Worst away day experience

Guest dingdong

That was 1992/3 when we finished third in the top flight (amazing to think we achieved that now).

I went to that game too - a thoroughly unique experience. 70 minutes of boredom with the Arsenal crowd as lacking in passion and volume as usual followed by perhaps the most surreal period of football I've ever witnessed. And even then each goal was met with little more than a ripple of polite applause more befitting a school pantomime.

To be fair to our lot though, we did play with ten men thanks to David Johnson making one of his few appearances. Bloody carthorse.

Agreed.

I seem to remember them scoring 2 or 3 goals in the time it took us to work our way from the back of the away end to the front.

And the Arsenal fans didn't seem to care what was happening.

Bizarre.

Portsmouth many many years ago (got to be late seventies) with the conisborough & mexboro owls, (Hammy & Stovin) can't remember the rest.

Stayed overnight in a hotel, got battered

Pub near ground before game, got run off twice and battered, met a Portsmouth lad with an owls tat on one forearm and a pompey one on'tother, he said don't drink here lads. Now he feckin tells me.

Pompey fans had two pitch invasions before the game and run us out of the ground, third time I paid to go in the stands with the old men, took badges off my mates denim jacket first.

The big lads consiboro owls were being dragged out of their end thru the first half with blood and snot everywhere, proud as punch I was from the stand.

Coach smashed to bits after the match and poo poo me sen.

I still suffer nightmares at the mere mention of Peeeeortsmuff.

Edited by pARIS oWL

Guest bigpaul706

What has been your worst away day experience?

Mine was 2001/02 season away to Crystal Palace we lost 4-1, got absolutely soaked nightmare getting there and back all round bad day that sticks in my mind.

Last night was a good result, but what a dump!

think that may be the same match I went to?

Went on the coach, didn't get there till 4pm, and was 3-0 down at half time??

that's my worst!

Thieverpool away '84-'85, witnessing thier 'Stanley knife' period inside the ground when one of ours got 60 stitches in his back. The feckin Thieverpool filth then arrested him and threatened us if we didnt shut up and 'Calm down'! We won 0-2 but those jolly, wittiest fans in England certainly know how to put a dampener on things.

Cvnts

I was there, cannot stand Liverpool FC and will never tire of seeing them get beat, I'm loving this spell they are going through at the moment and long may it continue.

I cannot believe the reputation they have managed to propogate as a bunch of happy go lucky Cilla Blacks - I flipping hate Liverpool FC!!

the Man U semi brings back memories for me also.

i just left the ground and the next thing i remember was my mate picking me off of the floor. some manure scum had twa**ed me sqaure on the jaw and then ran off. it certainly made me take my shirt off in a hurry :laugh: I seem to remember we played them in the league at their place a few weeks later. We were handed a letter from Martin Edwards apologising for the behaviour of their fans that afternoon. i think we got stuffed 5-0 that night as well :biggrin:

newcastle away when Cole got a hat-trick and we lost 4-2. stood in the corner of the gallowgate and it absolotely p133ed it down all game. driving down the A1 in my old fiesta 950 with the lads all asleep and all of us soaking wet.

someone mentioned the Chelsea game in the 80's when we got stuffed 4-0 and again it p133ed it down. we got out of the ground we were chased all the way back to the coaches only to find some of the windows had been put through on the coach. bit of a breezy trip back to sheffield!!!!

one that always annoys me though was a trip to Bournemouth a couple of years ago. it was a tuesday night and i'd taken two days off work and we were really crap and managed to loose in injury time. i must have seen red at that point as when the players came over for a half hearted clap of the fans i lost the plot and had to be restrained from getting on the pitch by my mates and stewards.

Reading last year was dreadful as well

i remember getting hammered 5-1 at walsall in the late 1970s.

wednesday scored early on through roger wylde then he managed to hit the bar from 2 yards a few minutes later, walsall ran straight down the other end and scored. the second half was like the alamo wednesday hardly got out of their own half, the defending was awful.

the only other game i remember like that was the 6-1 defeat at leicester at filbert street in the 1980s

Losing 3-0 at Port Vale is easily my worst experience

Got chucked out of the stadium for constant foul language at the Wednesday players.

Took forever to get a taxi back from Burslem to Stoke station. Only when the lads and I did get back into Stoke station, one decides to shout Wednesday. Not realising, Stokes troublesome lot stayed in Stoke instead of going down Millwall and I ended up getting a royal beating from some of Stoke Citys firm. The idiot that shouted Wednesday avoided any punches I think, can't remember.

