Marky Reynolds

Guest owlsthatthen

FFS there is no way we can play Coke and Miller in the middle, we will get battered through the middle. You can already drive a bus through the gap between our midfield and defence so playing both Coke and Miller in the middle will make it worse.

I disagree entirely.

The only reason you can drive a bus through the centre of our midfield is because O'Connor has normally just run 60 yards out of position and been knocked on his arse leaving whoever his midfield partner is on his own covering the entire width of central midfield.

I don't think our central midfield can get much worse. We might as well give our two best central midfielders (i think anyway) a go together. They might work, or they might not, but at least we'll know- there is no point playing Potter/O'Connor every week and then wondering why our central midfield gets battered senseless.

FFS there is no way we can play Coke and Miller in the middle, we will get battered through the middle. You can already drive a bus through the gap between our midfield and defence so playing both Coke and Miller in the middle will make it worse.

Best combination I've seen for Wednesday for a long, long time. Also, the best CM's at the club. Given Coke has the engine to get back and do his defensive duties, I see no problem in going to attack teams. JJ, Coke and Jones offer fantastic pace both going forward to to get back and do some defensive duties.

You sound like Irvine - worrying about the dross in League One rather than focusing on playing our best players/team.

The one nagging thing for me is the lack of experience in the back four suggested in this thread, by all means remove purse but we will need to replace that experience.

A team of 21-23 yr olds will be very inconsistent, a back four of 21-23 yr olds will be a massive massive gamble!

The one nagging thing for me is the lack of experience in the back four suggested in this thread, by all means remove purse but we will need to replace that experience.

A team of 21-23 yr olds will be very inconsistent, a back four of 21-23 yr olds will be a massive massive gamble!

It won't be a gamble.

Morrison, Reynolds and Buxton have plenty of experince behind them in terms if games played.

Danny Jones as played a fair few amount of games.

THE RADIATOR is the only one who's 'lacking' game experince in this country. But who cares when the he's got the raw ability he's got?

Plenty of games between the five of them though.

Thought I'd add to the glowing references from Motherwell fans re 'Marky' Reynolds. This is from a 'Well supporting workmate who watches them regularly...

"£150k for Mark Reynolds! Thats a steal, we knocked back £1million from Rangers for him a couple of years ago.

He's definitely got what it takes for league 1, Im very surprised he's not off to the championship.

Reynolds will play left back no problem, but he's essentially played the majority of his games for us at centre half. Would expect however with his pace, he could be a real asset at left back.

He's not a big no nonsense lump of a defender that takes the ball and man etc like John Terry, instead he's actually a football player. Very fast, reads the game well and is left footed. Never gets injured or booked either, not many 23 year olds who have 200+ first team appearances. Remember he's played at Ibrox and Celtic park countless times and has been an ever present in our Uefa games the last three seasons, so thats probably 12 european matches.

Great deal for 150k. I hope theres a sell on clause."

I just hope the bit about not getting injured isn't tempting fate!!

Thought I'd add to the glowing references from Motherwell fans re 'Marky' Reynolds. This is from a 'Well supporting workmate who watches them regularly...

"£150k for Mark Reynolds! Thats a steal, we knocked back £1million from Rangers for him a couple of years ago.

He's definitely got what it takes for league 1, Im very surprised he's not off to the championship.

Reynolds will play left back no problem, but he's essentially played the majority of his games for us at centre half. Would expect however with his pace, he could be a real asset at left back.

He's not a big no nonsense lump of a defender that takes the ball and man etc like John Terry, instead he's actually a football player. Very fast, reads the game well and is left footed. Never gets injured or booked either, not many 23 year olds who have 200+ first team appearances. Remember he's played at Ibrox and Celtic park countless times and has been an ever present in our Uefa games the last three seasons, so thats probably 12 european matches.

Great deal for 150k. I hope theres a sell on clause."

I just hope the bit about not getting injured isn't tempting fate!!

What a great endorsement...lets hope that is the last jigsaw piece which will see the end of the defence that got us relegated...I'm quite happy for Purse, Spurr et al to be back ups

What a great endorsement...lets hope that is the last jigsaw piece which will see the end of the defence that got us relegated...I'm quite happy for Purse, Spurr et al to be back ups

Indeed. I first thought that he'd fit in as left back with a first choice back four of Buxton - Morrison - Johnson - Reynolds but if he is better as a CB perhaps not.

The best thing about these signings is that, unless we're really really unlucky, at least one or two of them will only increase in value over the next year or two.

ill reserve judgement,

how many times have bigged up scottish players moved to england and turned out to be crap? the list is endless

its such a poor standard up there

not writing him off. just not gonna get carried away just yet

I know he's not Scottish but Giles Coke came from the same Motherwell team and hasn't found the gulf in class too much too handle!

And clichéd nonsense post of the year goes to...

ill reserve judgement,

how many times have bigged up scottish players moved to england and turned out to be crap? the list is endless

its such a poor standard up there

not writing him off. just not gonna get carried away just yet

There isn't a country in the world with a similar population that has a standard of football as high as it is in Scotland. Name me one country with 5 million people or less that has as many football teams that play at the standard Scottish football does. I bet you can't...

Fair enough it is poor at the top compared to the top of the top leagues in Europe, but the best teams and the best players in the SPL are easily better than the standard we are at. League 1 is awful.

There are a number of players who weren't playing in starting XI's in the SPL that have become stars in the CCC. From my team Lee Johnson and Jamie McAllister who were benchwarmers at best are now regular first teamers at Bristol City. Roman Bednar couldn't get a game regularly at Hearts and he was one of the players of the season for WBA in the CCC recently. Charlie Adam couldn't get a game at Rangers and now he is one of the hottest properties in the EPL. It works both ways.

If you are worried about where Reynolds has come from there are numerous players that are stars and play week in week out that have come from small clubs in the "poor standard" of Scottish football.

Cardiff - McNaughton.

Norwich - Hoolahan.

Leeds - Snodgrass, Collins.

WBA - Dorrans.

Watford - Cowie, McGinn.

Coventry - McPake.

Palace - Speroni.

Ipswich - Scotland.

That's just a few off the top of my head.

I've said it a number of times but believe me Reynolds is and will be a top signing. It really is a huge coup for the club. Getting Reynolds to drop down to this level of football after attracting the likes of Rangers and PSV is a real credit to Alan Irvine.

I know he's not Scottish but Giles Coke came from the same Motherwell team and hasn't found the gulf in class too much too handle!

:laugh: Gulf in class?

You do know we're in the 3rd Division right?