interesting question

Apologies for the multiple Irvine out threads, and this is another.

But.

Have you ever known in your footballing life, so much hatred and apathy for a manager whilst your club is second in the league?

Doesn't that speak volumes?

Success and expectations are relative though.

Also, we are in a false position to a degree by virtue of having played more games than the teams around us.

After all the BS we heard about who Brian Laws' successor was gonna be - modern manager embracing modern techniques and methods yadda yadda - it was amazingly disappointed to get lumbered with him - a Wilko disciple from the past - never impressed with him at Preston tbh

The insipid and disgusting capitulation last season even though being in a very retrievable position sealed it for me when we didn't even keep pace with those around us and were only temporarily reprieved cos of pacae and their points deduction- never wanted him and he confirmed those fears - this season is just a wee wee take

He can't go soon enough

Edited by scram

After all the BS we heard about who Brian Laws' successor was gonna be - modern manager embracing modern techniques and methods yadda yadda - it was amazingly disappointed to get lumbered with him - a Wilko disciple from the past - never impressed with him at Preston tbh

The insipid and disgusting capitulation last season even though being in a very retrievable position sealed it for me when we didn't even keep pace with those around us and were only temporarily reprieved cos of pacae and their points deduction- never wanted him and he confirmed those fears - this season is just a wee wee take

He can't go soon enough

Bout sums it up.

Basically. . .we panicked. . .and appointed the first out of work manager that we could find.

Spot on as usual scram. His appointment was a disgrace. Could have cried when I saw it announced. Appointing a man sacked by a team a few places above us, genius. We badly need someone to lift this club and give us a fighting chance of promotion because under irvine we are once again slow walking into failure.

Act now Mr Mandaric.

3.5 years argh!!!!!!

What the hell were we thinking?

We're not still thinking we're going to have to pay up 2.5 years of salary if we sack him, are we?

Anyway, in answer to the OP: No, and yes.

The thing is though, I can't imagine for one minute any chairman sacking his manager when he lies second in the league, games in hand or not.

He's clearly going to be here into January - probably winning a couple along the way possibly keeping us in second - so I can't see us getting our wish of a better manager anytime soon.

Apologies for the multiple Irvine out threads, and this is another.

But.

Have you ever known in your footballing life, so much hatred and apathy for a manager whilst your club is second in the league?

Doesn't that speak volumes?

As I've said before, it's all about context and persepctive. Laws and Sturrock had us in numerous relegation battles between them, but until the last few weeks of Laws' time here neither faced a clamour for them to be removed. In fact, Sturrock's dismissal was met with a great deal of criticism. So the idea that we are impatient or fickle is demonstrably false. The difference is that in our perception those two got results consistent with, or perhaps even better than, the circumstances would logically allow. Equally, we have determined that Irvine is significantly underachieving given what he has to work with.