Reading owner selling up…now for DC

41 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

On balance agree would like to see him go but he's not the devil people make him out to be

Given what DR has done with the squad since he's been here DC might just think that he's going to have a better chance of getting to the Prem by backing him and his team and letting them take care of the football side...now he needs a good CEO to take care of the business side 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

There are parallels between dia young, Mel Morris and chansiri.

All three took clubs with no parachute payments and tried a 3 year gamble to go up and failed, where they deviate is how they responded to failure:

Morris pulled plug and stopped paying in, took out £10's of millions in loans and put club in administration.

Young, stopped paying pulled plug and built up massive tax debts continuous embargoes and club fighting to stay out of league 2.

Chansiri stuck around, took his medicine, continued to fund losses even whilst club under embargo for beach of FFP, continued to fund extra losses through COVID with low income, continued to fund losses for 2 seasons in league one to give Moore a budget / squad to challenge for promotion.

No doubting there have also been disasters in ticket prices, investment  (or lack of) in infrastructure and horrible communication gaffs.

On balance agree would like to see him go but he's not the devil people make him out to be.

Yep he's stuck around. Meanwhile Hillsborough and the training ground crumble around him and the club stagnates, a yo-yo club bouncing between the lower reaches of the Championship and League One. Meanwhile clubs who have fallen lower than us rise higher than us. By clinging on he prevents progress - can anyone see any hope with him?

He may not be as bad as any number of terrible football club owners - I once met Ken Richardson, there was a card. Fred McIver wasn't as bad as John Beswetherick. The man still needs to go - balance doesn't come into it, it's obvious. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

All three took clubs with no parachute payments and tried a 3 year gamble to go up and failed, where they deviate is how they responded to failure:

Morris pulled plug and stopped paying in, took out £10's of millions in loans and put club in administration.

Young, stopped paying pulled plug and built up massive tax debts continuous embargoes and club fighting to stay out of league 2.

Chansiri stuck around, took his medicine, continued to fund losses even whilst club under embargo for beach of FFP, continued to fund extra losses through COVID with low income, continued to fund losses for 2 seasons in league one to give Moore a budget / squad to challenge for promotion.

No doubting there have also been disasters in ticket prices, investment  (or lack of) in infrastructure and horrible communication gaffs.

On balance agree would like to see him go but he's not the devil people make him out to be.

Agree again on most of that.

In 2021 I was in the camp of he was like Young or Morris or another that type - it looked like he'd blown his wad and couldn't fund the club any longer. But that isn't what happened next, he gave Moore a significant wage budget in League 1, covered the losses himself and kept us within FFP. If it wasn't for our period under Xisco and some embarrassing PR, this season would've been a continuation of that, and may yet prove to be if we stop up.

It's why many fans including myself would support him leaving if we knew the alternative, but are not willing to villify and oust the bloke in the blind hope summat better pops along, especially when there is zero logic as to why Chansiri would happilly realise his substantial losses by selling at a cut price.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

36 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

In 2021 I was in the camp of he was like Young or Morris or another that type - it looked like he'd blown his wad and couldn't fund the club any longer. But that isn't what happened next, he gave Moore a significant wage budget in League 1, covered the losses himself and kept us within FFP. If it wasn't for our period under Xisco and some embarrassing PR, this season would've been a continuation of that, and may yet prove to be if we stop up.

It's why many fans including myself would support him leaving if we knew the alternative, but are not willing to villify and oust the bloke in the blind hope summat better pops along, especially when there is zero logic as to why Chansiri would happilly realise his substantial losses by selling at a cut price.

How’s that stance going for you after nine years of him in charge?

• Like 6

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

He’s lingered around rotting like some old sheep’s carcass with the wool rotting off its dead body, infecting the ground around it and just decomposing 

Thats not worthy of praise 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, nickswfc said:

He’s never going to recoup what he’s put into the club as he doesn’t have the know how to get us into the Premier League.

So every year his losses are going to grow and grow and his asking price will grow with it meaning if he doesn’t eventually lower the asking price, he is committed to losing millions more pounds every year on a failed project where the majority of his customers want rid of him.

There may come a time when his family decide it’s time to stop throwing good money after bad.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

He’s never going to recoup what he’s put into the club as he doesn’t have the know how to get us into the Premier League.

