Marky Reynolds

Guest owlsthatthen

This isn't too big a problem.

Morrison at right back and Jones at left back could work well, particularly with no left footed winger.

I'll line the team up like so to illustrate what I mean

----------Mellor--Morrison-------

Teale-----Coke----Miller-----JJ

Jones-Reynolds-Johnson-Morrison

Forgive me, as it is hard illustrate positionally what I am envisioning with owlstalk formatting...

Having Teale on the left, being a right footer will encourage him to cut inside. This will give Jones plenty of space to over lap into. JJ on the right plays very high up the pitch. This means that The right back does not need to over lap as much; rather, they will need to hang back and provide a relief ball if needed.

With jones pushing on when in attack Morrison will come inside to form a 3 man defense effectively:

----------Mellor-Morrison--------

----------------Teale--------------jj

Jones----Miller----Coke-----

--------Reyolds-Johnson-Morrison

Edit: in reality, tela would never be that central but that is just to illustrate.

This is a tactic Barca use in order to provide Dani Alves with plenty of attacking freedom, albeit on the other wing.

Pedro cuts in from the right and Alves joins the midfield.

Not that I have any ambition that Irvine will try to approach tactics in the same way as Barcelona - but have Jones and Morrison as fullbacks can work perfectly well.

Loving this.

I bet you have coaching badges.

Guest BarmyBetto

Morrison at right back and Jones at left back could work well, particularly with no left footed winger.

Forgive me, as it is hard illustrate positionally what I am envisioning with owlstalk formatting...

Having Teale on the left, being a right footer will encourage him to cut inside. This will give Jones plenty of space to over lap into. JJ on the right plays very high up the pitch. This means that The right back does not need to over lap as much; rather, they will need to hang back and provide a relief ball if needed.

With jones pushing on when in attack Morrison will come inside to form a 3 man defense effectively:

Edit: in reality, tela would never be that central but that is just to illustrate.

This is a tactic Barca use in order to provide Dani Alves with plenty of attacking freedom, albeit on the other wing.

Not that I have any ambition that Irvine will try to approach tactics in the same way as Barcelona - but have Jones and Morrison as fullbacks can work perfectly well.

The thing is though, irvine wont drop purse!

Sorry but i dont understand all this talk about Spurr & Beevers leaving, both have had rocky patches of late playing in a poor defense that due mainly to injuries has been chopped and changed a lot

. It has been the general concensus that our squad is short in numbers,both these lads are home grown so wont be on massive contracts so i think they should stay and fight for a shirt

IMHO Buxton/Semi Morrison/Beevers Johnson/Spurr Reynolds/Jones

would give us a sound defensive option with flexible cover

All the above, along with Coke,Palmer & Nadine are young and trying to make a name in the game.

Add in a couple more new signings of the same ilk in midfield and out wide and for the first time in years the future looks full of optimism

For our part as fans we need to cut our team some slack, stop all the moans and groans at the least mistake and get behind each and every one 100%

Guest owlsthatthen

Mark Reynolds is confident he has made the right decision to join Sheffield Wednesday after attracting interest from other clubs.

The defender finalised a move to Hillsborough from Motherwell on Saturday and he has signed a three-and-a-half year deal with the League One club.

He watched Saturday's 2-2 draw with the Owls' promotion rivals Charlton Athletic and is looking forward to making an impact in English football.

"There were other clubs in for me but taking everything into account, I think this is the best move," the 23-year-old told the Daily Record.

Massive club

"Wednesday are a massive club, they've just been bought over and they don't deserve to be in League One.

"They're fighting for promotion to the Championship and it's a huge challenge for me to try to help them get there. I have the impression they won't be happy with that, though.

"If we can get up, the club want to push on again and try to reach the Premiership.

"It's a great opportunity for me to play for a massive club on a big stage. I need to kick on now in my career and progress through the leagues in England with Wednesday.

"Their set-up is just unbelievable. I took in the game and signed that night. It was a whirlwind 24 hours for me but a great day and I'm delighted to get it done.

"They have their own training ground so it's a bit different to what I'm used to at Motherwell."

But do you have the coaching badges?!

Seriously though, what your saying is spot on.

Now I know the difference in quality is huge but compare thes two back fours and you'll see a similarity...

Brown/O'Shea - Ferdinand - Vidic - Evra

Morrison/Buxton - Johnson - Reynolds - Jones

Defensive full back - defender who can play a bit - the old school defender - atttacking full back

This is the point.

The best attacking teams in the world don't use 2 attacking fullbacks. Irvine has only just started playing 2 wingers, never mind 2 attacking fullbacks.

Reynolds potentially being able to play defensive midfield is interesting though, here is another idea in the Barca vein.

---------------Clinton--------

---Teale--------------------------JJ

---------Miller--------Coke----

--------------Reynolds-----

Jones--Réda--Morrison--Semi

I chose Semi as he is our most attacking rightback, I'm not sure that this tactic would work aswell with Buxton as he is less pacey.

In this tactic Coke is our iniesta, joining attacks but still coming back as attacking as much as a midfielder can without being called an attacking midfielder, still working back but normally ahead of the ball.

Miller is our Xavi - rarely in front of the ball, normally parallel to it, offering a sideways option. One of those players that people call lazy because they don't spend the entire game bursting into the box, instead they are working finding space constantly in case the forward option is not on.

Reynolds is our Busquets - he has the most interesting role. When defending he is a defensive midfielder, giving the extra man in midfield, when attacking, however he drops back to centre back allowing the full backs to push on whilst still offering the backwards pass option if required.

So in attack we would be lining up

----------------Clinton-----------

--------JJ-------------------Teale

Jones-----Miller-----Coke-----Semi

----Réda-Reynolds-Morrison

(Although it isn't necessary, or look this way in the diagram above, I'd want JJ pushing up to a 2nd striker and teal coming in a bit deeper)

Barca used this to counter the 4-4-2 of Atletico earlier this season.

The advantage this brings is that when defending you have an extra man in midfield to help win the ball back and prevent the opposition time and space to pass.

When attacking you keep this advantage and have the spare man at the back to stop the quick counter but also allows the fullbacks to push on to provide the attascking width, this inturn allows the winger to play mor narrowly which in turns narrows the space to give the fullbacks more time and space. This, again gives a defensive advantage as it mean the wingers end up so deep that they become less effective as an attacking threat.

Again though - Irvine would never consider this. Also I'd want a better attacking right back if we were to use this system. (unless Semi gets fit and plays better)

Nice article in the Daily Record. Apologies if previously posted.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2011/01/17/former-motherwell-star-mark-reynolds-signing-for-sheffield-wednesday-was-easy-when-20-000-fans-turned-up-for-league-one-game-86908-22855344/

MARK REYNOLDS turned up at Hillsborough on Saturday and wondered if Sheffield Wednesday were as big a club as he'd anticipated.

When 20,000 fans came through the turnstiles for the League One clash against Charlton the former Motherwell defender knew he'd made the right decision to sign for Alan Irvine's side.

Reynolds put pen to paper on a three-and-a-half year deal with the Owls after the 2-2 draw and ended his 13-year association with Fir Park.

The defender is adamant he's signed for one of English football's sleeping giants. Now Reynolds is desperate to be part of their re-awakening.

He not only believes Wednesday can win promotion to the Championship this term but will also climb back to where they belong among the Premiership's elite.

Speaking exclusively to Record Sport after sealing his £150,000 move, Reynolds said: "When I arrived at Hillsborough someone said they weren't expecting a big crowd because it wasn't long after Christmas and New Year.

"But I couldn't believe it when 20,000 fans turned up, it was incredible. That showed me right away just how big a club they are.

"There were other clubs in for me but taking everything into account, I think this is the best move. Wednesday are a massive club, they've just been bought over and they don't deserve to be in League One.

"They're fighting for promotion to the Championship and it's a huge challenge for me to try to help them get there. I have the impression they won't be happy with that, though.

"If we can get up, the club want to push on again and try to reach the Premiership.

"It's a great opportunity for me to play for a massive club on a big stage. I need to kick on now in my career and progress through the leagues in England with Wednesday.

"Their set-up is just unbelievable. I took in the game and signed that night. It was a whirlwind 24 hours for me but a great day and I'm delighted to get it done.

"They have their own training ground so it's a bit different to what I'm used to at Motherwell.

