Fletcher sending off - Massive provocation

I've been watching a few of the Wednesday week gifs this afternoon and I think in hindsight we were hard done to on several accounts. What Stephens did to Fletcher certainly warranted the same punishment so either both yellows or both reds. It was handbags at worst. I know Brighton fans are worried that Wednesday are going to demand some retrospective action on Stephens. Don't know if that's possible. The other point is the tackle on Hunt. When you watch it in slow motion he is watching the ball so there is no malice but it was very dangerous because he had both feet off the ground when he made contact. It could easily have been a leg breaking tackle. There's been an interesting debate on that one too as to whether it should have been yellow or red. 

When it all kicked off just look at Stephens take a step back an not get involved...smart. I don't think you can blame the referee and officials because play had moved on and therefore they can't have eyes in the back of their heads. I guess that's what retrospective punishment is for but can't help but think Stephens will get off unfortunately!

39 minutes ago, Babushka1867 said:

When it all kicked off just look at Stephens take a step back an not get involved...smart. I don't think you can blame the referee and officials because play had moved on and therefore they can't have eyes in the back of their heads. I guess that's what retrospective punishment is for but can't help but think Stephens will get off unfortunately!

I totally agree....which is why it begs the question how can he send one off and let the other off?? From watching v that gif I think Stevens deserved red fletch yellow/ maybe red........why on earth do we not use a fourth official watchingtv to get these decisions right? The Leeds penalty being a perfect example

1 hour ago, Owl 44 said:

The other point is the tackle on Hunt. When you watch it in slow motion he is watching the ball so there is no malice but it was very dangerous because he had both feet off the ground when he made contact. It could easily have been a leg breaking tackle. There's been an interesting debate on that one too as to whether it should have been yellow or red. 

I feel it was reckless, as I said in the matchday thread. The commentators were all pointing out how he wasn't looking at Hunt, therefore no malice - but clearly he knew he was in a challenge or he wouldn't have any reason to lunge for the ball like that. Looking only at the ball *is* the offence in this case, whereas more often it's aiming for the player that gets you sent off. You've got to be responsible and play safely though, and a waist-high flying lunge for a high ball is totally not doing that. Simply having 'ignored' the proximity of opposition players and flung yourself at the ball isn't acceptable IMO. The only reason he caught Jack on the knee is that both were off the ground, could easily have been stomach/ribs on another day.

Edited by Mr. Tom