Wasn't nice going in to the office on Monday morning covered in cuts and bruises. Refuse to go to Port Vale or Stoke City ever again after that.

Guest triple j

Losing 3-0 at Port Vale is easily my worst experience

Got chucked out of the stadium for constant foul language at the Wednesday players.

Took forever to get a taxi back from Burslem to Stoke station. Only when the lads and I did get back into Stoke station, one decides to shout Wednesday. Not realising, Stokes troublesome lot stayed in Stoke instead of going down Millwall and I ended up getting a royal beating from some of Stoke Citys firm. The idiot that shouted Wednesday avoided any punches I think, can't remember.

Wasn't nice going in to the office on Monday morning covered in cuts and bruises. Refuse to go to Port Vale or Stoke City ever again after that.

You stick to singing bland easy listening music with terrible lyrics my love :biggrin:

Memory a wee bit foggy due to the injuries i sustained. :biggrin:

Man City away late 70,s or early 80,s in i think league cup.

Got beat up quite badly on way from ground to coach.Broken nose and rib.it was a night match and spent most of night after getting home in hallamshire hospital.

Remember getting ambushed by their crew on every street corner.

We got our own back the next time they visited hillsborough though. :biggrin:

Guest T C's Tash

What has been your worst away day experience?

Mine was 2001/02 season away to Crystal Palace we lost 4-1, got absolutely soaked nightmare getting there and back all round bad day that sticks in my mind.

Last night was a good result, but what a dump!

mine was at Blackpool under Chris Tyrner we lost 4-1 was half cut before and the sun was out then it peed down after half time

we were useless the weekend was a wash out and worst of all i didn't pull a slappers either

Getting stabbed at Main Road when we were still in the old third division (if my memory serves me right) and played them in the league cup was'nt really my best experience :wacko:

I bet that was the same match as i ve mentioned above where i got done.

You stick to singing bland easy listening music with terrible lyrics my love :biggrin:

millwall away in the 70s got back to the coach flipping sycos were sat hiding on the back seat they got on through the emergency exit the driver was off the bus having a *** lost two teeth.

Not the worse but most depressing was the Wimbledon 1-1 draw with at the time the lowest prem crowd. We got there 15 mintues late as well.

Arsenal 7-1, my mate even lost his car keys in the ground, we finally got them back around 6.30. (Aresnal were really helpful so makes the memories alittle better)

Worse for me was Chelsea around 88. Got train from Donny to Sheff to catch the ICO for one of my first away matches. Bloody thing broke down towards the bottom of the M1 and we missed the match. Never went on a ICO again. Think we lost 4-0 so not all bad.

I still have surreal nightmare's today about not getting to matches on time!

I bet that was the same match as i ve mentioned above where i got done.

Yeah it would have been.....went on football special train to piccadilly and they had laid busses on for us, but there wer'nt enough busses for the journey back, so there we were all 3 of us walking through moss side when someone asked my mate the time and 'whack' down my mate went lol...we tried to fight back but there was about 30 of them....27 ok but not 30 lol....anyway I remember getting booted at the back of my knees which took me down....curling up in a ball and getting some timpson into parts I did'nt know I had. What I do remember was this half caste kid with blue dungerees and red kikkers on (very Dexys Midnight Runners)....When it was over, which seemed about half an hour but was probably closer to half a minute, I helped my mates up and we set off to find a copper......I remember a city fan trying to hit one of my mates when we were running back and my mate caught him a beauty putting hom straight over a garden wall....When we finally found the plod I could feel what i thought was sweat running down my back, but it was in fact blood from a stab wound I did'nt know I had....I swore to the copper who politely told me that if I swore again, he would bang me up.....Anyway a city fan offered to take us back to his parents house and clean us up and get us a taxi back to the station...obviously we were apprehensive but hey, what the hell...in for a penny in for a pound eh! But God bless him, he took us home, gave me a clean shirt to wear and paid for a taxi for us...So off we went back to the station when who did we see on the way???????? yes you guessed it the Kevin Roland lookalike walking up the road with a smug look on his kite....aking the taxi driver to pull up we went to have a word with 'old Dexy' we thought about asking for his autograph but instead we gave him ours lol.............Ah the good old days lol

Edited by cain