Marky Reynolds

Guest owlsthatthen

Guest owlsthatthen

I can't honestly blame Mark Reynolds for wanting to move on. His performances did dip quite a bit during the past couple of seasons but I think that was more down to him playing beside a couple of right wallies in Graham Smith and Stephen Craigan.

I believe his original position prior to coming into the first team was left back and he was only originally supposed to be a fill-in as left centre back. Although he filled the position really well and always played for the jersey I really don't think he was comfortable playing there.

With his pace and passing ability I always felt he would have been better at left back or even left midfield - I think Jim Gannon felt this too as he did start him at left back a few times with a fair bit of succcess.

S.Wednesday are a big club and although (like a few others) lost their way a couple seasons back I think they will get at least get back to the Championship level. Mark is only 22 so this might be the first move up to bigger and better things as he will get noticed.

All the very best Mark and good luck for your future career.

http://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=9677

Interesting that he's filling in as a centre back, and his natural position is a left-back I thought it was the other way round.

I'm guessing that means our defence could be something like:

Reynolds- THE RADIATOR - Morrison/Buxton/Beevers - Buxton/Morrison

With Jones playing left midfield? Or Reynolds is going to play centre and we'll have

Jones - THE RADIATOR - Reynolds - Morrison?

Edited by enigmamedusa

Interesting that he's filling in as a centre back, and his natural position is a left-back I thought it was the other way round.

With Jones playing left midfield? Or Reynolds is going to play centre and we'll have

No Purse?

I'd like to know what opinions from Livingston fans were on McGovern when he joined us. Just to see what his old club thought of a player at the time he left, one who would go on to do so well for us.

I joined Owlstalk that summer and I can't remember if they were positive about him or not.

Just to get some sort of comparison with Reynolds with him being an SPL player joining us in League One.

Cant be this Jones Johnson Reynolds Morrison

since Morrison is not a naturall full back and it was clearly identified against charlton but more importantly the other three are all left footers and this will make it unbalnced.

Guest totemowl

He played for the U21's at centre back. Why should we use him as anything else.

I'd take those comments with a pinch of salt.

Guest bigblue

My preferred choice would be...

Reynolds - Johnson - Morrison/Buxton - new right back

We still don't have a proper right back at the club, which is a concern!

Edited by bigblue

Am i seriously the only person who thinks Jones is weak? Spurr has his faults but he does get stuck in

Daniel Jones is a million times better than Spurr.

Positionally they're on about a par, but Jones as much more pace to get him out of poo poo. Apart from that Jones absolutely blinds him.

Spurr has a few flaws in his games, they're pretty big ones.

a) He can't defend (and he's a defender).

b) He's a bag of poo going forward.

Not got much going for him.

He's a centre back. He started off as a left back but has playing there for years now. Years isn't "filling in".

An article from 2010:

Motherwell's Mark Reynolds has caught the eye of clubs in England, according to his manager Craig Brown.

Brown's side have only conceded two goals in 10 SPL games and reports have linked centre-back Reynolds with PSV Eindhoven in the Netherlands.

"I don't know about the Dutch but I know of interest from England because I've spoken to one or two managers who have asked me about him," Brown said.

"I can only give him the highest possible praise - he is outstanding."

Reynolds was the subject of a £750,000 bid from Rangers in the summer of 2008 that was promptly rebuffed by the Fir Park club.

He has been a regular starter in Brown's rearguard and the former Scotland manager insists the 22-year-old defender would do well in England, but it would be a great loss to the Lanarkshire club.

"He deserves a successful career at the top level," said Brown of the player who is under contract until May 2011.

"To go to England, the finance is totally different and it would be a good move for him.

"Not a good move for us but it would be a good move for Mark Reynolds and it would be churlish of us not to give him that opportunity if it comes."

Mark will be a top, top signing for us.

Guest starrydave

I think that now is his time to go (spurr). Honestly, I think at another club he will prove to be a decent left back. He's looked so tired and disinterested recently.

My preferred choice would be...

Reynolds - Johnson - Morrison/Buxton - new right back

We still don't have a proper right back at the club, which is a concern!

This isn't too big a problem.

Morrison at right back and Jones at left back could work well, particularly with no left footed winger.

I'll line the team up like so to illustrate what I mean

----------Mellor--Morrison-------

Teale-----Coke----Miller-----JJ

Jones-Reynolds-Johnson-Morrison

Forgive me, as it is hard illustrate positionally what I am envisioning with owlstalk formatting...

Having Teale on the left, being a right footer will encourage him to cut inside. This will give Jones plenty of space to over lap into. JJ on the right plays very high up the pitch. This means that The right back does not need to over lap as much; rather, they will need to hang back and provide a relief ball if needed.

With jones pushing on when in attack Morrison will come inside to form a 3 man defense effectively:

----------Mellor-Morrison--------

----------------Teale--------------jj

Jones----Miller----Coke-----

--------Reyolds-Johnson-Morrison

Edit: in reality, tela would never be that central but that is just to illustrate.

This is a tactic Barca use in order to provide Dani Alves with plenty of attacking freedom, albeit on the other wing.

Pedro cuts in from the right and Alves joins the midfield.

Not that I have any ambition that Irvine will try to approach tactics in the same way as Barcelona - but have Jones and Morrison as fullbacks can work perfectly well.

Edited by Random Task

Guest starrydave

He's a centre back. He started off as a left back but has playing there for years now. Years isn't "filling in".

An article from 2010:

Motherwell's Mark Reynolds has caught the eye of clubs in England, according to his manager Craig Brown.

Brown's side have only conceded two goals in 10 SPL games and reports have linked centre-back Reynolds with PSV Eindhoven in the Netherlands.

"I don't know about the Dutch but I know of interest from England because I've spoken to one or two managers who have asked me about him," Brown said.

"I can only give him the highest possible praise - he is outstanding."

Reynolds was the subject of a £750,000 bid from Rangers in the summer of 2008 that was promptly rebuffed by the Fir Park club.

He has been a regular starter in Brown's rearguard and the former Scotland manager insists the 22-year-old defender would do well in England, but it would be a great loss to the Lanarkshire club.

"He deserves a successful career at the top level," said Brown of the player who is under contract until May 2011.

"To go to England, the finance is totally different and it would be a good move for him.

"Not a good move for us but it would be a good move for Mark Reynolds and it would be churlish of us not to give him that opportunity if it comes."

Mark will be a top, top signing for us.

only conceded 2 goals in 10 games...? Sweet rumbleing norah!

If he's got pace, he really needs to be playing center back.

We lack pace there, Johnson is our big, strong player we need Reynolds there to cover for pace, especially when playing against fast strikers, and with Jones at LB that's some good pace in our defence.

Morisson can stay RB, he played well there for me.

without trying to hi-jack the thread, just a thought for spurr and beevers

with better players as mentors, it's just possible that they may salvage their careers

Beevers and Spurr are living off one good season each 2-3 years ago.

We are building so I'm not clamoring for them to be sold, but wouldn't be aggrieved if either left.