Reading owner selling up…now for DC

2 hours ago, nickswfc said:

Well his last strategy got us close twice and his new strategy is only seven months old, if it wasn't for our woeful start and the terrible PR, I think we'd be saying we're doing a lot right.

We'll never know what goes on in his head, but I imagine he'd rather stomach a few more seasons losing £5m or so a season, rather than realising a massive loss right now, but no one can be sure.

His last strategy was s**t or bust and we are still paying for it now.

His current strategy currently has us on the brink of a return to the third division.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

His last strategy was s**t or bust and we are still paying for it now.

His current strategy currently has us on the brink of a return to the third division.

And paying nearly £3m a season in rent for a decaying stadium, with a subpar training ground and no board of directors.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, nickswfc said:

Well his last strategy got us close twice and his new strategy is only seven months old, if it wasn't for our woeful start and the terrible PR, I think we'd be saying we're doing a lot right. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

38 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

Do you think the appointment Röhl and his team, plus focussing on younger players with resale value like Musaba, Gassama and Bernard, could be considered a plan and/or strategy?

I think was more a crisis plan to be fair mate

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

50 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

Do you think the appointment Röhl and his team, plus focussing on younger players with resale value like Musaba, Gassama and Bernard, could be considered a plan and/or strategy?

That only works if Bernard is here next season and as it stands I don't see that being the case.

14 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

Come on mate

If we'd had Röhl all season and we hadn't had the bullsh1t PR dramas - we would be saying exactly that

If we hadn't been relegated last time around we'd have been in the championship etc etc

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

30 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Not really no in the grand scheme- its a set of appointments which are just one small part of a much larger picture that needs addressing.

Also not convinced they are his decision.  Why weren’t they all appointed at the start of the season when it’s possible they could have been?  Instead he hired Xisco, the worst appt in the clubs history. Bar the odd exeption his judgement had been shocking.

What’s DCs plan to improve the youth team, facilities, club infrastructure, stadium etc? 

Where does he see us in 3 years time..How does he plan to get us there, keep us there etc.

How would he make us competitive in the prem (if we ever got there under his stewardship) how can he make us more appealing in the community, how will help drive awareness outside Sheffield/abroad? What are his plans to increase the fan base and make the club more attractive to other investors etc etc. how does he plan to bring in more revenue and take away reliance on the existing base ..one could go on and on.

Whilst a start, making the club successful and a solid enterprise on a long term basis is more than just a few appointments.

Mate, show me a buyer who offers all those things and I'll be the first one handing flyers out.

20 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

I disagree

If it was crisis planning signings would've been more like 21/22 or 22/23

Let's look at what you're suggesting about the chairman a little deeper

Off the pitch how are we doing?

Let's go through them one by one and give me your thoughts if you would, on the chairmans performance in each area

• Club Finances
  • Pitch
  • Facilities for fans in the ground
  • Training ground
  • Matchday Ticket prices
  • Replica shirt price
  • PR and press
  • Standard of communication with fans

let's start with just those

I'd be interested in hearing where you think the chairman is in terms of ability and performance on those metrics

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, nickswfc said:

Bernard signed a 1 year deal and will most likely be gone if we are relegated. Musaba and Gassama both have huge sell-on fees - if we are relegated there value will be very low - with a 50% sell on fee. We are hardly the second coming of Brentford - who apparently are a poorly run club (according to DC).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Let's look at what you're suggesting about the chairman a little deeper

Off the pitch how are we doing?

Let's go through them one by one and give me your thoughts if you would, on the chairmans performance in each area

Club Finances
Pitch
Facilities for fans

Training ground

Matchday Ticket prices
Replica shirt price

PR and press

Standard of communication with fans

let's start with just those

I'd be interested in hearing where you think the chairman is in terms of ability and performance on those metrics

We've been down this rabbit hole before

With the benefit of hindsight I 100% agree, he should've invested in precisely all those areas - and not wasted it all on big money signings.

Ranking them all as a pass or fail would nearly all be fails.

But he gambled like many clubs do, and it just didn't pay off for us, there was always gonna be some pain if we didn't make it

6 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

We've been down this rabbit hole before

With the benefit of hindsight I 100% agree, he should've invested in precisely all those areas - and not wasted it all on big money signings.

Ranking them all as a pass or fail would nearly all be fails.

But he gambled like many clubs do, and it just didn't pay off for us, there was always gonna be some pain if we didn't make it

Some pain?

We are a League One/Championship Yo-Yo club like Rotherham, we no longer own our ground and have a manager that has to book the teams hotels - that is more than a bit of a pain.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

Mate, show me a buyer who offers all those things and I'll be the first one handing flyers out.

The owners at Ipswich for starters - with us last season and heading to the prem whilst we are on the brink of returning to L1.

Is it just by chance/luck they are where they are?   Or could there be other things they have concisely done to ensure their ongoing development…

There are many other examples in the prem and in leagues abroad of clubs that have adopted some or all these things.  There are too many to list.  The question is what has made them the success they are - and before you say it’s all about money, DC has a fair bit of that so not valid in my book - it’s how it’s spent - which comes back planning, a structure in place to determine/agree how the money is best spent and then strategy to ensure the plan is carried out.

The only time we had a semblance of this is when DC took over - as soon as he dispensed with this and decided he knew best (with help from Paxo - who is just as clueless but is a different issue altogether) and made decisions himself things have gone downhill ever since.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, royalowlisback said:

Some pain?

We are a League One/Championship Yo-Yo club like Rotherham, we no longer own our ground and have a manager that has to book the teams hotels - that is more than a bit of a pain.

The yo-yo aspect depends on this season imo. If we can scrape safety I think we'll become established Championship for the foreseeable. 

He never said he books hotels.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

The owners at Ipswich for starters - with us last season and heading to the prem whilst we are on the brink of returning to L1.

Is it just by chance/luck they are where they are?   Or could there be other things they have concisely done to ensure their ongoing development…

There are many other examples in the prem and in leagues abroad of clubs that have adopted some or all these things.  There are too many to list.  The question is what has made them the success they are - and before you say it’s all about money, DC has a fair bit of that so not valid in my book - it’s how it’s spent - which comes back planning, a structure in place to determine/agree how the money is best spent and then strategy to ensure the plan is carried out.

The only time we had a semblance of this is when DC took over - as soon as he dispensed with this and decided he knew best (with help from Paxo - who is just as clueless but is a different issue altogether) and made decisions himself things have gone downhill ever since.

Yeah so show me a buyer who has the resources to buy us and who will do the below and I'll firmly get behind them.

- reduce ticket prices

- invest large amounts into the academy, training ground and stadium

- invest large amounts into the team

- keep us within FFP 

Just saying "someone will come along" is too idealistic. 

It's easy to sit on the sidelines and pick holes and look at extreme examples like Ipswich to form your argument. Re Ipswich there's also plenty to suggest they'll need to sell and cut costs if they don't go up this year.

To convince a large percentage of the fanbase that protesting and causing disruption is for the betterment of the club will require a lot more that what has been done so far.

Edited by nickswfc
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Let’s revisit the Ipswich owners are amazing argument in a year or 2. If they fail to go up then they may well fall into the poo or bust category we were in a few years back. Major difference would be that they would probably manage it better by selling an asset or 2 to balance the books. Will championship player values drop with FFP now hitting prem teams harder is a big question. 

17 hours ago, nickswfc said:

Come on mate

If we'd had Röhl all season and we hadn't had the bullsh1t PR dramas - we would be saying exactly that

We are still don’t have a transfer strategy, stadium investment, training ground investment, we are terrible commercially, etc. 

• Like 3