"And Hillsborough is just massive. It's an older ground which has real character - it's imposing and I can't wait to see it full to capacity. Against Charlton we went two down early and got back to 2-2.

"Late on we were pushing for a winner and you could feel the noise and the atmosphere building. It just feels like a brilliant place to play."

Reynolds' memories of watching Wednesday as a kid included games against Manchester United, Liverpool or derbies against Sheffield United.

At that time, they boasted talent such as ex-Celtic winger Paolo di Canio and fellow Italian star Benito Carbone.

After falling on hard times, Serbian tycoon Milan Mandaric has taken over and vowed to bring the good old days back to Hillsborough.

Reynolds is excited at the prospect of playing his part in their revival and says only a move to either of the Old Firm could match what Wednesday has to offer.

He said: "When I think of Wednesday, I think of a huge club who should be in the Premier League competing with the top sides.

"That's everyone's image of them. They have the infrastructure and money behind them now to take the club back to where it belongs.

"It would be great to be part of that.

"You don't realise the size of the club until you actually go to the city. There is real expectation put on the players to do well and that's the kind of pressure I want. They are a club who are expected to win and get promoted this season. It's great for a player to be involved in something like that.

"It's a proper, working-class football city with two big clubs in Wednesday and Sheffield United. It's really exciting to think that's what I'm going into.

"The place was mobbed on Saturday. In Scotland the only thing close to what I'll experience at Wednesday is Rangers and Celtic.

"Hopefully the club's worst days are behind them, with Mandaric now at the helm. It's a club that's going places.

"From what I've seen, the club has what it takes to get back to the Premiership.

"Everything you do in football is a gamble but I'm joining a massive club and Alan Irvine wants to drive the club forward.

"Their ambitions match my own and that was the attraction. Sometimes you can go to a club in England and use it as a springboard to go elsewhere.

"But I can go to Wednesday knowing we want to end up in the same place and that's the top flight.

"Everyone accepts they are one of England's big clubs when it comes to fanbase and the potential is massive.

"Sometimes when a manager pitches something to you it can seem far-fetched.

"But when Alan spoke to me was believable and I can see it - hopefully it's sooner rather than later."

Reynolds admits it won't be easy leaving Motherwell - the club he's played for since he was at primary school.

But he also knows he had to leave Lanarkshire to continue his football education elsewhere.

He said: "I feel this is the right time for me to move on. I had a great time at Motherwell, I've been there since I was 10 and it's hard to leave them behind.

"But everyone at Fir Park understood I needed a new challenge in my career.

"It's strange because in one way it was an easy decision for me to go to Wednesday - but in another way it's been the hardest one I've ever had to make.

"It's a wrench to leave. Motherwell have been my life - but this is a fresh start, it's a new chapter in my career.

"Hopefully I can make the same kind of impact at Wednesday as I did when I broke into the Motherwell team."

-----------------------------WEAVER ©-----------------------

BUXTON---RADIATOR---MORRISON---REYNOLDS

JOHNSON---------MILLER-------COKE---------JONES

------------------MELLOR-------MORRISON---------------

Think MADINE is a development player.

Be interesting to see who the other two signings are that we are looking to bring in.

I'd move on all those who's contracts run out in the summer - except WEAVER, JJ and BUXTON.

Guest Stereophonics

FFS there is no way we can play Coke and Miller in the middle, we will get battered through the middle. You can already drive a bus through the gap between our midfield and defence so playing both Coke and Miller in the middle will make it worse.

FFS there is no way we can play Coke and Miller in the middle, we will get battered through the middle. You can already drive a bus through the gap between our midfield and defence so playing both Coke and Miller in the middle will make it worse.

I disagree. Coke is just as energetic as O'Connor, in fact, he looks as good a ball winner as O'Connor does. He has the advantage of being able to control a ball and pass too.

Regardless, the new team I want to see is 4-5-1 with Reynolds as an anchor.

word to the wise.... thinking about how WE play is not allowed,use your time more wisely and think only about how the OPPOSITION set up to play !!!! then and only then will you gain your coaching badges :blush::biggrin:

Johnson to cripple the opposition (like yesterday, how mint was it when he took their player out without giving a foul away, no prisoners...awesome)

...well you say that...

Edited by goh