Marky Reynolds

Guest owlsthatthen

Anyone who's saying 3 left footers will make us unbalanced please shut the f**k up! Lots of teams regularly play with 3 right footers, for instance Man U and Tottenham today and it obviously didn't affect them since they both kept clean sheets, playing 3 left footers is no different!

Guest totemowl

Am i seriously the only person who thinks Jones is weak? Spurr has his faults but he does get stuck in

I agree. Jones is not (yet) the ready made replacement for Spurr, but he shows promise.

For me, the good thing is that we now have two players in that position and the competition for a place can only improve what we have in that position.

without trying to hi-jack the thread, just a thought for spurr and beevers

with better players as mentors, it's just possible that they may salvage their careers

I don't think anyone wants them to fail, but I think they would benefit from a little time on the sidelines. I feel there is alot of pressure playing for us sometimes, the break will hopefully do them some good especially Spurr.

I agree. Jones is not (yet) the ready made replacement for Spurr, but he shows promise.

For me, the good thing is that we now have two players in that position and the competition for a place can only improve what we have in that position.

Are you saying Jones is not ready to replace Spurr yet?

Or is he good enough to replace him, but still not quite good enough?

If it's the first, are your rumbleing eyes painted on?

If it's the second I apologise, but still think you're wrong.

Guest Sniper1

Beevers and Spurr can get sent out on loan, both of em are still young lads.

See what they can do at another club.

If they perform get em back.

Guest Sniper1

Back 4 on Sat as got to be

Morrison(22)..Johnson(22)..Reynolds(23)..Jones(24).

Weaver for the arm band.

Good mix of pace and strength.

Our future looks f'king promising.

Guest Saturday Owl

Great signing and possibly the best this window, I doubt we paid anything over £150k for him with his contract running down.

Therefore it's given us the funding to bring in a big strong target man like Madine. Well done Alan and Milan you've both played your part in this and credit to you!

Also credit to Paul Aldridge the new Chief Executive.

My defence for Saturday-

RB- Morrison

CB- Johnson

CB- Reynolds

LB- Jones

When Buxton is fit I'd like to see a Johnson and Morrison centre back pairing with Buxton at right back and Reynolds at left.

Jones may be able to play on the wing with Teale on the right and JJ as an impact sub for games like yesterday.

Anyone who's saying 3 left footers will make us unbalanced please shut the f**k up! Lots of teams regularly play with 3 right footers, for instance Man U and Tottenham today and it obviously didn't affect them since they both kept clean sheets, playing 3 left footers is no different!

I agree with this. As long as they can both hoof it with their right foot should the situation arise then there's no problem.

Reynolds needs to play with Johnson at centre-half as already pointed out by Skyline. Johnson to cripple the opposition (like yesterday, how mint was it when he took their player out without giving a foul away, no prisoners...awesome), and Reynolds to sweep up the danger from the pacy strikers.

Jones is a great and very quick left back and Morrison looks completely in control at right back for the time being.

So my back 4 would be:

Jones---Reynolds---Johnson---Morrison

Best defence we've had since we were in the prem!

This isn't too big a problem.

Morrison at right back and Jones at left back could work well, particularly with no left footed winger.

I'll line the team up like so to illustrate what I mean

----------Mellor--Morrison-------

Teale-----Coke----Miller-----JJ

Jones-Reynolds-Johnson-Morrison

Forgive me, as it is hard illustrate positionally what I am envisioning with owlstalk formatting...

Having Teale on the left, being a right footer will encourage him to cut inside. This will give Jones plenty of space to over lap into. JJ on the right plays very high up the pitch. This means that The right back does not need to over lap as much; rather, they will need to hang back and provide a relief ball if needed.

With jones pushing on when in attack Morrison will come inside to form a 3 man defense effectively:

----------Mellor-Morrison--------

----------------Teale--------------jj

Jones----Miller----Coke-----

--------Reyolds-Johnson-Morrison

Edit: in reality, tela would never be that central but that is just to illustrate.

This is a tactic Barca use in order to provide Dani Alves with plenty of attacking freedom, albeit on the other wing.

Pedro cuts in from the right and Alves joins the midfield.

Not that I have any ambition that Irvine will try to approach tactics in the same way as Barcelona - but have Jones and Morrison as fullbacks can work perfectly well.

But do you have the coaching badges?!

Seriously though, what your saying is spot on.

Now I know the difference in quality is huge but compare thes two back fours and you'll see a similarity...

Brown/O'Shea - Ferdinand - Vidic - Evra

Morrison/Buxton - Johnson - Reynolds - Jones

Defensive full back - defender who can play a bit - the old school defender - atttacking full back

Daniel Jones is a million times better than Spurr.

Positionally they're on about a par, but Jones as much more pace to get him out of poo poo. Apart from that Jones absolutely blinds him.

Spurr has a few flaws in his games, they're pretty big ones.

a) He can't defend (and he's a defender).

b) He's a bag of poo going forward.

Not got much going for him.

Can only agree with a) there. I had the pleasure of staying in Sheffield for about 3 months at the end of last year, and got to see us play at home quite a few times. Tommy's crosses from the left were the best ones we produced from that side. His defending wasn't too impressive, though.

I agree with this. As long as they can both hoof it with their right foot should the situation arise then there's no problem.

Reynolds needs to play with Johnson at centre-half as already pointed out by Skyline. Johnson to cripple the opposition (like yesterday, how mint was it when he took their player out without giving a foul away, no prisoners...awesome), and Reynolds to sweep up the danger from the pacy strikers.

Jones is a great and very quick left back and Morrison looks completely in control at right back for the time being.

So my back 4 would be:

Jones---Reynolds---Johnson---Morrison

First defence we've had since we were in the prem!

Sorted it for you. :biggrin:

ill reserve judgement,

how many times have bigged up scottish players moved to england and turned out to be crap? the list is endless

its such a poor standard up there

not writing him off. just not gonna get carried away just yet

Morrison at right back and Jones at left back could work well, particularly with no left footed winger.

Forgive me, as it is hard illustrate positionally what I am envisioning with owlstalk formatting...

Having Teale on the left, being a right footer will encourage him to cut inside. This will give Jones plenty of space to over lap into. JJ on the right plays very high up the pitch. This means that The right back does not need to over lap as much; rather, they will need to hang back and provide a relief ball if needed.

With jones pushing on when in attack Morrison will come inside to form a 3 man defense effectively:

Edit: in reality, tela would never be that central but that is just to illustrate.

This is a tactic Barca use in order to provide Dani Alves with plenty of attacking freedom, albeit on the other wing.

Not that I have any ambition that Irvine will try to approach tactics in the same way as Barcelona - but have Jones and Morrison as fullbacks can work perfectly well.

Good post Random, nice to come across someone seriously thinking about the game; You're probably right about the three at back with 5 across middle particularly in away games. It also, if adopted, means that you can ask Teal and JJ to completely empty their tanks in Home games as they would be rested in away games where 5 man midfield was used. May not happen though because I also tend to agree that there is a danger of information overload for what is a totally new team.

Exciting times though, UTO WTID

Am i seriously the only person who thinks Jones is weak? Spurr has his faults but he does get stuck in

Spurr doesn't get close enough to the opposition to get struck. He couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag that soft lad.

Edited by Rogers

flipping amazing ..........

I'm pretty certain Irvine will see our best back four as...

Buxton - Morrison - Johnson - Reynolds

I think that's pretty good.

Yes, and it's the first time anyone in this thread has talked sense. All the other have a left back at right back and a right back at left back

WRONG WAY AROUND