Do We....?

No why.........do you?

Some races may be better at certain things than others, but i wouldnt say any race is inherently superior.

I'm genuinely interested - What is it about the whole being white thing that makes you proud?

I really do see your point, i think i feel that other races seem to be allowed to be proud but we as whites dont.

Or am i just a bit racist, maybe i am after all. :blink:

Perhaps it would be better if we were just proud to be ourselves?

Different kind of thread, my twopenneth;

I am white British, my wife is half english, half panamanian, (British non white) my son is therefore British mixed race, but lust looks suntanned all year.

I love it when she gets called Paki. Couldnt get it more geographically incorrect ! Have also been to parties where racist jokes are going on and then she walks into the room. Silence. I pi55 myself.

Her Dad jumped ship in 1939 from the Panama navy to join our navy and fight for us, so thats why he ended up here.

The term Paki was actually a term of affection for the touring Pakistani cricketers coined by the Aussie sporting press.

WOG stands for Western Oriental Gentleman and is from the days of the Raj, and is aimed at the upper class locals who held positions of prestige and is actually a compliment!

I must be racially relaxed to marry a non white, but find observational racism difficult to classify anybody as a racist. A white criminal is not named as white as white is the majority, other colours are named not due to racism but due to observation as belonging to non majority

I once had a mate who was a high flying accountant, decided to drop out and become a hippy and he has a great phrase;

The worlds a pretty big place.....................there's enough room for everybody.

A couple of years ago at work someone said "WOG", no idea of the context of the conversation it ws said in. Anyway, one of the blokes in the conversation does the old glance around and goes, "you know what WOG stands for right? War Office Garments..."

I lol'ed

Sociologists would argue that the idea of race is a false one - it's a social construct - not a biological reality. We are all human beings in this view. Racial differences are cultural differences and should be dealt with as such. This means that race can be self or group defined. Travellers in this view can be a racial group if they chose to self define as such. Cultural and social similarities are what define such a group.

This whole argument is a little pointless if we accept the social construct perspective.

It does show however that race is more than just skin colour. If we are proud of our race we are proud of our culture. Culture is a more developed and nuanced. I am proud of who I am, not because I am white - but because of (for example) - the Owls team of the early 1990s, the music of Pulp and the Arctic Monkeys, the Miners' Strike, my family etc etc.

So be proud of who you are. That pride shouldn't spill over into hatred of other groups.

I think being proud of your family history etc is perfectly understandable and legitimate. You have lived and learnt from people who you feel have achieved great things- that is something to induce pride. (And i certainly feel real pride in my family history and am truly proud to 'share the same blood' as some of them and to have met them.)

I just don't understand how you can feel that same pride because you're white or black or whatever though- i have the same in common with a black man from the Congo that i do with a white man from New Zealand or a hispanic man from Mexico.

Edited by TheBoyBeevers

you cannot sing this either, PC brigade don't like it, A Nursery rhyme.

Baa, baa, black sheep,

Have you any wool?

Yes sir, yes sir,

Three bags full.

One for the master,

One for the dame,

And one for the little boy

Who lives down the lane.

Neither a Black/White board, it is not brown bread its mixed or wholemeal its ridiculous, my black friends all say its pathetic, also some of them collected the Robertsons Jam things too, they said it was crazy to get rid of them. dreamed up that people might take offence.

i hope nobody has taken offence, i apologise.

you cannot sing this either, PC brigade don't like it, A Nursery rhyme.

Baa, baa, black sheep,

Have you any wool?

Yes sir, yes sir,

Three bags full.

One for the master,

One for the dame,

And one for the little boy

Who lives down the lane.

Neither a Black/White board, it is not brown bread its mixed or wholemeal its ridiculous,

All good points mate.

Well, apart from the fact they are utterly made up, they are good points.

Guest Triplej2

People who say they are proud to be white makes me laugh as much as when people say thay are proud to be English/British!!!!

Never understood it myself.

You can't understand people who are proud to be English/British? What a f*cked up comment. The fact that you aren't doesn't bother me, more the that you can't understand others who are. Very narrow minded.