Is the premier league so bad?

For teams that are not in and around the top six? Just a question to ponder as I've seen and heard some interesting thoughts on this by other fans over the past few weeks. Watford fans are apparently bored with the premier league as they have so few chances in every game. Middlesbrough fans can't wait to come back down as the whole season has been a huge disappointment and they can't wait to compete again in the championship. Swansea fans don't seem to like it either. I've even seen Fulham fans that don't want to go up because they were bored with it the last time they were there.  Brighton fans are now worried that their best players are going to be picked off by the mid to top premier league teams.

My friend at work said that teams in the championship almost have to go up, come back down with parachute payments, rebuild stronger and go up again to be successful. This partly explains the yo-yoing of teams like Burnley. The blueprint for success in the premier league seems to be Bournemouth and Southampton - the latter of whom have a brilliant academy which they have relied strongly on when their best players have been taken from them. Also Leicester, although they have struggled a lot more this season.

Barry Bannan alluded to it in a recent interview on Sky when he said it was difficult to go from being really successful and winning most weeks to struggling to survive every week.

We are all desperate for Wednesday to have a shot at the premier league again. I just hope if and when we get there that it doesn't turn out to be a huge disappointment.

1 minute ago, Greengrass said:

Let's worry about it when it happens. From a personal point of view had a great time following Wednesday in the 90's. Be good for the young ones who stuck with us through the 2000-2010 period to experience the "big days out"

So did I. It was great to be a successful team in the top league when I could enjoy games without worrying about relegation or getting promoted and just enjoy the football. Not sure how much it's changed since then though. Money talks. Admit it would be great to have teams like Arsenal,  Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool back at Hillsborough on a regular basis though. 

I want to see the big clubs at Hillsborough, fed up of Bristol, Rotherham, Brentford with their journeymen players.

Like to see a higher standard and no reason why we compete Bournemouth, Crystal Palace and Watford have made a fist of it.  We have more potential than they have I would argue.

We need to start thinking big get out of the Sheffield mentality that we can't dream big dreams. 

2 minutes ago, Justbeanz said:

My main concern would be the lack of Saturday afternoon games. All tradition goes down the pan as TV takes control. 

how many times this and last season have we played at home on Saturday ? we seem to play every day of week these days a lot of it is cause of these stupid international weekends which wipes 4-5 Saturdays off .tv has already control in championship . its the tues night fixtures in winter which I hate which is totally down to having all these blank wkds  if we go up unless we are in Europe or team we due to play that Saturday where in Europe weds or thurs then most of games will be on Saturday ,don't think we would be on sky every 2 wks

Many clubs in the top flight are not staple premier league clubs.

Whats keeping them up is PL money and parachute payments whilst the likes of us, Leeds and Forest and even Derby at one point (a few years ago) had big debts when we all came down. 

Parachute payments did not exist in the year 2000 when we went down. 

Many clubs in the late 90s era and early 2000's suffered and did not recover. Its a lot easier to recover if you go down these days. 

Edited by iliveinthenow

I must admit I enjoy us being competitive again...however even looking back on this seasons ebbs and flows there were some fans slitting their wrists after every defeat, god help us in the Prem.

I want to mix it with the big boys, cause the occasional upset on match of the day, use a few seasons of outrageous amounts of TV money to future proof us with state of the art facilities, developed stadium, something we can all be proud of that in case we did slip back into the champ we are only ever competing at the top end of the table.

i'd snap your hand off for 5yrs of bottom half premier league football, I really would.  

4 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

how many times this and last season have we played at home on Saturday ? we seem to play every day of week these days a lot of it is cause of these stupid international weekends which wipes 4-5 Saturdays off .tv has already control in championship . its the tues night fixtures in winter which I hate which is totally down to having all these blank wkds  if we go up unless we are in Europe or team we due to play that Saturday where in Europe weds or thurs then most of games will be on Saturday ,don't think we would be on sky every 2 wks

Its not just Sky though mate its BT n all. You do make a fair point about the Saturday games this season.

I think we would do better than many of us think if we went up to the PL.

Its not like the bottom 3 teams are 20 points off anyone else.  There is always a PL srelegatio crap. 

Sunderland and Swansea have been on the decline for years. Hull are mediocre and Boro's tactics all season hasn't been to score goals. 

Edited by iliveinthenow

Yes, it's absolutely rubbish.   I've only seen two Prem games in the 17 years we've been away.  One at the Lane and one at the KC.

Quite happy if we go up, take £175m and come down again.  Be a yo-yo club again, like in the fifties.

If we could compete with Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man C and Man U I'd be happy enough.   But I can't see it.  

5 minutes ago, iliveinthenow said:

Many clubs in the top flight are not staple premier league clubs.

Whats keeping them up is PL money and parachute payments whilst the likes of us, Leeds and Forest and even Derby at one point (a few years ago) had big debts when we all came down. 

Parachute payments did not exist in the year 2000 when we went down. 

Many clubs in the late 90s era and early 2000's suffered and did not recover. Its a lot easier to recover if you go down these days. 

Surely the mere fact parachute payments exist tells you the premier league is totally out of control and something need to be done to cap the ridiculous wages in the prem. ?

Just now, S36 OWL said:

Surely the mere fact parachute payments exist tells you the premier league is totally out of control and something need to be done to cap the ridiculous wages in the prem. ?

Agreed.

I was just highlighting why some big club Yorkshire clubs have struggled. So this lets another 4 teams take their place. 4 clubs is 20% of the premier league. 

15 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

12 times at home on a Saturday this season and 13 last. Out of 23 home games a year that's not a big percentage is it?

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

Last time i came to the Hawthorns the Beer was warm too. lol

you drink in the wrong places :laugh: