Do We....?

One of our more educated posters. The voice of reason.

Obviously wasn't brought up in 'poverty' on the Cross like me. Doesn't make ridiculous assumptions either.

Is there any hope for me?

No mate, I'm on little more than the minimum wage as is my missus. I studdied as hard as I could to try to get somewhere in life and while I managed to educate myself, because of the poverty trap that I live in it got me knowwhere.

I'm sorry about the 'name calling' but I get infuriated about people ranting about so called injustices that are virtually harmless, when far more pressing issues exist within society.

No mate, I'm on little more than the minimum wage as is my missus. I studdied as hard as I could to try to get somewhere in life and while I managed to educate myself, because of the poverty trap that I live in it got me knowwhere.

I'm sorry about the 'name calling' but I get infuriated about people ranting about so called injustices that are virtually harmless, when far more pressing issues exist within society.

Really ? blush.gif

Guest Triplej2

I don't get you, you're articulate and have said you educated yourself. So what trap are you in and why does that mean you can't get a decent job? Honest question.

Guest Big Guns

We had a school on the Cross; Colley Comp.

**** me. You've had it hard.

well i went to colley and believe it or not own my own succesful engineering company ,and our old leader LS went to colley and he aint done bad either.

Thought I would join this debate from my position as a convicted racist!

Why am I a convicted racist?

Many years ago, as a young man, I ended up having a drunken argument with a man of Asian descent (he was kurdish as it happens....another race which has been discriminated against for hundreds if not thousands of years!).

The argument got out of hand and I swung a punch..........as I was anebriated it basically just brushed him with no harm caused.......for this action I was convicted of 'Racially aggravated common assault'.

At no point did his race, religion or anything else come into question, the argument was nothing to do with these things and they were not mentioned during the argument.

But because he wasn't white I am now a convicted racist........

Surely the people who convicted me of this are the real racists!!

The moral of the story being,never engage your super equals 'in the eyes of the law that is' pissed or not , because they will always play there joker.

I was commenting in a thread someone else started. Didn't realise that wasn't permitted, sorry.

Also, sorry about moaning (didn't realise taking a principled stance was moaning).

Thanks for the advice.

Don't be ridiculous you big girls blouse.

Oops, not the thread for a bit of sexism. :biggrin:

Don't be ridiculous you big unisex blouse.

But what exactly do you mean by "This PC stuff?"

It's an arbitrary term that's trotted out every so often and means nothing. The fundamentals of Political Correctness are pretty much rooted in politeness and fairness. In that I'm "PC" because I don't believe it's right to refer to peoples as "Pakis" "Niggers" or "Faggots", I believe that women and homosexuals are not inferior to heterosexual men and so forth. Basically, if you know that a word or action is going to offend somebody, don't go to great lengths to do that to prove a point in the notion of "freedom of speech"

You're obviously correct in that we are all born entirely equal and as blank canvases. Plus you "have to watch what you say" on a frequent basis, not just in front of persons of differing race, religion, sexuality or status. In the same way that I wouldn't make racist jokes to Asian or Africans, I wouldn't use string language or sexual jokes in front of an elderly relative, make gay jokes in front of homosexuals, etc.

There's no agenda behind this, there's no great conspiracy to silence people who have views that are remotely "right-wing". It's just politeness and respect, which some factions (mainly tabloids and hysterical bloggers) twist into being such an agenda.

Basicly im all for Political correctness and agree with what you are saying but its those who make an issue out of nothing. Those types really get my goat. Say when im with the lads at work and were having a joke like the one i posted on here but then you get someone who isnt happy about stated words in the joke (Like the above) and the make a big deal out of it. Its not hurting anyone is it? The "Paki" in the the joke isnt in the room so whats the deal? It makes the joke. Its not as though we have walked up to one in the street and told him the same joke is it.

Much like your Rape jokes. We find them funny but a rape victim wouldnt.

I don't get you, you're articulate and have said you educated yourself. So what trap are you in and why does that mean you can't get a decent job? Honest question.

Unfortunately I live in the biggest rundown shithole in the north of england (Hull) I educated myslf in the litteral respect long after leaving school I don't have anything more than a GCSE to my name.

