is that it is somehow a slur to be Scottish, lanky or black.

"accusing" someone of being a gypo suggests that being a gypo is a bad thing. But if you are simply "calling" someone a gypo, isn't it the subjective view of the person who thinks it's racist that should be called into question?

If I say - you're a handsome fvcker - nobody thinks it's an insult particularly. But as a hideous troll, I genuinely hate those handsome wannkrs!!

Yet if I say - ah **** off you dirty gypo - the fact that I quite like gypsies is missed by the santimonious racists out there that pretend to be all PC about everything. You are the real racists!!!

Edited by bigblue

Only ever met monkeys close up, when I was a kid.

From memory, they went in for the 'we don't like windscreen wipers' chant.

:laugh:

Our dads must have been to the same wildlife park......although the day we went they were onto door mirrors. :biggrin:

Can't for the life of me remember the name of the place......Flamingo? Whipsnade?

wait, hang on a sec, you tell rape gags on the internet?

and then post this.............

is there any more an "uncertain background" than the internet? :blink:

my ex-gf was date raped, would i be offended if i saw one of your "rape gags"? no i wouldnt, but how do you know that?

i guess its my sense of humour to laugh at 'sick jokes' even if they are close to home, its how i get through things to, just to laugh it off

im not easily offended and reading this thread im bloody glad im not!!!!!! if something is funny i laugh at it

the thing that wee wees me off with this country these days is the fake outrage (see OP) and hypocrasy which (if you dont mind me saying) is evident in your above post

Gray/Keys is a perfect example of this (a joke between mates also) and there is no bigger culprits than the media as you said in an earlier post

the SUN -

Page 3 - bird with her baps out - Page 5 SUN EXCLUSIVE GRAYS/KEY sexist shocker!!!

im led to belive there is sexism on that loose women show, ive never seen it (honest) :biggrin: and they went to town on the whole 'scandal'

whatever happened to common sense in this country? if something is said out of turn and people are offended then apologise and move on

This isn't an "uncertain background" it's an internet forum I frequent and in a section where minimal offence can be caused. Unlike "real world" offensive remarks can be swiftly eradicated in the event of offence. It isn't a case of "Hahaha, this girl's been raped let's rumbleing ridicule her. Then we'll go round to her house and throw used johnnies at her windows", the jokes I made played on a construct of me having to resort to desperate measures to acquire dates and then further twisting it into acts of incest, etc. Plyed and coated with as much irony as possible and again as far away as such boundary-pushing stuff could directly offend.

As I said, there's a difference between making "Paki" jokes purely based on a nonsensical stereotype of Asians and then there's genuine irony and conceptual stuff in the same areas. Same as to just make jokes about rape/murder etc. purely to offend is different from playing with the perceptions and thoughts of others in those terms.