Seth Bennetts

Yeah that is fair point really considering we have got Messi and CRonaldo up front at the minute. :rolleyes:

I was of the impression defence was the problem, that being defence all over the park, not just at the back. A brand new back line is Irvine's only hope of keeping his job, but it hasn't started too well! Let's hope this Reynolds kid is a bit special.

Yeah that is fair point really considering we have got Messi and CRonaldo up front at the minute. :rolleyes:

I've actually been fairly happy with Mellor and Morrison. When they've had poor games it's usually due to a lack of service. I don't see how Heff would have done any better with the awful service those two have had to endure from our sub standard midfield.

I've actually been fairly happy with Mellor and Morrison. When they've had poor games it's usually due to a lack of service. I don't see how Heff would have done any better with the awful service those two have had to endure from our sub standard midfield.

I agree with you to an extent, the service we get to ourfront too from our back 8 is abysmal. You could see from the moment the team was published on saturday that the plan was to hit it up to Madine (who did a great job in that role) but the plan was never changed when we brought on Mellor. Now you have to do one of 2 things and this might take a bit of imagination but you either play it on the floor, through the midfield, up to Morrison and Mellor or you put Heffernan on who will come and get the ball from midfield and work it forward. As usual on Saturday we did neither. The tactics are just poo to be honest and it is the sort of thing that you could put any sunday league manager in the country in charge and get a similar level of performance. The defence is disorganised (so he blames new players, way to get them on side Alan) and for the past 12 months we have played with a back 8 and no midfield. If you attack the other team wonderful things might happen!

Just not bothered...

I don't buy this poo poo about Orient having monster CB's and us having to play first Madine and then Mellor over Heffernan.

Why the f**k do we continue to worry about what the opposition are doing and how they are set up (why hasn't he figured out yet that we've actually got some half decent f**king players at the club)- Doherty and Daily for Charlton aren't exactly small, and Heff tore them to pieces by actually moving and showing for the ball once in a while. Even our useless central midfield can pick a pass if a team mate is in 15 yards of space. (Just about.)

Irvine is just negative beyond all belief- after battering Charlton for 45 minutes he doesn't trust that same team to beat (or even match) Leyton Orient.

Jesus Wept.

Edited by TheBoyBeevers

itll just be a rehash of the wednesday player interview,

looks like miller buxton and semi are out, why oh why dont we bring in a proper right back, words fail me.

in regards to new signing, lets hope the 3 players come in pretty sharpish, were already playing catch up with all the other teams in terms of just getting a play off place... its going to be tough,

I am hoping that the Heffernan situation doesn't evolve into one similar to when Mark Chamberlain was at Wednesday in that Wilkinson wouldn't play him and then when he did which was against Everton in the cup replay at home we were 5-0 down at half time. Chamberlain never had a kick that night after fans had been clamering for his inclusion.

Remember that mate , it was the days when we played with three centre backs and like you say everyone was demanding chamberlain play more , well that night we got our wish as Lawrie Madden was injured, seem to remember i was in the Blue Ball at half time wiping the egg off my face!

So it was all Chamberlain's fault and those 45 minutes showed what a waste of time he was? He was the most technically gifted player at the club, albeit a rather enigmatic one, and didn't get a fair chance. But of course he didn't subscribe to the Wilkinson way of chasing, battling and obeying orders so spent most of his time on the bench like the naughty boy he was.

I don't buy this poo poo about Orient having monster CB's and us having to play first Madine and then Mellor over Heffernan.

Just had a chat with my mate, a Coventry season ticket holder.

Coventry had Madine on loan last season, and its fair to say that his spell wasn't exactly successful.

He suggested that part of the reason for this was the fact that Madine and Morrison didn't work as a partnership.

Madine is great at winning flick ons, but Morrison doesn't have the pace to make anything out of them.

Funnily enough, he, despite not being a fan of ours, felt that part of our issue was a chronic lack of pace (bar Johnson).

That is a Coventry season ticket holder by the way, not the manager of Sheffield Wednesday.

Edited by SiJ

No not at all. I actually agree that there have been times when our forward line has been poor enough to warrant a change. So yes perhaps Heff should have had more of a chance. Doesn't chnage my opinion of him though. I still don't think he's any more than an average league one player and I don't think he'd score lots of goals if we had him in the team. Just my opinion of course.

To a certain extent I agree with you. When we signed Heff I had him down as the 4th choice striker but every time he has played, albeit fleetingly in most cases he has looked the part. Yes our strikers often have to feed on scraps from our midfield (which won't get any better now Miller is out) but he is able to show for the ball and link up play better than any of the others have done most of the season. With half the season gone Morrison and Mellor other than one five game spell have hardly been convincing and their combined league goals tally isn't much to write home about.

I am not saying Heff is a world beater by any stretch of the imagination but his performance last weekend should have earned him a starting place or at the very least a run out from the bench.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks Heff is our saviour. Maybe Irvine hasn't picked him because he's not good enough? Yeah he did ok against Charlton but people keep going on about that game as though he was amazing. Apart from scoring a goal that would have been tough to miss, I hardly remember him touching it. When he's played before his performances have hardly been inspiring.

I dont think Heff is our saviour but he is a very good footballer who can read the game from what i have seen of him, he deserve's more a start at least, i watched him against bristol and charlton, i think he is 2 or 3 steps ahead of anticipating and reading the game over all than the other strikers or midfield.

Not got Wednesday player so have to wait for the interview later, but judging by some of the quotes of what Irvine said above it sounds like another total cop out from him as usual. Didnt play Heff cause Orient have 2 big centre backs, utter garbage so does that mean he wouldnt play Messi either. flip off Alan, flip off now.

Guest Heffield Wednesday

it does when your target is the top 2

How many League games have we lost up to Now

and if we lose a similar ammount in the second half

of the season we wont be even in the play offs thats

the situation we are in.Here`s a shovel Mr Irvine just

keep digging

How about this then, crazy as it might be, Madine gets injured so bring on Heffernan instead of Mellor.

I know this is the sort of crazy thinking that might actually have us winning games rather than getting demolished by one of the worst teams I have seen at Hillsborough all year!

Yeah- because Heff would have made sure our defenders marked better?

Guest Sheff Owl

Not got Wednesday player so have to wait for the interview later, but judging by some of the quotes of what Irvine said above it sounds like another total cop out from him as usual. Didnt play Heff cause Orient have 2 big centre backs, utter garbage so does that mean he wouldnt play Messi either. flip off Alan, flip off now.

Is this what he said tonight???

In fact if he said this tonight or not i'm flipping fuming - this guy is a flipping nob head!!

I am really sick of him, i am sick of hearing him, seeing him and having him as the manager of the football club I flipping LOVE!!!

The guy is a flipping joke - ALAN DO US ALL A FAVOUR AND flip OFF AWAY FROM THIS FOOTBALL CLUB!!