England World Cup Squad

fudge27

On 04/10/2022 at 13:30, fudge27 said:

England's third CM is used as a bridge player, Maddison is not that player. He is effective as a number 10. He would be competing for a spot in the team With Saka, Sterling, Foden, Grealish, Kane

Isn’t Maddison playing wide of a three for Leicester at the moment? 

Just now, fudge27 said:

Agreed, I'd bring Gomez and White in place of Tomori and James

Tempted to include Harvey Elliott if Kalvin Phillips doesn't make it 

Yeah I agree, especially now he’s playing central.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek would get in for me though, he’s getting regular game time and looked sharp today 

14 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Revised squad:

Pickford, Ramsdale, Pope

Trippier, Alexander-Arnold, Walker, Dier, Stones, White, Tomori, Shaw, Chilwell  

Rice, Bellingham, Ward-Prowse, Loftus-Cheek, Mount, Grealish, Saka, Foden, Maddison

Sterling, Kane, Abraham, Rashford, Toney

Looks about what I would go with.

I don't like Stones , and Tomori is having a badly timed poor season, but we are not blessed with options there. I personally would go with Lewis Dunk or Connor Coady who are both having good seasons . Not sure if Coady will want another bench warming tournament though. They key thing will be is to have us defending first and not playing it out from the back. None of our defenders are good enough to play that way.

Midfield and forwards I agree with, Rashford is playing well again and is a good impact sub. Toney and Abraham can deputise for an injured Kane without changing formation.

Line up for the first game 

Pickford 

Walker Dier Stones

Trippier Rice Bellingham Chilwell 

Sterling Kane Foden 

I do like the potential irony of Southgate having no choice but to play Trent after all this. 

Reece James likely out, Kyle Walker recovering from groin surgery. 

Suppose his boy Tripper is still fit at present, and Chillwell coming back means our LWB spot is boosted somewhat. 

2 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Looks about what I would go with.

I don't like Stones , and Tomori is having a badly timed poor season, but we are not blessed with options there. I personally would go with Lewis Dunk or Connor Coady who are both having good seasons . Not sure if Coady will want another bench warming tournament though. They key thing will be is to have us defending first and not playing it out from the back. None of our defenders are good enough to play that way.

Midfield and forwards I agree with, Rashford is playing well again and is a good impact sub. Toney and Abraham can deputise for an injured Kane without changing formation.

Line up for the first game 

Pickford 

Walker Dier Stones

Trippier Rice Bellingham Chilwell 

Sterling Kane Foden 

For the first couple of games I'd like us to be 4 at the back, we should cope without the back 5 against these guys and change it up later if we need to...

Pickford

Trippier, Stones, Guehi, Chillwell

Bellingham, Rice, Mount

Saka, Kane, Foden

CB is the obvious weak spot. I'm certain your lineup is a lot closer than mine to the team that will take the field........

20 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Revised squad:

Pickford, Ramsdale, Pope

Trippier, Alexander-Arnold, Walker, Dier, Stones, White, Tomori, Shaw, Chilwell  

Rice, Bellingham, Ward-Prowse, Loftus-Cheek, Mount, Grealish, Saka, Foden, Maddison

Sterling, Kane, Abraham, Rashford, Toney

I'd remove Maddison, Tomori and Trent and take Gomez, Coady and Elliott instead. 

I'd go with the formation we'll be using tournament to bed it in 

Pickford 

Walker

Stones

Gomez

Trippier

Bellingham 

Rice

Shaw

Foden/Grealish/Saka

Kane

Rashford/Sterling

Can't split the support options atm, would go based on form and rotate them to keep them fresh 

Pickford

Pope

Ramsdale 

Maguire

Trippier

Walker

White

Stones

Dier

Tamori

Shaw

Chillwell

Henderson

Rice

Bellingham

Loftus-Cheek

Mount

Elliott

Saka

Grealish

Sterling

Foden

Rashford

Kane

Toney

Abraham

Starting 11

Pickford

Trippier

Stones

Dier

Chilwell

Bellingham

Rice

Saka

Mount

Foden

Kane 

44 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

No way we start with a 4 against Iran SC

That’s the opponent where goals scored will decide who wins the group imo. 

Aren't Iran quite high in the rankings and have a few decent players? 

Think we should be winning them all, but every game will be tight 

9 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’d go with:

Pickford

Trippier Stones Dier Shaw

Bellingham Rice Mount 

Sterling Kane Foden

Not sure about Dier but we are limited on options . I like the fact you’ve 4/5 players capable of a goal rather than the 2/3 Southgate usually plays. IMO I think Southgate plays that way to cover our poor defence but it’s certainly not worked this year.

9 hours ago, Avon barksdale said:

Not sure about Dier but we are limited on options . I like the fact you’ve 4/5 players capable of a goal rather than the 2/3 Southgate usually plays. IMO I think Southgate plays that way to cover our poor defence but it’s certainly not worked this year.

I’ve always rated Dier to be fair. By no means a world class defender but I think he’s one of the best we have.