Marky Reynolds

Guest owlsthatthen

I agree Reynolds sounds like a fantastic signing, amazed he didn't go to at least the champ!

Gives us great versatility being comfortable at both LB and CB too, no offence to Irvine but surely this was nearly all Mandaric's doing (and Aldridge too I guess)- I can't imagine Irvine was much of a pulling factor once reynolds met him, so massive credit to MM (and aldridge)!

Glad people aren't writing off Daniel Jones too, I thought I was one of only a few who rated him but clearly not! I really hope we keep him at LB (and put Reynolds CB) as he gives us much more attacking emphasis as we have 2 people bombing down the flanks on the left (2nd half of last game was playing behind Sedgey who got knackered and Jones was covering pretty much the whole of the left side to himself!)

And clichéd nonsense post of the year goes to...

There isn't a country in the world with a similar population that has a standard of football as high as it is in Scotland. Name me one country with 5 million people or less that has as many football teams that play at the standard Scottish football does. I bet you can't...

Fair enough it is poor at the top compared to the top of the top leagues in Europe, but the best teams and the best players in the SPL are easily better than the standard we are at. League 1 is awful.

There are a number of players who weren't playing in starting XI's in the SPL that have become stars in the CCC. From my team Lee Johnson and Jamie McAllister who were benchwarmers at best are now regular first teamers at Bristol City. Roman Bednar couldn't get a game regularly at Hearts and he was one of the players of the season for WBA in the CCC recently. Charlie Adam couldn't get a game at Rangers and now he is one of the hottest properties in the EPL. It works both ways.

If you are worried about where Reynolds has come from there are numerous players that are stars and play week in week out that have come from small clubs in the "poor standard" of Scottish football.

Cardiff - McNaughton.

Norwich - Hoolahan.

Leeds - Snodgrass, Collins.

WBA - Dorrans.

Watford - Cowie, McGinn.

Coventry - McPake.

Palace - Speroni.

Ipswich - Scotland.

That's just a few off the top of my head.

I've said it a number of times but believe me Reynolds is and will be a top signing. It really is a huge coup for the club. Getting Reynolds to drop down to this level of football after attracting the likes of Rangers and PSV is a real credit to Alan Irvine.

:laugh: Gulf in class?

You do know we're in the 3rd Division right?

Ooh i won something! lol

I did'nt mean to sound disrespectful, its just my opinion, yes there may be the odd player that does well down here but theres a whole load more that don't thats the only reason im not getting carried away.

Im sure we could both sit here all day and list players that have failed/done well but anyway a few that stick out-

Stokes - 3 goal a season man for palace, goes to Celtic and is one of their best players

Hutton - Car crash of a right back, 8 million!!!!!!

Ferguson - ran the show for Rangers but done absolutely nothing down here

Boyd - all time SPL scorer, how many does he have this season for Boro??

Cadamateri - he wouldnt even get a game for a league 2 side

Strachan has bought half the SPL at boro and nearly ruined them

From the same blackpool team as Adam, we have the one and only Luke Varney! some players excell at some clubs but not others (not heard anything about Beattie at rangers?), im just saying the record of Scottish players that have been highly rated and come down here is not great

I believe there are 5-6 teams league 1 that could easily finish 3rd in SPL, again just my opinion

as for countries with a similar population and similar standard of league... Norway? Croatia? Denmark?

And clichéd nonsense post of the year goes to...

There isn't a country in the world with a similar population that has a standard of football as high as it is in Scotland. Name me one country with 5 million people or less that has as many football teams that play at the standard Scottish football does. I bet you can't...

Fair enough it is poor at the top compared to the top of the top leagues in Europe, but the best teams and the best players in the SPL are easily better than the standard we are at. League 1 is awful.

There are a number of players who weren't playing in starting XI's in the SPL that have become stars in the CCC. From my team Lee Johnson and Jamie McAllister who were benchwarmers at best are now regular first teamers at Bristol City. Roman Bednar couldn't get a game regularly at Hearts and he was one of the players of the season for WBA in the CCC recently. Charlie Adam couldn't get a game at Rangers and now he is one of the hottest properties in the EPL. It works both ways.

If you are worried about where Reynolds has come from there are numerous players that are stars and play week in week out that have come from small clubs in the "poor standard" of Scottish football.

Cardiff - McNaughton.

Norwich - Hoolahan.

Leeds - Snodgrass, Collins.

WBA - Dorrans.

Watford - Cowie, McGinn.

Coventry - McPake.

Palace - Speroni.

Ipswich - Scotland.

That's just a few off the top of my head.

I've said it a number of times but believe me Reynolds is and will be a top signing. It really is a huge coup for the club. Getting Reynolds to drop down to this level of football after attracting the likes of Rangers and PSV is a real credit to Alan Irvine.

:laugh: Gulf in class?

