Why did we sign Bus? The striker problem.

Bus - you mean the lad who since arriving won a penalty for us in first appearance, spent 6 weeks injured, and scored after 2 games returned but as result you have writen him off as surplus to requirements??

Edited by dowls

Bus - you mean the lad who since arriving won a penalty for us in first appearance, spent 6 weeks injured, and scored after 2 games returned but as result you have writen him off as surplus to requirements??

Dowls you made my post for me mate

sort of understand the OP's questioning re the timing of the signing, but I suspect he was a speculative gamble financed by DC that if he'd not got injured straight away might have paid off who knows  - optimistically I'd like to think he will be settled in now and ready to fully contribute his promise during the summer tour  and hit the floor running next season

Before I start i'm not saying Bus is a bad signing, just struggling to understand why we have signed him given the circumstances. 

Right now we have 4 strikers on our books, Nuhiu,Lavery,Bus and May(Not including Madine as he'll be released and loanee Keane) and it's no secret we've struggled to score this season, 39 league goals in 43 games is a poor statistic, regardless of how solid our defense has been, we've scored the 4th lowest goals in the league. And when I look back at the teams we've played in particular at home that have been awful like Bolton, Rotherham and Brighton I can't believe how teams like that have scored more goals than us this season. I mean Brighton's top scorer is a defender and they've still scored more goals than us... It's clear goals have been a big problem for us this season.

So, what are we going to do about our current strikers? Nuhiu, as much as he gets slated on here is our top scorer and is an excellent target man for this division and Gray has indicated he's very much part of his next season plans, so I highly doubt he will go anywhere. Lavery I would argue is our most talented prospect and I personally think he's better than May although very similar players(better on the ball, can play out wide, better positional awareness and has abit of quality in him), plus he signed a new deal recently so I can't see him going or being loaned out again next season(providing he stays fit). May, I understand why we signed him as we needed a striker at the start of the season and he's done alright I suppose for this first year in English football which is a massive step up for him, much like Nuhiu could have scored alot more if he'd been more clinical.

That brings me to Bus....why exactly did we decide to sign a Romanian 22 year old mid February for around 400k? (reoprted) I honestly do not understand, yes we were struggling for goals but we could have just recalled Lavery sooner or Madine and we still had Keane...But the big point for me is the future, if we really want to progress in this division we need at least one striker that's going to score 15+ a season, and is Bus that man? Assuming we want to push on and sign a first choice striker in summer with the 4 we already have at least 1 would have to make way, and for the points I've already mentioned I don't see that being Nuhiu or Lavery. Yes, we haven't seen the best of Bus and he is young, but why did we sign him then? I can only see it being a Chansiri pick, there was no hype no rumours about a player nothing, then all of a sudden we signed Sergiu Bus, out of nowhere...I would rather us wait until summer when we have a budget and sign a goal scorer that has at least played in England before. Bus is too much of a risk that we did not need to take and if we really want to move on and push for promotion we need to be signing strikers that will hit the ground running. As much as I like the guy this is not the long term solution to building a better squad.

We signed Bus because Nuhiu and May couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

Next season we will have 3 young forwards in May, Lavery and Bus and I believe them they will score between 40 & 50 goals, bring some one in whi is quicker and more mobile than "The plank" and we should do alright, also we must get more goals out of midfield and set pieces.

Next season we will have 3 young forwards in May, Lavery and Bus and I believe them they will score between 40 & 50 goals, bring some one in whi is quicker and more mobile than "The plank" and we should do alright, also we must get more goals out of midfield and set pieces.

I didn't know May was known as "The Plank". You're right though; he isn't quick or mobile.

How can anyone pass judgement on a guy who has hardly kicked a ball and no one had honestly heard of....only time will tell

and if you dont give a player who is a stranger to the Uk the  time to settle then we should never sign anyone from overseas.

We don't know what Bus may do in the future, but IF he was signed to push us towards the playoffs, spending a little more may have provided a proven Championship striker more likely to make an immediate impact.

I see SG as too much of a yes man to argue/explain budget versus expectations with Mr C.   We need a DoF to define what budget is really needed if we are aiming for the Prem by 2017. 

One could argue you need both.

I understand the frustration though when we've spent years gambling on cheaper signings. However, no way in the world I'd be questioning the signing of Bus. (And I'm still undecided about Stevie May). There are too many puzzle pieces missing still.

It's probably a good thing the fee we paid will remain undisclosed then!

When we signed Bus we had no idea where Lavery was going to be after his injury. We literally moved Lavery out to chesterfield the day Bus arrived, and he needed that time there... he needed something more competitive than the U21's but less demanding than our first team and it's lack of goals and chances.

So signing Bus, who was lauded and reportedly wanted by a quite a few clubs in Europe, didn't seem a bad gamble. And like Melo, I feel he was singed with more of an eye to next season... but just securing them now, allowing them time to settle into the rhythm a little and allowing them to hit the ground running from the first game of next season?

I can see Lavery spending more time out wide anyway in the future, and we'll just bring in more competition for Nuhui... well, someone better who is just a different type of player maybe!

We could have easily recalled Madine who was fit and scoring OR loaned in someone. I agree Lavery had to go out on loan and if we don't bring in some decent wingers I can see him getting shifted outwide too :/. It's hard to find form when your competing against 4 other strikes, hopefully Bus can have a good pre season then we can make a proper assessment.

I never said he was a bad signing at all. Yeah he's done okay in the game's he has played. But I'm suggesting was signing a young eastern European mid feb going to be the best option in the long run? As i've previously stated in the transfer window we'll no doubt move for a striker which would give us with 5...resulting in at least 1 being moved on. 

We don't know what Bus may do in the future, but IF he was signed to push us towards the playoffs, spending a little more may have provided a proven Championship striker more likely to make an immediate impact.

I see SG as too much of a yes man to argue/explain budget versus expectations with Mr C.   We need a DoF to define what budget is really needed if we are aiming for the Prem by 2017. 

He COULD be fantastic for us, but at the end of the day it's a gamble, and you don't build a promotion challenging team on gamble signings. 

Why do people expect foreign signings to come to England and settle straight away? maybe the lad speaks little English and needs time to get used to his new surroundings and the Sheffield area.

Because they settle straight away when you're playing fifa!

In reality most people will have never lived in another country or even away from their friends/families so don't understand that, let alone the language barrier that are in place... and that's all before you get to take on the new job, with a new manager and a complete new system in front of you.

Some will just think, but it's their job, they get paid loads... but it's really failing to see how complex a situation is.

And for those who say football is a universal language, if they're good enough they'll do it... well this isn't an issue with his the players natural ability either... just look at some of those in the premier league failing to quickly adapt, I don't even need to name names as there's so many of them who came with large price tags and past glories but have failed to establish themselves.

Maybe he's going to turn outta be great. Maybe he isn't. Don't think 400k on a young strike scoring goals is much of a gamble. Hopefully will adapt well with a full preseason behind him. Hopefully were going to sign a proven goalscorer and the likes of may bus lavery can push for a starting place. After all having 4 or 5 strikers on the books is better than 2-3 as strikers can dip in form or get injured etc.

We still had an outside chance of making the play-offs when we signed him and we weren't scoring enough goals to do so. It made sense to bring in a striker if we wanted to even have a chance of making them this season, especially a cheap one with potential if we couldn't spend big before the takeover was confirmed.