Worst away day experience

Guest dingdong

Guest Woz1867

When we played Southampton at the Dell in the FA CUP in 2001. Not only did we loose 3-1 but i got my car towed away.

That ground is was one of the worst in England.

UTO!

Stockport away under Turner was grim.

I was behind the goal, no cover. Freezin cold, then it began halestoning, we played a 3-5-2 formation. We lost 1-0 to a Rickie Lambert thunderbolt!

We played abysmal, then turnip came on radio and blamed it on the weather.

The ground itself werent serving beer, toilets wouldnt flush, food was naf. Just altogether a very bad day. Then train home from sheff back to worksop got delayed by an hr and 45 mins.

Derby 2005/6 Last game of the season party atmosphere won 2 nil but surrounded by the most racist fans ive ever encountered .

Spent most of the first half listening to one of our "superb" away fans making ape noises calling the black Derby players all the worst racist names under the sun, all the while trying to distract the two youngsters i had with me until i snapped told 2 of them to shut the *** up and asked them what they would call Youann Folly if he scored to be given the reply " arrr but he plays for us so he's not a ni gger really" and being told i was spoiling their day out because i couldn't stand their racism. It would have been funny if it hadn't been so disgusting watching them celebrate Leon Bests goal and seeing no irony in it.

darlington away in an fa cup replay in the late 1970s

it was a freezing cold night with ice and snow everywhere, wednesday lost in injury time to a goal by ex wednesday player ferguson (cant remember his first name). there was fighting all over the ground and it carried on all the way throught he match.

we then broke down on the a1 coming home and eventually managed to get a lift back to sheffield in the early hours of the morning

Ronnie

Guest mansfield owl

Everton on a wednesday night,got there10 mins late,we were 2-0 down.we lost 4-0,all the others asleep on the way back me driveing

I got hit on the back with a brick at filbert street, and got showered in glass when train window got put through on way back from barnsley some years ago. We dont tend to have bad away days if we travel further afield cus we always make a weekend of it to go on the pi$$, if we win its a bonus.. :biggrin:

Derby away, drawing 3-3 after being 3-1 up. Still not sure the football club has ever recovered.

Losing 4-0 at Spurs, I think Linekar got 3. Convinced we never crossed the half way line.

Losing 3-2 at Oldham, in the promotion season.

Charlton Athletic

boiling hot 5 hour journey on an un air conditioned coach

2-0 up lost 3-2

... oh and was sat behind Fishcake all the way there and back :Dark Sad: still having therapy from that day.

Think someone mentioned Grimsby 2-0 too when Turner was in charge, by far the worst footballing display I've ever seen, Brian Barry Murphy was delighted when there player claimed what was the most blatent own goal ever, and Tony Crane... what a Cnut

Guest Romish Owl

The FA replay in 93 was the worst I've ever felt after a match, the bus on the way home was silent, other than that, in the 70's went to Middlesboro and we lost 8-0 and we were lucky to get nil

The FA replay in 93 was the worst I've ever felt after a match.

Totally agree - was surprised this wasn't mentioned sooner in the thread. Still can't believe Woods didn't save it or that Bright's header missed. :mellow:

In terms of experience it was an FA cup match at Gillingham in 1995 when a piece of their crumbling terracing was used as a missile (suspect by our own 'fans') and being 6' 5", my head was an easy target. Somehow didn't go down but felt queasy through game and left a nice red stain on their crappy concrete. Probably because of that experience I had it in my head we lost the game (I remember Pressie being red-carded) - however I just dug out this match report and I've now got that 'Owls victory' feeling all over again :biggrin:

Gillingham 1

Sheffield Wednesday 2

The FA Cup has a habit of throwing up heroes between the sticks in the third round. Dickie Guy is one who springs to mind from those far-off days when Wimbledon was the club everyone loved to love. But at a bursting Priestfield Stadium on Saturday it wasnot a case of finders keepers, losers weepers.

Rather it was the guardian of the winners' goal who may be shedding a tear before the next tie comes around. Lance Key has had to be patient in awaiting his chance with Wednesday, but when it came on Saturday, a couple of minutes before half-time when Kevin Pressman was sent off for hauling down Chris Pike, he came off the bench and took it with both hands. A safer pair of hands his manager, Trevor Francis, could not have wished for.

Pitched into a classic Cup encounter between Third Division strugglers and a Premiership side who have finally fulfilled their manager's season-long prediction by coming good, Key began by picking Pike's spot-kick out of the net.

From coasting towards the fourth round, Wednesday found themselves only 2-1 up and down to 10 men. It was the second transformation the game had undergone. Against a would-be David, the 90 minutes can seem like 90 days to a Goliath but 90 seconds passed in what must have seemed the twinkling of an eye as the giants imposed themselves with half an hour played.

Chris Waddle found space on the right to curl the ball in off the far post. Whether or not that was meant as a shot, it was definitely a cross he placed on Mark Bright's head for the second goal a minute and a half later. Suddenly Gillingham seemed to sense a giant-killing was beyond them, but then a Des Walker back-pass prompted Pressman's embarrassment.

The Kent side came out for the second half stoked up and Key became, literally, the key. He went low to stop Pike's drive and twice flung himself to keep out fierce attempts from Adrian Foster. Though they brought gasps of admiration and frustration fromthe crowd, Francis saw those lead-preserving saves as all in a half-day's work for the 26-year-old.

Then again, the manager could not afford to talk Key up too much. He was quickly relaying news that Chris Woods, sidelined this season with a foot injury, had come through his first game back in goal and had two more outings lined up.

It seems he could be ready to return in, say, a couple of weeks' time, when Pressman's suspension is due to start. And that could leave Key precisely where he came in on Saturday - as understudy.

Goals: Waddle (30) 1-0; Bright (32) 2-0; Pike pen (43) 2-1.

Gillingham (4-4-2): Banks; Arnott, Butler, Green, P Watson; Smith, Micklewhite, Carpenter, Reinelt; Pike, Foster. Substitutes not used: Palmer, Ramage, Barrett (gk).

Sheffield Wednesday (4-4-2): Pressman; Atherton, Pearce, Walker, Nolan; Waddle (Petrescu, 87), Sheridan, Hyde, Bart-Williams; Bright, Whittingham (Key, 43). Substitute not used: G Watson.

Referee: M Bodenham (Looe, Cornwall).