So every year his losses are going to grow and grow and his asking price will grow with it meaning if he doesn’t eventually lower the asking price, he is committed to losing millions more pounds every year on a failed project where the majority of his customers want rid of him.

There may come a time when his family decide it’s time to stop throwing good money after bad.

Well his last strategy got us close twice and his new strategy is only seven months old, if it wasn't for our woeful start and the terrible PR, I think we'd be saying we're doing a lot right.

We'll never know what goes on in his head, but I imagine he'd rather stomach a few more seasons losing £5m or so a season, rather than realising a massive loss right now, but no one can be sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

One accounting way of looking at it is as a sunk cost. Using that scenario the money he has spent is irrelevant to planning the future sale. However if he needs to try and recoup that cash then he may cling on in the hope that something will turn up. 

14 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

Well his last strategy got us close twice and his new strategy is only seven months old, if it wasn't for our woeful start and the terrible PR, I think we'd be saying we're doing a lot right.

We'll never know what goes on in his head, but I imagine he'd rather stomach a few more seasons losing £5m or so a season, rather than realising a massive loss right now, but no one can be sure.

Please put me in touch with your drug dealer. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It is strange that he loses money hand over fist year after year  and yet  seems to have no intention of selling .... is he  just the front man for some organisation that for some reason are comfortable funding an ailing football club ?.....guess we'll never know  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

Constructive point that, nice one

I can see no other reason why you would be so keen to back the bloke. You're ignoring the non-playing side completely. Sky high prices, shambolic training ground, crumbling stadium, disintegrating pitch, poor commercial performance, shoddy shop. It's a bit like the Tory Government. After so many years of his rule in what way are we a better club relative to where we were when he took over? Once you take away cake ball and the big screen what is better? 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, torryowl said:

It is strange that he loses money hand over fist year after year  and yet  seems to have no intention of selling .... is he  just the front man for some organisation that for some reason are comfortable funding an ailing football club ?.....guess we'll never know  

I ran a business for a guy, that was losing money. He was writing off those losses against his other business to reduce his tax burden. It was a plaything for him, with an alterior motive for the property when it failed. I worked my nads off to turn it around, unaware of his other plans. You don't always understand why people do things. Particularly in business.

4 hours ago, nickswfc said:

The issue is more around DC’s lack of business acumen and sensibility when it comes to running the club.

There is no structure, plan or strategy - and without these failure is almost inevitable, irrespective of whether it’s a football club, startup or any form of ongoing enterprise.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Dick_Turpin said:

I can see no other reason why you would be so keen to back the bloke. You're ignoring the non-playing side completely. Sky high prices, shambolic training ground, crumbling stadium, disintegrating pitch, poor commercial performance, shoddy shop. It's a bit like the Tory Government. After so many years of his rule in what way are we a better club relative to where we were when he took over? Once you take away cake ball and the big screen what is better? 

No interest in discussing with you if you're going to put words in my mouth

35 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

The issue is more around DC’s lack of business acumen and sensibility when it comes to running the club.

There is no structure, plan or strategy - and without these failure is almost inevitable, irrespective of whether it’s a football club, startup or any form of ongoing enterprise.

Do you think the appointment Röhl and his team, plus focussing on younger players with resale value like Musaba, Gassama and Bernard, could be considered a plan and/or strategy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

Do you think the appointment Röhl and his team, plus focussing on younger players with resale value like Musaba, Gassama and Bernard, could be considered a plan and/or strategy?

Not really no in the grand scheme- its a set of appointments which are just one small part of a much larger picture that needs addressing.

Also not convinced they are his decision.  Why weren’t they all appointed at the start of the season when it’s possible they could have been?  Instead he hired Xisco, the worst appt in the clubs history. Bar the odd exeption his judgement had been shocking.

What’s DCs plan to improve the youth team, facilities, club infrastructure, stadium etc? 

Where does he see us in 3 years time..How does he plan to get us there, keep us there etc.

How would he make us competitive in the prem (if we ever got there under his stewardship) how can he make us more appealing in the community, how will help drive awareness outside Sheffield/abroad? What are his plans to increase the fan base and make the club more attractive to other investors etc etc. how does he plan to bring in more revenue and take away reliance on the existing base ..one could go on and on.

Whilst a start, making the club successful and a solid enterprise on a long term basis is more than just a few appointments.

• Like 2
  • Love 2