England World Cup Squad

fudge27

Hmmm

Keepers:

Pickford -  Without playing, has secured his place as Englands No.1

Ramsdale- Much to my annoyance,  had thrived at Arsenal .Bags of confidence. 

Henderson - Will get better at Forest.

Big loser is Pope, shades of Joe Hart we he lost it.

Defenders :

RB: James & Trippier 

LB : Shaw & Chilwell 

No TAA , He plays a particular role for Liverpool which won't work for England. He's not nearly good enough as a defender,  he would be targetted incessantly.  

CB's - Walker, Tomori, Smalling, Dier , Dunk.

I Really want to do away with this idea that Stones and Maguire are world class defenders. They are over confident and get bested by any decent attack. I want my defenders to realise they are not Baresi..or even Bonnuci.

Midfield :  Bellingham, Rice, Ward-Prowse,  Mount, Maddison, Elliott. 

Forwards : Kane, Abraham, Sterling, Foden, Saka, Grealish. 

There's enough in midfield and attack to play a variety of systems,  no place for Toney as Abraham and Sterling can deputise for Kane. Rashford and Sancho to miss out and concentrate on working on their club form. 

First 11

Pickford 

Walker 

Dier

Tomori

Trippier

Rice

Bellingham 

Chilwell

Foden

Kane

Sterling 

On 28/09/2022 at 22:55, Owl_For_a_Lifetime said:

Who I'd pick (assuming K Phillips will still be injured / not be up to speed)

Pickford / Ramsdale / Pope

Trippier / James / TAA / Chillwell / Shaw / Stones /  Tomori / Guehi / White / Dier

Bellingham / Rice / Henderson / Mount / Ward-Prowse

Saka / Sancho / Sterling / Grealish

Kane / Toney / Abraham / Rashford

(my starting line up:- Pickford, Trippier, Stones, Tomori, Chillwell, Bellingham, Rice, Mount or Henderson, Saka, Kane, Foden)

Formation wise I'd go with 433, maybe TAA to start against Iran & USA to see how he goes. No question that Maguire & Walker will be in Southgate's squad though.

Henderson wouldn’t get in my England squad. Rich man’s Potter. 

Smalling should be given another chance, god shout that 

1 hour ago, Skyline said:

So... Maddison.

Out of the Team taken to the recent Nations League games, who misses out for Maddison?

Nobody in the system England play. 

Coupled with the fact he's had a couple of behaviour issues when on the fringes and he's got zero chance of making the squad imo. 

Can't say he's exactly ripping it up right now either. Better players than him not in the squad of late 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Nobody in the system England play. 

Coupled with the fact he's had a couple of behaviour issues when on the fringes and he's got zero chance of making the squad imo. 

Can't say he's exactly ripping it up right now either. Better players than him not in the squad of late 

Interesting...

Admittedly I have not seen much of him other than some highlights now and then. 

Also saw some stats which look good...

Since last season he has 27 Goals and Assists.

That's 114 mins per G/A - The best from all other English Attacking Midfielders. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12711650/james-maddison-secures-third-spot-in-chart-erling-haaland-and-roberto-firmino-flying-high

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skyline said:

So... Maddison.

Out of the Team taken to the recent Nations League games, who misses out for Maddison?

Dunno, but everybody already in there has proven themselves lately.

At club level Saka, Grealish, Mount & Foden doing well & none of them done anything wrong for England 🤷🏻‍♂️
Carra pointed out that Saka & Foden tend to play wide so Madison could add cover for Mount? Tricky for GS. G Nev also hinted that Madison might not be too happy in a squad where he doesn’t play so would GS risk the harmony in the camp? 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, Skyline said:

Interesting...

Admittedly I have not seen much of him other than some highlights now and then. 

Also saw some stats which look good...

Since last season he has 27 Goals and Assists.

That's 114 mins per G/A - The best from all other English Attacking Midfielders. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12711650/james-maddison-secures-third-spot-in-chart-erling-haaland-and-roberto-firmino-flying-high

I think that's a bit lopsided to the start of last season isn't it? 

2 goals and an assist against a terrible forest team is hardly ground breaking to propel him so far 

2 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Dunno, but everybody already in there has proven themselves lately.

At club level Saka, Grealish, Mount & Foden doing well & none of them done anything wrong for England 🤷🏻‍♂️
Carra pointed out that Saka & Foden tend to play wide so Madison could add cover for Mount? Tricky for GS. G Nev also hinted that Madison might not be too happy in a squad where he doesn’t play so would GS risk the harmony in the camp? 🤷🏻‍♂️

That would make sense as to what fudge is saying then.

In that case, we don't need players like that in the squad. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fudge27 said:

I think that's a bit lopsided to the start of last season isn't it? 

2 goals and an assist against a terrible forest team is hardly ground breaking to propel him so far 

Totally agree. Like I say, I'm going on stats and highlights only and I'm interested in others opinion.

One name alongside Smalling who I completely forgot about is Loftus Cheek. 

Thought he had a bit of a breakthrough in 2018 and hasn't done much since. He needs a move imo, but coupe be an absolute colossus as one of the holding options

7 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Maddison has to be on that plane. I’ve been calling for it all year. If you’ve got busy idiots like Mount in the team then you have to take Maddison who has more quality on the ball 

Disagree. 

You need players who do the hard yards stuff, and in the final 3rd he does not fit our style or formation and there are better players than him 

14 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Disagree. 

You need players who do the hard yards stuff, and in the final 3rd he does not fit our style or formation and there are better players than him 

A player in attacking midfield should not be having to do the hard yards. We have rice & Bellingham behind who do just that 

0 goals 0 assists for Mount in the premier league this season, in a position which requires output.

14 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

A player in attacking midfield should not be having to do the hard yards. We have rice & Bellingham behind who do just that 

0 goals 0 assists for Mount in the premier league this season, in a position which requires output.

England's third CM is used as a bridge player, Maddison is not that player. He is effective as a number 10. He would be competing for a spot in the team With Saka, Sterling, Foden, Grealish, Kane