Tom Lees

If John Stones is worth 50 Million then we can command a fee for Lees of 10 - 15 million, Stones is nothing special, he is merely one of a hand full of English CB's playing in the Premiership, Lees is a better defender all round and when he plays in the Premiership, whether it be with Wednesday or somebody else, he will receive all the plaudits, accolades and more that have been afforded to Stones.

4 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I'd sell him for 8 million or more.  I like him but he is nowhere near as good as people make out.  Can't sell him yet anyway though, he's the only fit CB we have!!

You have clearly got sh*t in your eyes!

The way the market is at the moment, the club shouldn't entertain anything less than £10m

He's one of the outstanding young centre halfs in the country, I've watched him for 2 years now and I've yet to see him have a bad game

If we sell him, especially with Loovens and hutch out, we'd be committing hari kari. 

No defenders with a new season upon us.

Whoever would come wouldn't have time.  It would unsettle us too much

Cc and DC won't let that happen.  

3 minutes ago, MrEdwards said:

I don't think he'd go anywhere else in the championship, but a low end prem club could be hard to fight off with the right fee. If we lose Lees we need a big fee to replace him with the same caliber.

I agree that he won't be going to another Championship club. Why would DC want to sell to Derby in particular, they are likely to be fierce rivals in the battle to get in the top six? However Premiership clubs have so much money now that if they are determined enough they could well prise him away for a big fee. DC has said we don't need to sell so he won't be going cheaply if at all, but when Premiership clubs come calling it must understandably turn players' heads. The problem is if we let one major asset go others might follow.

As for replacing Lees with the same calibre, very difficult and very expensive with no guarantee that he will fit in as well as Lees has. Stones for £50 million, sums it up really, crazy! He didn't even get to play in the Euros! Interesting to note Barnsley will pick up about £7 million if the deal goes through, meaning that they will in effect have got £10 million for Stones.

4 hours ago, BC1867 said:

Really pleased to say for once we are in a position to hold out for big money. Hes one of our unsung heroes and a prize asset imho. If John Stones is worth 50 million, Lees is worth at least 10 mil imho

If John stones is worth 50 mil , lees is worth 200 mil ! 

Blackburn turned down several earlier bids for Hanley, but sold him in the end. Don't think we'd be tempted to sell though, not if we have genuine aspirations of promotion. £5m+ is the going rate for a decent championship centre back though, these days! and probably what we'll have to pay if we want a similar player

If Lees went this close to the start of the season we would be looking at a similar start to the campaign as last time with any new recruit needing about a dozen games to properly bed in and form a partnership.

Even if we bought an absolute world beater of a CB I reckon he'd be given a month of training and cameo appearances before being thrust into a central defensive pairing that on preseason evidence looks to be quite well organised and have a good understanding leading on from last season and the work undertaken in preseason thus far.

3 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Not sure why I got begged on last post.  I rate Lees but he is nowhere near as good as most Owls think.  When Loovens is out he looks very average. If Hutch can stay fit, he will be a better CB imo.  Not slagging Lees off, he's still better than anything we've had at CB in the last 20 years!

its more about the market, Boro were bidding 5/6m for Harry Maguire who has less championship experience than Lees.

2 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Interesting point to consider, would you swap Lees for McCormack if Fulham are serious?

No. We have more quality attackers than we do defenders.

The only benefit of selling lees would be to have a cheaper replacement of similar quality lined up and to use the cash to balance the books/strengthen elsewhere