Quality of pre-season opposition.

Got to say I'm a little worried by our preseason fixtures.

With all due respect to the team involved.. We're lining up:

Some non-league chumps.

2 teams who were playing English 4th tier last season.

A rubbish team from Scotland who just lost to a terrible side from Luxembourg over 2 legs.

A 3rd tier Portugese team.

A team just promoted from the Portugese 2nd tier who's best player by a distance in 36.

and a team from the lower end of the Portugese top tier.

You could argue that preseason is about fitness and working on patterns and tactics, but it's also about getting up to speed for the start of the league campaign. There's a massive gulf between all these teams and clubs in the Championship. This lot make the Blunts look good, so I'm genuinely worried that when we run out at Deepdale in 3 weeks we're going to be very much behind the curve, having had leisurely knockabouts for all our preseason matches.

4 minutes ago, ArmyBarmy said:

Nothing wrong with playing lower sides, they're bang up for it and give us a test. We're hardly gunna go out and play Barca, Arsenal, Chelsea etc 

Its near impossible to play these sides when they jet off to other side of planet playing in front of 80,000 earning millions for clubs.

1 minute ago, bradowl said:

Its near impossible to play these sides when they jet off to other side of planet playing in front of 80,000 earning millions for clubs.

That's my point. We ain't gunna get them. We need a side hungry and up for it to get out side match fit and you get that from he sides we've got lined up 

Pre season really means fuckall really it doesn't matter if it's alfretom or atletico Madrid it's just a run out for the players and most of them are only half hearted. 

They will all know the real deal starts at deepdale in a few weeks.

Alfreton seems to be a charity game and fair enough, something easy just to get the ball rolling.. But could we not then at least find some League One opponents, rather than League Two? If not one of the 2 teams that missed out on promotion, Bradford say.

Premier League would be nice, to test ourselves, and sure, we won't be playing Chelsea, but why not someone like Watford? We've got a bit of a relationship there is seems, and they've got a game against Villa, so were up for playing a Championship side. And for a tour, can't we do better than a club in Portugal's non-professional league?  Could we not go to France or Germany and get a lower end Bundesliga or Ligue 1 side?

I'm just worried that we're not testing ourselves at all. With, perhaps, Vitoria aside these should all be 'win at a canter' type games and we're not really going to be stretched or tested until Preston come at us.

For reference, Preston's 3 games before they play us are Newcastle, Burnley and Fleetwood (who make Leagoe One playoffs last year).

Preston will be well tested, we run the risk of still being on holiday and I'm worried we'll pay for it.

Pre season is about getting players match fit and injury free. So long as they're semi competitive matches I'm not too bothered about playing any big guns. Basically 18 teams in our league are the same as last season so nothing new there really.

Guest oz_owl
9 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Alfreton seems to be a charity game and fair enough, something easy just to get the ball rolling.. But could we not then at least find some League One opponents, rather than League Two? If not one of the 2 teams that missed out on promotion, Bradford say.

Premier League would be nice, to test ourselves, and sure, we won't be playing Chelsea, but why not someone like Watford? We've got a bit of a relationship there is seems, and they've got a game against Villa, so were up for playing a Championship side. And for a tour, can't we do better than a club in Portugal's non-professional league?  Could we not go to France or Germany and get a lower end Bundesliga or Ligue 1 side?

I'm just worried that we're not testing ourselves at all. With, perhaps, Vitoria aside these should all be 'win at a canter' type games and we're not really going to be stretched or tested until Preston come at us.

For reference, Preston's 3 games before they play us are Newcastle, Burnley and Fleetwood (who make Leagoe One playoffs last year).

Preston will be well tested, we run the risk of still being on holiday and I'm worried we'll pay for it.

You are worrying for literally no reason.  Relax my friend and you will enjoy the pre season much more.  :biggrin:

Premier League teams are usually at least a week behind Championship teams in terms of their conditioning work.  Even if they start a full strength side you will get a host of subs, and a team playing at much less than 100% intensity.  In terms of prestige it's nice for sure, but in terms of a test it's likely to be much less than a game against a local lower league team.

Either way pre-season is ALL about fitness and tactics.  The results mean very little.  As fans we read far too much into these games, because we want our team to win every game at least 4-0.  Trust that the coaches know what they're doing in terms of preparing the players the right way.  As has already been mentioned, it's not like we have a team of newcomers to the division who don't know what to expect.  The only thing you want is to get through this period with zero serious injuries.  Particularly to centre backs... :ph34r:

37 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Jesus Christ...

You really don't need to get this hysterical about who out oppo are in pre season.

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

I agree, playing a league one team would be better.

Ideally like league one Doncaster away keeping it local with a bit of an edge would have been spot on.

Never mind eh.

Getting thumped big time in a friendly against a top side isn't gonna fill the players with confidence. All about time to get fit and ease into games again after the summer break. The quality of the opposition doesn't matter as much as getting players match fit.