England World Cup Squad

fudge27

With the next games the WC time to be thinking of the squad. Confirmed as 26 squad spaces again. 

Think we can all agree on some guarantees, whether we agree with them or not then a handful made up from the fringe players, who are you taking as things stand? 

Gurantees

Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale

James, Trippier, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw

Rice, Bellingham, Mount

Saka, Kane, Sterling, Foden, Grealish 

Possibles

TAA, Chilwell, Guehi, Tomori, Dier, Coady

Henderson, Phillips, Ward Prowse, Oxlade Chamberlain, Gallagher, 

Sancho, Bowen, Abraham, Calvert-Lewin, Watkins, Rashford, Toney

Highlighted the ones I'd take to make up the squad. 

Who I'd pick (assuming K Phillips will still be injured / not be up to speed)

Pickford / Ramsdale / Pope

Trippier / James / TAA / Chillwell / Shaw / Stones /  Tomori / Guehi / White / Dier

Bellingham / Rice / Henderson / Mount / Ward-Prowse

Saka / Sancho / Sterling / Grealish

Kane / Toney / Abraham / Rashford

(my starting line up:- Pickford, Trippier, Stones, Tomori, Chillwell, Bellingham, Rice, Mount or Henderson, Saka, Kane, Foden)

Formation wise I'd go with 433, maybe TAA to start against Iran & USA to see how he goes. No question that Maguire & Walker will be in Southgate's squad though.

20 minutes ago, Owl_For_a_Lifetime said:

Who I'd pick (assuming K Phillips will still be injured / not be up to speed)

Pickford / Ramsdale / Pope

Trippier / James / TAA / Chillwell / Shaw / Stones /  Tomori / Guehi / White / Dier

Bellingham / Rice / Henderson / Mount / Ward-Prowse

Saka / Sancho / Sterling / Grealish

Kane / Toney / Abraham / Rashford

(my starting line up:- Pickford, Trippier, Stones, Tomori, Chillwell, Bellingham, Rice, Mount or Henderson, Saka, Kane, Foden)

Formation wise I'd go with 433, maybe TAA to start against Iran & USA to see how he goes. No question that Maguire & Walker will be in Southgate's squad though.

Foden not in the 26, but in the XI is an interesting move 👀

• Haha 2

Southgate said the other day Trippier is in front of TAA with his overall game. I agree that he brings more & offers better cover.

Phillips won’t be fit after shoulder op.

Pickford clearly No1. Ramsdale. Don’t need 3 keepers.

Trippier, James, Stones, Maguire, Dier, Chilwell, Shaw, Walker.

Henderson, Rice, Bellingham, Mount, Saka, Grealish, Foden, Sterling.

Kane, Abraham, Toney, Bowen. 

That leaves 4 places.

See if anybody excels in the next few games who has already featured in previous squads & might have been to a tournament also. 👍 Dangle a WC carrot 🥕⚽

4 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Southgate said the other day Trippier is in front of TAA with his overall game. I agree that he brings more & offers better cover.

That leaves 4 places.

See if anybody excels in the next few games who has already featured in previous squads & might have been to a tournament also. 👍 Dangle a WC carrot 🥕⚽

Only takes one keeper to get injured and we're stuck with only one left. Bit risky?

5 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

That leaves 4 places.

i think it's mandatory that 3 keepers are part of the squad...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Only takes one keeper to get injured and we're stuck with only one left. Bit risky?

39 minutes ago, Owl_For_a_Lifetime said:

i think it's mandatory that 3 keepers are part of the squad...

Looks like we'll be ok Skyline 👍 I just think it's a waste of a selection. Based upon how often a sub keeper is used in the PL, let alone a 3rd choice.

2 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

I know TAA isn’t great at defending but solely thinking about his achievements for Liverpool, at his age, it’s surreal he can’t play for England. 

(insert Maguire ‘form’ comparison) 

TAA has only gained 17 caps since his debut in 2018. Something amiss there, either with player or manager. 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

Looks like we'll be ok Skyline 👍 I just think it's a waste of a selection. Based upon how often a sub keeper is used in the PL, let alone a 3rd choice.

I get it, but it's also a big risk to take. One keeper injured and you're then risking every game without one on the bench. 

I think Warnock used to take this risk in his career as manager? Briefly remember Jagielka being in the net because he had no one on the bench.

4 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

I know TAA isn’t great at defending but solely thinking about his achievements for Liverpool, at his age, it’s surreal he can’t play for England. 

(insert Maguire ‘form’ comparison) 

TAA is a fantastic wing back. Quick, good quality balls into the box and can chip in with a few goals. But for the past couple of seasons Liverpoll had a very strong defensive unit that covered him. He's proper crap at defending. Dani Alves kind of player. If you have the squad to cover his defensive mistakes he will shine... But Alves was slightly better at defending. 

Edited by Skyline
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, markg said:

Has Chris Smalling retried from international football? Got a lot of undeserved stick imo, and seems to be doing well for Roma

He didn’t get a mention other night on radio driving home from Wembley, but they spoke about Tomori & how he’s slipped up lately in Milan derby & against Napoli, so not a cast iron certainty at CB.