You do know we're in the 3rd Division right?

Gordon at Sunderland

Adam at Blackpool

Ooh i won something! lol

I did'nt mean to sound disrespectful, its just my opinion, yes there may be the odd player that does well down here but theres a whole load more that don't thats the only reason im not getting carried away.

Im sure we could both sit here all day and list players that have failed/done well but anyway a few that stick out-

Stokes - 3 goal a season man for palace, goes to Celtic and is one of their best players

Hutton - Car crash of a right back, 8 million!!!!!!

Ferguson - ran the show for Rangers but done absolutely nothing down here

Boyd - all time SPL scorer, how many does he have this season for Boro??

Cadamateri - he wouldnt even get a game for a league 2 side

Strachan has bought half the SPL at boro and nearly ruined them

From the same blackpool team as Adam, we have the one and only Luke Varney! some players excell at some clubs but not others (not heard anything about Beattie at rangers?), im just saying the record of Scottish players that have been highly rated and come down here is not great

I believe there are 5-6 teams league 1 that could easily finish 3rd in SPL, again just my opinion

as for countries with a similar population and similar standard of league... Norway? Croatia? Denmark?

Your entitled to your opinion but I question your knowledge of the Scottish game. I bet you don't watch it at all nevermind regularly. None of the countries that you mentioned have a top flight of a better standard. As for 6 League 1 clubs finishing 3rd in the SPL? Laughable. Hearts are by far and away better than every team in League 1.

Your points:

Stokes fair enough. He flopped in England.

Hutton has played 18 league matches this season for Spurs. The Kyles went for similar figures as Hutton to the same club. Where are they?

Barry Ferguson plays week in week out for Birmingham and was the players' player of the year last season.

Boyd is lazy and despite his goals I don't rate him that highly. He was only successful at Rangers because he had all the work done for him. His chances were put on a plate and he had a poor scoring record in big games and against the better SPL clubs. Good goalscorer but lazy footballer.

Cadamarteri has 4 goals in 29 SPL appearances. He's poo and not good enough for the league.

There are numerous Scottish players and players from the Scottish leagues that are playing at a good standard in England. We are very lucky that Reynolds has lowered himself to going to League 1. Believe me.

Your entitled to your opinion but I question your knowledge of the Scottish game. I bet you don't watch it at all nevermind regularly. None of the countries that you mentioned have a top flight of a better standard. As for 6 League 1 clubs finishing 3rd in the SPL? Laughable. Hearts are by far and away better than every team in League 1.

Your points:

Stokes fair enough. He flopped in England.

Hutton has played 18 league matches this season for Spurs. The Kyles went for similar figures as Hutton to the same club. Where are they?

Barry Ferguson plays week in week out for Birmingham and was the players' player of the year last season.

Boyd is lazy and despite his goals I don't rate him that highly. He was only successful at Rangers because he had all the work done for him. His chances were put on a plate and he had a poor scoring record in big games and against the better SPL clubs. Good goalscorer but lazy footballer.

Cadamarteri has 4 goals in 29 SPL appearances. He's poo and not good enough for the league.

There are numerous Scottish players and players from the Scottish leagues that are playing at a good standard in England. We are very lucky that Reynolds has lowered himself to going to League 1. Believe me.

fair enough pal

your right, i dont watch Scottish football

i was basing my opinions purely on the scottish lads that have come down here and Scottish teams results in Europe

didnt Motherwell play some norwegian team earlier this season and lose twice?

im at work so cant confirm

i think its a bit unfair to compare the kyle's with hutton, they are very much players for the future, isnt hutton 26/27?

fair point on cadamateri, i thought he was quite popular up there

im not saying reynolds is definately crap, just that ill reserve judgement

either way its great that Wednesday can once again compete with clubs over what sounds like a sought after player

fair enough pal

your right, i dont watch Scottish football

i was basing my opinions purely on the scottish lads that have come down here and Scottish teams results in Europe

didnt Motherwell play some norwegian team earlier this season and lose twice?

im at work so cant confirm

i think its a bit unfair to compare the kyle's with hutton, they are very much players for the future, isnt hutton 26/27?

fair point on cadamateri, i thought he was quite popular up there

im not saying reynolds is definately crap, just that ill reserve judgement

either way its great that Wednesday can once again compete with clubs over what sounds like a sought after player

I can understand your reservations after the players we signed in our Prem days (they were crap), but to say what you did whilst having little knowledge on the game up here is a bit off. I watch both regulaly (I'm a season ticket holder at Hillsborough) and I'm just sick of people doing and saying similar when they just don't know. Like I said it's lazy, untrue and clichéd.

Just so you know:

Motherwell knocked out a Norwegian club before losing to Odense from Denmark who finished 2nd in their league. A higher placed club than Motherwell.

And you're right Hutton is 26.

