How much longer will it be before football supporters rise up  against VAR and the cheats who manipulate it’s dodgy decisions
I would love to go back to see game’s controlled by a referee and two LINES MEN. 
Without interference from outsiders who can alter a decision to suit an agenda 

When a goal is  scored let the crowd go ape

We now have outsiders  who may be looking for  a way to disallow a goal
As for being offside by the width of a toe nail. Give over !!!
Time wasted making the decision takes away the excitement and enjoyment of paying customers

Allowing  excessive time added is open to 
Abuse  given to allow certain clubs to play on until they score and win
There are other reasons bIt this is my two pennort

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The real poor quality of officiating before VAR led for everyone in the game screaming for something more fitting for the modern game. 

The speed and athleticism of the modern player was leaving officials miles behind play.  It was suspected that the existing system gave too much power and responsibility to one man ( or woman), leaving them vulnerable to blackmail or bribery. 

VAR was supposed to use technology to eliminate errors on crucial decisions , sending offs and goals. 

As it is, it's basically just another referee and their interpretation of the rules, meaning that mistakes are still being made so we haven't gained anything except for a disjointed game and more frustration.

Games are lasting over 100 minutes now, the 90 minute game in the Premier League is a thing of the past .

Just look at the VAR stats here to see how badly the game has been affected :

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/38196464/how-var-decisions-affect-premier-league-club-2023-24

36 checks leading to disallowed goals already this season.

20  Goals scored for VAR awarded penalties

8 Goals ruled out for handball!

I think an off season review of how it can improved is needed. 

• Like 1

The frustration is it’s promoting diving.

If you feel any touch go down. It’ll go to VAR, they’ll spend 5 mins slowing it down 300

times to see a touch and give a foul.

It’s ridiculous.

And the offsides are pathetic. If it’s taking that long and zoomed in that much then it’s not clear and obvious error is it? Allow the goal!

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, lukeyswfc said:

And the offsides are pathetic. If it’s taking that long and zoomed in that much then it’s not clear and obvious error is it? Allow the goal!

I don't think the offside part of the VAR guidelines are for 'clear and obvious errors' though, are they? They're for actual definite decisions, as it's not something that can be down to interpretation. The 'clear and obvious error' guidelines only come into the other VAR-able decisions, such as sendings-off and penalties. The problem here is not VAR itself, it's the way in which it's being used.

With the exception of offsides, the VAR officials should be looking at a replay and literally thinking "was that a huge mistake by the on-field officials: yes or no? Did they miss something absolutely clear?". Instead, they're looking at tiny details like "ooh, could that have brushed the defender's hand?" or "there could be some contact there, let's replay it over and over again, to see".

The problem with the offside decisions is that the video footage doesn't match the resolution of the graphic overlays they use. Until they're able to use higher definition, ultra-high framerate footage for it, it'll never meet the standard required for making a definite offside/onside decision. I've said it before, but I think they should use a similar system to the review system for LBW in cricket, in that it employs a margin for error which then reverts to the officials' on-field decision.

Edited by punkskaphil
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

I've said it before, but I think they should use a similar system to the review system for LBW in cricket, in that it employs a margin for error which then reverts to the officials' on-field decision.

Said the same mate, I’d also put a limit on the number of reviews allowed per half/per game… 90th minute goal ruled out for a dodgy offside but you used up your reviews trying to get someone sent off? Tough shít!

Not VAR but another thing for me that's slowing the game and adding time is the amount of substitutions allowed 5 is to many, a 2nd half can see 10 substitutions being made, 3 each for me is plenty

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bannofan said:

The real poor quality of officiating before VAR led for everyone in the game screaming for something more fitting for the modern game. 

The speed and athleticism of the modern player was leaving officials miles behind play.  It was suspected that the existing system gave too much power and responsibility to one man ( or woman), leaving them vulnerable to blackmail or bribery. 

VAR was supposed to use technology to eliminate errors on crucial decisions , sending offs and goals. 

As it is, it's basically just another referee and their interpretation of the rules, meaning that mistakes are still being made so we haven't gained anything except for a disjointed game and more frustration.

Games are lasting over 100 minutes now, the 90 minute game in the Premier League is a thing of the past .

Just look at the VAR stats here to see how badly the game has been affected :

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/38196464/how-var-decisions-affect-premier-league-club-2023-24

36 checks leading to disallowed goals already this season.

20  Goals scored for VAR awarded penalties

8 Goals ruled out for handball!

I think an off season review of how it can improved is needed. 

Can easily just argue that 36 goals would have stood that everyone would have been angry about. 

Also games are lasting closer to 80 minutes now rather than the 60 minutes we had before, so closer to 90 now. 

8 hours ago, Grizzly Bizzly said:

I really don't like it. The main thing that would get me if we were the Prem is that it nulls the goal celebrations which is why I'm there in the first place.

Keep goal line technology, lose VAR

its not a goal celebration if its not a goal though. 

On 03/04/2024 at 10:25, matthefish2002 said:

Think majority of fans don't want VAR (or at least want it scaled down significantly).

Fans are supposed to be the most important part of the game

That’s just the bullshit the likes of UEFA trot out but it’s clear time and time again they don’t give a stuff about the fans. No fan was asked their opinion of whether we wanted VAR or not. 

• Like 2