Do We....?

Some words are offensive and others aren’t. Its all about the context it has been used. (For example the N word represents hundreds of years of persecution for blacks in western world and slavery) As with the other poster who explained about the word Paki.

As a white English person I see myself privileged not to come from a country where I have never been persecuted for the colour of my skin. A few jokes on family guy about the English people compared to having your house and shop burnt out. Come on, jeez! Oh you poor Limey!

Just because people want to have to right of speech. ‘Well if I want to be a C*nt then I will be a c*nt, its my right’ and people can justify their views with their mates down the pub. Well don’t be surprised when you have a backlash or a reaction with other people outside the comfort of your little social group, because it is confrontational. I hate the fact that people think they can decide if other people should be offended or not.

Regarding the gypsies, for most people of this country a gypo is just a representation of someone who has long hair and is scruffy.. Seeing as the big gyspy wedding has been on tv recently it has brought to the front of the nations conscience, and perhaps what a contentious issue it is. I have nothing againt gypsies, I have something against lazy ass people who wont work and pay taxes.

Racism is not serious until it effects YOU!

Im not a member of the PC brigade. Ok If that means respect then I am. How difficult is that? Well for some Sheffielders it obviously it is.!

Guest Willie Henderson

How the hell has this gone 13 pages without being moved by mods?

Thought this was a site about Wednesday not people's view's on racism, f**k call it a day!

Just caught the back of something on TV this morning. That Wright fella

I think someone was on yesterday and said something about the Travelling Fraternity and now they have put a bounty on him. First one to bust his jaw gets 5 grand.

One one hand they dont want the world to view them in a generalised way but when it suits them the collective we isnt a problem.

BTW I very much doubt if the threat has come from all Travellers.

Calling Irish travellers a distinct racial group is rumbleing ridiculous and it gives them freedom to flout laws that others have to abide by

They're no more an ethnic group than white-van-man or scaffolders.

If people wanna keep themselves to themselves and not bother others and stay within the laws then i don't give a poo poo what they get up to.

I don't think racism is just about colour of skin, before "the pakis" it was "the paddy's" who were given a hard time for "taking jobs". Its become more about skin colour since europe became more accessible for arficans and asians.

White, black, asian and traveller communities all have their good traits and their bad, but at present if you dare criticise a non white community you'd probably be called racist which in my view isn't necessarily the case.

Guest BoomTownOwls

I am a bit overweight, not massively but a little. I get the odd bit of mickey taking from my mates in the pub. Does this offend me? No. If it really offended me, I would make a real effort to lose some weight.

If I was black or handicapped and somebody took the mickey out of me, would this offend me? Probably and there would be nothing that I could do to change it.

That is the difference in my opinion.

However, I do not like double standards. If we can have muslim only football teams we should be able to have Christian only football teams.

If we can have a society for black policemen then we should be able to have a society for white policemen.

If men are allowed to walk along the street topless without getting arrested we should be openly encouraging women to do the same thing. :biggrin:

And if a scrubby gypsy doesn't like being called a scrubby gypsy he should have a wash and get a job. :ohmy:

If we can have muslim only football teams we should be able to have Christian only football teams.

If we can have a society for black policemen then we should be able to have a society for white policemen.

From my posts, I think you can tell that I am against racism of any kind. And that includes ethnic minorities being able to take a racial stance.

Social elitism/separatism gets my back up in any form. Particularly if it is racially based (by any group).

I find the above examples unacceptable but my particular 'thing' is the BBC Asian network Radio Station.

Just supports the 'country within a country' ideal.

Just take a look. http://www.bbc.co.uk/asiannetwork/

Maybe I am missing something, but I have always thought that it was unacceptable from anybodys viewpoint, surely.

Whilever I have to listen to 'Your Just a townfull of turbans', 'I can see the mosque from here' & 'Id rather be p@ki than a blade' songs (examples from Birmingham match) ill consider kick racism out of football a joke. Ill also have the knowledge that there are many many Sheffielders are casual racists without a thought about whether it makes difference or not.

Whilever I have to listen to 'Your Just a townfull of turbans', 'I can see the mosque from here' & 'Id rather be p@ki than a blade' songs (examples from Birmingham match) ill consider kick racism out of football a joke. Ill also have the knowledge that there are many many Sheffielders are casual racists without a thought about whether it makes difference or not.

Sad, embarassing and wrong if true.

A bit surprised these chants haven't been mentioned earlier though?