My problems started when I got diabetesl and the local authorities shut my Taxi busininess down as a consequence . I can't afford to train and the only training provided by our wonderful govenment would qualify me for a job at macdonalds.

I work with loads of lads some of who have a hell of a lot more going for them than me but none of em can get a decent job.

Basicly im all for Political correctness and agree with what you are saying but its those who make an issue out of nothing. Those types really get my goat. Say when im with the lads at work and were having a joke like the one i posted on here but then you get someone who isnt happy about stated words in the joke (Like the above) and the make a big deal out of it. Its not hurting anyone is it? The "Paki" in the the joke isnt in the room so whats the deal? It makes the joke. Its not as though we have walked up to one in the street and told him the same joke is it.

Much like your Rape jokes. We find them funny but a rape victim wouldnt.

There's a side of me that says making "Paki" jokes amongst a group of like-minded individuals is still very wrong as it perpetuates the use of the word in its purely derogatory context. However, a lot of jokes surrounding race are rooted in irony and play on the old misconceptions of how we perceive and react towards those of a differing race. But then, if you're amongst like-minded individuals and you can guarantee that nobody will be offended in the slightest then uncomfortable as that may make me, it's a right of free speech to have.

Then it's not safe to use phrases like "Paki" etc. in a joke amongst an uncertain background as even though the subject or any Asians are in the vicinity, a lot of people still find it offensive as do I. Not because I'm an Asian, but because I have friends who are. Again, if you're going to use words that may unnecessarily offend, then the safe route is to remove all doubt and refrain from doing as such.

Unfortunately I live in the biggest rundown shithole in the north of england (Hull) I educated myslf in the litteral respect long after leaving school I don't have anything more than a GCSE to my name.

My problems started when I got diabetesl and the local authorities shut my Taxi busininess down as a consequence . I can't afford to train and the only training provided by our wonderful govenment would qualify me for a job at macdonalds.

I work with loads of lads some of who have a hell of a lot more going for them than me but none of em can get a decent job.

Yes, the diabetes and Taxi problem is known to me. Shame that, seriously.

See if you can finacially manage to get on an access course. Then try to get to Uni via that. It will be hard, but it can be done.

There are no graduate jobs ATM but after the recession ends you will be in a good position.

Both my wife and myself managed to get to Uni after the pits shut, as mature students, with two children.

It will be hard, but, it can be done.

Good luck.

Yes, the diabetes and Taxi problem is known to me. Shame that, seriously.

See if you can finacially manage to get on an access course. Then try to get to Uni via that. It will be hard, but it can be done.

There are no graduate jobs ATM but after the recession ends you will be in a good position.

Both my wife and myself managed to get to Uni after the pits shut, as mature students, with two children.

It will be hard, but, it can be done.

Good luck.

*Doffs cap*

There's a side of me that says making "Paki" jokes amongst a group of like-minded individuals is still very wrong as it perpetuates the use of the word in its purely derogatory context. However, a lot of jokes surrounding race are rooted in irony and play on the old misconceptions of how we perceive and react towards those of a differing race. But then, if you're amongst like-minded individuals and you can guarantee that nobody will be offended in the slightest then uncomfortable as that may make me, it's a right of free speech to have.

Then it's not safe to use phrases like "Paki" etc. in a joke amongst an uncertain background as even though the subject or any Asians are in the vicinity, a lot of people still find it offensive as do I. Not because I'm an Asian, but because I have friends who are. Again, if you're going to use words that may unnecessarily offend, then the safe route is to remove all doubt and refrain from doing as such.

This could be said of a lot of your own humour though.

Thanks reading owl and may I say I enjoyed our little 'sparring' session.

It's just occurred to me....Anlaby is just around the corner from Gipsyville isn't it. What's the history of the name? As obvious as it sounds.

Yours

A former Cott Road boy.

Guest JonTheOwl66

It's just occurred to me....Anlaby is just around the corner from Gipsyville isn't it. What's the history of the name? As obvious as it sounds.

Yours

A former Cott Road boy.

:ph34r: