Worst away day experience

Guest dingdong

wrexham mid 70s,we were near the bottom of the 3rd division and lost 4-0 while the FA CUP semi was being played at hillsborough... the irony

Went to that , Billy Ashcroft scored two or three that day I think. Also remember picking a Wednesdayite up at the side of the road just outside Macclesfield. Apparently he had thrown an apple core down the coach he was on, and was subsequently kicked off it in the middle of nowhere.

He was later allowed back on when we met up with his coach at Congleton services.

I remember the Oldham riot, we had a right day out, went on their cop before the game started and fighting breaking out all over the place. Then the actually game started and we got marched round the ground to loud applause from the Wednesday hoards. Cant remember the exact sequence of events but my mate ended up getting nicked and was the on the front page of the Sun. We went to Blackpool after the game a coach load of us. In the pub we went in after a few drinks we had a minutes silence for HMS Sheffield the whole pub fell silent very moving really.

Were you drinking with Nostradamus? The Oldham riot was about 18 months before HMS Sheffield sank

Arsenal away when we lost 7 - 1. (Can't remember the year).

That was 1992/3 when we finished third in the top flight (amazing to think we achieved that now).

I went to that game too - a thoroughly unique experience. 70 minutes of boredom with the Arsenal crowd as lacking in passion and volume as usual followed by perhaps the most surreal period of football I've ever witnessed. And even then each goal was met with little more than a ripple of polite applause more befitting a school pantomime.

To be fair to our lot though, we did play with ten men thanks to David Johnson making one of his few appearances. Bloody carthorse.

That was 1992/3 when we finished third in the top flight (amazing to think we achieved that now).

I went to that game too - a thoroughly unique experience. 70 minutes of boredom with the Arsenal crowd as lacking in passion and volume as usual followed by perhaps the most surreal period of football I've ever witnessed. And even then each goal was met with little more than a ripple of polite applause more befitting a school pantomime.

To be fair to our lot though, we did play with ten men thanks to David Johnson making one of his few appearances. Bloody carthorse.

At 1-1 in that game i thought we looked more likely to pinch it than them.

Derby away a few years back when we got beat 1-0 in the last min (Jones Free kick if I remember right).

Left the ground with banging headache, half pissed, had new boots on that were slowly but surely rubbing the skin and flesh off my heels,the buckle had broke on my belt so I was having to hold them up. ( resulting in a comedy walk ).

When got back to the train station, some rumbleing wee wee tail of a "Wednesday fan" decide to make what can only be described as slightly messed up tongue gestures at my girlfriend, which resulted in both of us rolling about on the floor of the train.

Good times.

Johnson missed an absolute sitter (at 1-1), the ball bounced in front of him and he inexplicably kicked fresh air when it was easier to score.

As well as we did that season, we got some funny old results, particularly away from home, I saw us lose 3-0 at Boundary Park in an awful match.

*Cough*

91-92

*Cough*

I'm going to say Southampton away, we lost 4-0.

Can't remember the year, but the team included the likes of Adamson in the net, Peacock upfront solo, and about five players out to injury. 12 hour round trip on the ICO... also couldn't stand the way the lads behind the kiosk thought i was saying 'pie' when i was asking for a 'pint'. Quite different i think.

Never has a scoreline so flattered a team as that one. My memory isn't playing tricks is it - before they got their avalanche started the game was a non event?

For some reason my most abiding memories of the day were amazement at how one of the country's biggest venues managed to hide itself in amongst all those houses and how many bloody foreigners were there. I think I heard most of the languages on the planet before kick off.

My worst away days are:

Losing 1-4 at Coventry - it meant we were all but relegated. It kicked off a bit at the end and some fans were ripping up the seats and throwing them - one seat hit me in the head and I got concussion.

I also got punched in the head at Notts Forest the season we got hammered, by an angry Wednesday fan flapping about like a noob....was it 4-0? Can't remember much - concussion

Any match where I got concussion basically....

The Man Utd semi final brings back memories.

I was in the corner stand for the home game and for some reason I will never know it was a mixed stand that night. Given what happened after the first leg there were a lot of scores to be settled and for 90 minutes it was carnage in there - the stand was a third full by the end as so many were thrown out.

Another shocker for me was pompey away, I think it may have been 2000/2001. We lost 2-0 in the driving rain sitting in that open away end - I had driven there and got stuck in awful traffic, took me an age to get there. Got into the city at about 2.50 - saw a cab and just abandoned my car and jumped in the cab. After the game I had no idea where my car was, was on my own and it took me until 10.30pm to find it, by which point I resembled the swamp thing. To cap it all I then broke down so ended up staying in a B & B in Southampton.

That whole weekend cost me close to 750 quid.

Never has a scoreline so flattered a team as that one. My memory isn't playing tricks is it - before they got their avalanche started the game was a non event?

For some reason my most abiding memories of the day were amazement at how one of the country's biggest venues managed to hide itself in amongst all those houses and how many bloody foreigners were there. I think I heard most of the languages on the planet before kick off.

I loved Highbury - almost an optical illusion

It was like the charge of the light brigade that day.

Cambridge in the 4 - 0 fa cup was a bad un

Yes that game at Derby was an interesting experience, I was about 10 and I distinctly remember people throwing glass bottles at police on horses, with the glass shattering all over me. Then horses charging at anyone who happened to be in the way, all fun and games!!

Getting beaten 3-1 at home by the Pigs in 91-92 was pretty bad, Bobby Davidson scored twice for them with a deflected Phil King goal our only consolation. The 2-0 defeat at Bramall Lane wasn’t much better when Woods showed how much of a thrower he really was.

But the FA Cup final reply was the worst ever, such an empty feeling and silent ride home. I hope Chris Woods is ashamed of himself.

Taking my mum to Bramall Lane in the season that Alan Quinn scored the winner... and then her getting hit by a sharpened radiator bolt- not pretty.

The 8-0 against Newcastle- the first time i had ever felt embarassed by Wednesday (not the last though :biggrin: )

6-0 against Reading last year after a breakdown on the way there- the lasting image of that game is Tommy Spurr looking like he was about the cry, whilst Peter flipping Gilbert (iirc) was having a laugh and a joke with Shane Long not long after the 6th had gone in.

The 4-0 game at Colchester which cost Sturrock his job- we were truly terrible that night.

0-3 v Derby this season, last season was bad enough but to go and do it again? Complete embarrassment in front of some derby fan mates

Man utd away in the semi final 1st leg of the league cup in 94 we lost 1-0 and giggs scored it was also the week sir Matt busby died i think, and i recall the wednesday fans singing the dambuster tune and when we got outside after the match all hell broke losse man utd fans were hitting every wednesday fan the saw...

Being a wuss, I remember 'having' to run back up the steps into the stand after it all kicked off. :blush:

Was that the game where they let us all go to the back of the stand to find the gates shut and then the police sent the horses in to trample all over us!!

Not sure, but I do remember Dave Richards pleading with the police and stewards to allow us to move under an adjacent covered area so we could shelter from the rain.

That's probably about the only positive memory I have of him.

Hartlepool year we went up 0-3 pissed it down all way through and what a poo poo hole.

Hartlepool away.... night match.... in a monsoon.... adam boyd was like maradonna ......and i lost me shoe.

That's my worst.

I remember feeling really lucky when I got two tickets in the ballot for the Friday night game. I wished I'd never bothered when pi$$ wet through and 1-0 down after about 5 minutes. It just got worse after that. The drive home was shocking, aqua-planing down the A1.