Who's never seen a World Class player at Hillsborough?

Guest LEGEND

Never thought I'd see a thread on here that made me feel glad I'm an old git. Season ticket holder since the late sixties so I've seen lots of

great players at Hillsborough.

Pele, Best, Quixall, John Charles, Ron Springett, Hirst, Sheriden, Waddle, Swan, Duncan Edwards. Oh FF's sake somebody send me to bed before I

start crying!

As great as some of our players have been over the years, have we ever had an actual 'World Class Player'?

I've had a season ticket since 1979 - seen some outstanding players, but very few world class players, certainly not in their prime. Maybe Bryan Robson, Peter Schmeichel, and dare I say it Cantona?

Waddle, Hirst, Nilsson were fantastic players - but they were not World Class.

I was thinking about this the other day as well.  I was lucky enough to start going to games in 91 and TOTALLY took for granted the fact that I was watching Bergkamp, Klinsmann, Zola, Vialli, Gullit, Shearer (the list goes on and on) and the like season in season out.

and of course our 90s heroes.

Similar to you mate. I was 8 or 9 and only really got into it after the cup final win. Mainly because my dad was over the moon and i get swept up in it all. Started going to the odd game in the following season then got a season ticket to share with my younger brother. Having to pick the games we'd each get was a bit of a task but managed to see us beat the top teams at the time - Man U, Arsenal, Blackburn. Then our young-un signed for the School of Excellence under Clive Baker and then got 2 free season tickets so we had 4 tickets in the family for a good few years. 

The first year I stopped the season ticket was the season before we ended up getting relegated and only really picked it back up seriously the last 5 or 6 years living in Hillsborough. Watching those season reviews back like "It's a kind of Magic" is rather depressing when compared to the teams we had of late.

Neil Roberts - Former Welsh International.

Paul Green - Republic Of Ireland International. 

Lewis Price - Welsh International.

Eddie Lewis - Former USA International

Michael Johnson - Former Jamaica International.

Kenny Miller - Former Scottish International.

David Marshall - Scottish International.

Rory Fallon - New Zealand International.

Brian Stock - Former Welsh International.  

Neil Sullivan - Former Scottish International. 

Sheki Kuqi - Former Finnish International. 

Jose Fonte - Portuguese International.

Ashley Williams - Welsh International. 

Jason Scotland - Former Trinidad & Tobago International. 

Jason Euell - Former Jamaican International.

Adam Lallana - England International.

Rudi Skacel - Former Czech Republic International. 

Miguel Commingues - Guadeloupe International.

Quincy Owusu-Abeyie - Ghana International.

Gavin Rae - Former Scotland International. 

Jay Bothroyd - Former England International.

Stephen McPhail - Former Republic of Ireland International.

Ross McCormack - Former Scotland International.

Yann Kermogant - Brittany International.

Abdoulaye Meite - Ivory Coast International.

Just some of the names since we've dropped out Premiership. 

Edited by aeroswfc

As great as some of our players have been over the years, have we ever had an actual 'World Class Player'?

I've had a season ticket since 1979 - seen some outstanding players, but very few world class players, certainly not in their prime. Maybe Bryan Robson, Peter Schmeichel, and dare I say it Cantona?

Waddle, Hirst, Nilsson were fantastic players - but they were not World Class.

As great as some of our players have been over the years, have we ever had an actual 'World Class Player'?

Waddle, Hirst, Nilsson were fantastic players - but they were not World Class.

I guess it depends how you define world class. Best 11 or 22 players on the planet? I think that Waddle has a pretty good case for the latter or perhaps a slightly wider definition after being FWA Footballer of the year in 1993 and also playing in a European Cup Final a couple of years before.

As great as some of our players have been over the years, have we ever had an actual 'World Class Player'?

Waddle, Hirst, Nilsson were fantastic players - but they were not World Class.

Waddle and Nilsson not world class? Dear me.

Roland Nilsson won over 100 caps for Sweden and would have been in many a world XI when he was with us.

Chris Waddle won 60 odd caps for England and help them get further in the WC than any other England team in my lifetime. He also destroyed a Milan defence containing Maldini and Baresi while playing in the European Cup. He won the football writer's player of the year while he was with us. Not sure what else he was supposed to do. If he played today, he'd walk into the England team.

Edited by CrosbyKitchens