Palmer and Bannan.

7 minutes ago, lukeyswfc said:

Palmer out Vaulks in for Stoke.

Palmer does look tired.

I would go 4-4-2 with the following. (fitness depending with Ugbo and Bernard)

Dawson

Valentin      Iorfa      Iheikwe (bernard if fit) James

Palmer           Vaulks        Bannan          Windass

Paterson      Smith

If Ugbo is fit he takes one of the front 2 positions.

• Haha 6

I just don’t think Palmer is good enough to play in that position on a regular basis

Fair enough to step in every now and again if Vaulks needs a break, but they are a decent way apart in terms of ability in that position 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, royalowlisback said:

Dawson

Paterson      Smith

Why James, he's been no where near the bench never mind the starting 11

It’s no wonder they are tired, we really only Bannan, Vaulks and Palmer.

Bannan and Vaulks are midfielders, with Palmer filling in, he’s not really a midfielder.

Röhl clearly doesn’t see Momo as an option, he’s been chucked to the side and Hendrick is awful.

Baz looks tired at the moment, Palmer isn't fully suited to that midfield role but does a job there and is fine as cover for injuries. How he gets on ahead of a fit Vaulks is anyone's guess. Not a slant at Palmer, love the guy but Vaulks is miles ahead as a midfielder. 

Special mention to Baz last night for that ball to Paterson. He hit it with the outside of his foot and the curve on that ball was absolute magic. Paterson got hold of it superbly and the two defenders were all over the place. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Southowl said:

Why James, he's been no where near the bench never mind the starting 11

Famewo may need a rest - he does have a habit of missing a few games when he plays a few games close together. Vaulks looked better for the 'rest' when he came on - I think Famewo is a decent Centre Half - but he is very poor when crosses come in from our right - he switches off on the back post - I prefer him in the middle.

3 minutes ago, Fablon Dunlop said:

Baz looks tired at the moment, Palmer isn't fully suited to that midfield role but does a job there and is fine as cover for injuries. How he gets on ahead of a fit Vaulks is anyone's guess. Not a slant at Palmer, love the guy but Vaulks is miles ahead as a midfielder. 

Yep, Vaulks is a far better midfielder. 

I can only assume the medical team feel he needed a bit of a rest?

I do wish we'd strengthened that part of the squad in January, though...

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yep, Vaulks is a far better midfielder. 

I can only assume the medical team feel he needed a bit of a rest?

I do wish we'd strengthened that part of the squad in January, though...

All 3 are 30 somethings. Maybe just a case of keeping them as fresh as possible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Famewo may need a rest - he does have a habit of missing a few games when he plays a few games close together. Vaulks looked better for the 'rest' when he came on - I think Famewo is a decent Centre Half - but he is very poor when crosses come in from our right - he switches off on the back post - I prefer him in the middle.

Is Vaulks’ contract up at the end of the season? I assume that it is, as towards the end of the game he practised a few moves that he’ll be using when he moves into WWE in the summer!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, JohnnyQuinnsQuiff said:

Is Vaulks’ contract up at the end of the season? I assume that it is, as towards the end of the game he practised a few moves that he’ll be using when he moves into WWE in the summer!

I actually swear I saw Vaulks, Paterson and Bailey all 'clothes-line' their opposites - was a proper 'Smackdown'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I felt that with Musaba and less so Gassama being a bit headless with their positioning, dragged Bannan and Palmer out wide too often leaving an empty space/gulf in midfield for them to play into. That coupled with Windass being totally anonymous all half and not working back they had too much to do. 

I'd prefer Vaulks in mid as he's a bit more mobile and tenacious.

1 hour ago, SheffWed said:

It’s no wonder they are tired, we really only Bannan, Vaulks and Palmer.

Bannan and Vaulks are midfielders, with Palmer filling in, he’s not really a midfielder.

Röhl clearly doesn’t see Momo as an option, he’s been chucked to the side and Hendrick is awful.

Which makes it even more criminal that we let Byers go so easily! Would have been a crucial part of the squad at this point of the season if he was still here.

1 hour ago, royalowlisback said:

Agree re Fawemo. He never looks comfortable to me at LB.

Also he switched off again last night and let Sargeant give him the slip for the goal. Just like he did with Bamford against Leeds.

6 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Agree re Fawemo. He never looks comfortable to me at LB.

Also he switched off again last night and let Sargeant give him the slip for the goal. Just like he did with Bamford against Leeds.

He is a centre half - and he plays like one. His positioning is just wrong when defending the back post, like you say it was the same versus Leeds.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

Dawson

Paterson      Smith

Not bad, I would swap Palmer and Pol though.