What happened to bt sport having to show some CL games for free?

23 minutes ago, MF TAZ said:

I thought they were meant to show the same amount of games as used to be on itv, for free? 

Never heard that before. After ITV lost (i.e. were outbid for) the rights games were split between Sky and BT before it became BT exclusive. They were obliged to show the final for free, but even then it was only on YouTube.

I basically didn't watch any European football other than the finals for years after BT got the sole rights, wasn't paying for BT on top of Sky, but now I've got IPTV on a firestick so it's all good. £5pm for way more content than Sky and BT combined, (jazz club voice) niiiice. 

I wish we’d stick to stuff that was great 

growing up, the champs league on itv was so good, it drew in none footballing fans etc - next day at school everyone was talking about it 

I proper hate bt sport tbh, it’s a huge amount extra to get a few more games 

people keep saying a PL subscription would be great and everything and I agree but it’ll be one sub for pl, one for fa cup, one for EFL, one for cl etc etc 

I wish the bbc would go after a load of stuff and the other free to view channels 

I guess this is why the players make so much now, people are paying for Sky, and bt sport and Amazon prime on top, all for the privilege of being advertised too

match tickets are expensive af 

it’s so out of hand 

8 hours ago, alanharper said:

Never heard that before. After ITV lost (i.e. were outbid for) the rights games were split between Sky and BT before it became BT exclusive. They were obliged to show the final for free, but even then it was only on YouTube.

I basically didn't watch any European football other than the finals for years after BT got the sole rights, wasn't paying for BT on top of Sky, but now I've got IPTV on a firestick so it's all good. £5pm for way more content than Sky and BT combined, (jazz club voice) niiiice. 

Op is correct.

When BT won the rights to the Champions League there was an agreement that at least one game would be shown for free. It stated with them showing one British Team for free per round, then went to a non British game (usually between 2 non descript teams and no of the big teams) Now I dont think they show any for free except the final.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/nov/11/bt-wins-champions-league-rights-what-does-it-mean

As part of the negotiations, Uefa insisted that some matches, including both finals, were shown free-to-air in order to preserve the value of its sponsorship deals and ensure that they could be seen by a wider audience. Under the current agreement, one game in every round of Champions League matches is shown on ITV, as well as some Europa League games. BT has promised that every participating British team will be shown free at least once a season to non-subscribers. Also, ITV could yet pick up a highlights package.

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

I reckon CL is a lot less popular in this country now. Nobody really ever talks about it

I only watch the finals these days. There's not enough exposure these days since they took coverage away from itv. For a few years they still had highlights on itv but even they have gone now.

On 10/05/2023 at 22:25, Beighton Owl 87 said:

I only watch the finals these days. There's not enough exposure these days since they took coverage away from itv. For a few years they still had highlights on itv but even they have gone now.

A lot of BT's Champions League coverage is just an ego trip for Jake Humphrey and Rio Ferdinand.

It's weird how they literally show Italian football every week and yet, come an all Italian semi they use none of those presenters/commentators and pundits.

Darren Fletcher being the number one commentator is another massive problem. Saying "In the Champions League" after every big moment tends to grate a bit after so long.

On 11/05/2023 at 07:21, Ellis Rimmer said:

I reckon CL is a lot less popular in this country now. Nobody really ever talks about it

There was a time, when there was a genuine buzz to seeing the game. As a fan of swfc, id always like to see the English teams do well.

Went to bt and it pretty much killed it.

• Like 1

I wonder if the Champions League has lost its buzz because it’s a lot of teams that have played each other before

Also, it rolls round the next season anyway 

I love watching the BT YouTube highlights but that’s as far as it goes. 

The group stages are usually boring. 

The knockouts are when the competition gets more exciting. 

BT's coverage is pretty dreadful though. Their efforts (or lack of effort) for the Milan derby was embarrassing. Basically, the general theme throughout was that neither of these teams are good enough and will be beaten by whoever wins the other semi final. 

That might prove to be the case, but a broadcaster should at least try and sell watch their are broadcasting. 

4 hours ago, SiJ said:

The group stages are usually boring. 

The knockouts are when the competition gets more exciting. 

BT's coverage is pretty dreadful though. Their efforts (or lack of effort) for the Milan derby was embarrassing. Basically, the general theme throughout was that neither of these teams are good enough and will be beaten by whoever wins the other semi final. 

That might prove to be the case, but a broadcaster should at least try and sell watch their are broadcasting. 

You forgot Rio saying "This is a cathedral" about 16 times.

They could always go back to what it should be like it was when it was the European Cup.

Champions only played in it.

it was much harder to win then.

Another money spinner, like the Europa League (also rans) and now the Europa conference?

If it carries on down much more, we'll be in it.

• Like 1