:smile: No worries anyway. It's only a forum and not important. UTO.

I can understand your reservations after the players we signed in our Prem days (they were crap), but to say what you did whilst having little knowledge on the game up here is a bit off. I watch both regulaly (I'm a season ticket holder at Hillsborough) and I'm just sick of people doing and saying similar when they just don't know. Like I said it's lazy, untrue and clichéd.

Just so you know:

Motherwell knocked out a Norwegian club before losing to Odense from Denmark who finished 2nd in their league. A higher placed club than Motherwell.

And you're right Hutton is 26.

:smile: No worries anyway. It's only a forum and not important. UTO.

ok, but final point because i cant agree anything i said is "lazy, untrue and clichéd"

this is a thread about a player we have just signed from Scotland and my original post was comparing him to other Scottish players that have played in England, i don't have to watch Scottish football every week to know how a player does in england do i??

and yea Odense is who i was thinking of!!

but denmark is still one of the countries i mentioned so point stands!

imo they all have teams better than those in Scotland (rosenborg,hadjuk split,brondby) and have done generally better in europe than scottish teams

ok, but final point because i cant agree anything i said is "lazy, untrue and clichéd"

this is a thread about a player we have just signed from Scotland and my original post was comparing him to other Scottish players that have played in England, i don't have to watch Scottish football every week to know how a player does in england do i??

and yea Odense is who i was thinking of!!

but denmark is still one of the countries i mentioned so point stands!

imo they all have teams better than those in Scotland (rosenborg,hadjuk split,brondby) and have done generally better in europe than scottish teams

True, you don't need to watch Scottish football to form an opinion on players playing in England, but you should know watching English football how many players there are that are performing at a good level that have come from Scottish clubs.

"how many times have bigged up scottish players moved to england and turned out to be crap? the list is endless. its such a poor standard up there"

That however is lazy, untrue and clichéd. You admitted that you don't watch Scottish football. So how would you know?

Odense have finished 2nd the last two seasons in a row in Denmark. Motherwell haven't done that in years in Scotland, it's not a fair comparison. Do you think Odense would struggle against the Old Firm clubs? I do.

Rangers and Celtic have both reached the final of a European Competition in recent years. When was the last time Hajduk, Brondby, Rosenborg, or any team from those countries did that?

Dundee United are ranked above Hajduk in co-efficients and Hajduk have won three titles in the last decade and finished runners up last season.

I think we should agree to disagree.

Edited by edinburghowl

I'm pretty underwhelmed by this signing because to be honest, if he was that great, he wouldn't be coming to a League One club would he? Not that there is much difference. Scottish football is a shocking standard. Conference / League two at best.

:biggrin: **** off Brown.

BTW are you going to the match this weekend? I might be going as I should be able to wrangle travel and accommodation. I know it's in your neck of the woods!

:biggrin: **** off Brown.

BTW are you going to the match this weekend? I might be going as I should be able to wrangle travel and accommodation. I know it's in your neck of the woods!

:laugh:

Not this one mate, have a famous cup game to play in! Shame really as yeah, not that far away... I may go if my game gets called off though? I'd like to see Scottish pub league boy Reynolds get ripped apart :wink:

:laugh:

Not this one mate, have a famous cup game to play in! Shame really as yeah, not that far away... I may go if my game gets called off though? I'd like to see Scottish pub league boy Reynolds get ripped apart :wink:

Let me know what happens. If not I'm going to be staying close by to you anyway mate so maybe meet for a pint at some point? I'll call you later.

:wink: You know you want to see him in action anyway.

True, you don't need to watch Scottish football to form an opinion on players playing in England, but you should know watching English football how many players there are that are performing at a good level that have come from Scottish clubs.

"how many times have bigged up scottish players moved to england and turned out to be crap? the list is endless. its such a poor standard up there"

That however is lazy, untrue and clichéd. You admitted that you don't watch Scottish football. So how would you know?

Odense have finished 2nd the last two seasons in a row in Denmark. Motherwell haven't done that in years in Scotland, it's not a fair comparison. Do you think Odense would struggle against the Old Firm clubs? I do.

Rangers and Celtic have both reached the final of a European Competition in recent years. When was the last time Hajduk, Brondby, Rosenborg, or any team from those countries did that?

Dundee United are ranked above Hajduk in co-efficients and Hajduk have won three titles in the last decade and finished runners up last season.

I think we should agree to disagree.

thats fair enough, as to the standard of Scottish football, like I said i was merely basing my opinions on results in Europe against similiar populated countries, Odense was the one that sprang to mind as it was this season (and i had a bet on it lol )

The original comparison (the one you quoted) was to SPL and England (hence the "such a poor standard"), which is another argument altogether

In hindsight my wording was a little disrespectful, didnt mean to offend!

i didnt realise there were so many sweaty socks* on here!!

*only banter pal :)