Do We....?

Guest Triplej2

there are some horrible, vile examples of racism, this" caravan" thing is definitely NOT one of them, people need to lighten the f*ck up on this one!

Can you actually be racist if it doesn't involve skin colour?

Isn't anything else just name calling?

and something I've always wondered?.........would a black person be more offended if someone called him/her a white barsteward?.......and what if they actually were illegitimate?

It's a grey area.

Its a GREY area :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Did you mean that???

Guest bigblue

Read Richard Dawkins' 'The selfish gene'. I think you'll find that racism is in our DNA. It's fundamental to our survival.

That's not to say it should be reverred in civilised society. If you can treat people with even-handed respect and decency, there's nothing wrong with being honest enough to admit that you see different races as just that - different.

The fact is, they are different. To deny that is both ridiculous and actually more racist than to embrace it.

Black people have darker skin than White - fact

Travellers are more likely to be a bit scruffy live in a caravan than country folk (as they call us) - fact

Daft jokes about only being able to see a black

man's eyes n teeth in the dark, or football chants about caravans, are harmless jibes.

Am I offended about being fat and a Wednesdayite (by fans of our local rivals for example), no, I'm a grown man not a child.

Am I offended by black people thinking that White folk have no rhythm and aren't as cool or whatever - no, I'm a grown man!

Am I offended that Southerners think I'm a Northern Monkey? No, clearly not (1) I'm a grown man & (2) WTF do those shandy-drinkin tossrs know anyway!

Edited by bigblue

I've no idea what you're trying to say to be honest.

Would I employ a non-gypsy over a gypsy? Hell yeah!

Do I hate gypsies? No

can I take the wee wee out of them? Yes (but not to their faces because they're some scary motherf*ckers :biggrin:

Am I offended about being fat and a Wednesdayite (by fans of our local rivals for example), no, I'm a grown man not a child.

Am I offended by black people thinking that White folk have no rhythm and aren't as cool or whatever - no, I'm a grown man!

Am I offended that Southerners think I'm a Northern Monkey? No, clearly not (1) I'm a grown man & (2) WTF do those shandy-drinkin tossrs know anyway!

And also the fact that you arn't in any meaningful way discriminated against because you are fat, can't dance or Northern. Whereas there is evidence in this thread that Gypsies are considered less employable, are more likely to be criminals, and LESS likely to pay their taxis.

To me, that's the dividing line. Of course no-one wants to live in a society in which you can't insult anyone for fear of hurting their feelings. But I do get worried when we start using racial/cultural/whatever insults related to a certain group, claim 'it's just a bit of fun', but in fact think that these groups ARE inferior in some ways!

Basically, I want it both ways: I want to be able to keep on being anti-French AND be allowed to scream RACIST! whenever I think things go too far.

Edited by cerebus

And also the fact that you arn't in any meaningful way discriminated against because you are fat, can't dance or Northern. Whereas there is evidence in this thread that Gypsies are considered less employable, are more likely to be criminals, and LESS likely to pay their taxis.

To me, that's the dividing line. Of course no-one wants to live in a society in which you can't insult anyone for fear of hurting their feelings. But I do get worried when we start using racial/cultural/whatever insults related to a certain group, claim 'it's just a bit of fun', but in fact think that these groups ARE inferior in some ways!

Give it a rest.

Do you I take offence to Thick White bread, thick kids socks on sale, all them sheep are white in that field, that cat is white oh my god, im not drinking cows milk its white, dont even mention wearing black socks and shoes lol , i should give it a rest :biggrin:

Give it a rest.

Do you I take offence to Thick White bread, thick kids socks on sale, all them sheep are white in that field, that cat is white oh my god, im not drinking cows milk its white, dont even mention wearing black socks and shoes lol , i should give it a rest :biggrin:

Oh dear my grand daughter calls her cat Blackie is that offensive to anyone,

Give it a rest.

I got a bit upset at the socks bit.