Why can't we be first club to have new ticket initatives?

6 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Charging less wouldn't entice a big proportion of the not going fan base to start going again.  Once you start winning loads of games and attracting better players then fans will come in bigger numbers.

We have had loads of cheap offers and they are almost always a damp squib.

I do think tickets should be cheaper as I know a lot of people stretch themselves paying to watch Wednesday, I think that  football teams should recognise this. 

however I do agree with what you say cheap tickets won’t entice many in. We have never really filled the stadium even when we have been playing well (few and far between). So it doesn't really make any sense for the club to lower the prices. Imagine we will end up with about the same average this season as we did last. 

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think the issue here is that there's a real tendency to write everyone off as wanting their cake and eating it
It's not true that everyone's like that (as you've pointed out above)
It's also though not true that most people want their cake and eat it - they don't
Just a tiny tiny tiny handful of people maybe

Let's not tar everyone with the same brush all the time 

Regarding the ease of buying tickets let's be honest if someone in the pub who heard you were a Wednesday fan and thought they might try it themselves asked you how much it is to go to next weeks match you'd not be able to tell them (ever).

Pricing = good
Ease of buying tickets for the neutral = poor and needs improvement

Tiers / Catergories/ Phases - need dumping
Attitudes that there's a huge swathe of fans wanting their cake and eating it = needs throwing in the bin once and for all

In my opinion it’s more than a minority. We all know a mate or a work colleague that allegedly won’t go because of ticket prices. If, as you say it is a tiny minority we can dispel as an urban myth that we can fill the ground with lower ticket prices. 

You’re right regarding match day pricing, I have a season ticket so wouldn’t know much about match day pricing. It wouldn’t take a rocket scientist to find out though as 100% of young newbies could find the clubs website and will 100% know how to negotiate purchasing a ticket. 

It’s not an attitude, it’s an opinion based on what I read on sites,  what I hear at work or in the pub. 
I suppose we differ on opinion but hey ho it would be boring if we all agreed. 

6 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

We all know a mate or a work colleague that allegedly won’t go because of ticket prices.

I think this is down to a few things

It's certainly not down to them wanting their cake and eat it

If anything it's down to how the club has marketed itself over the last five or six years as a premium priced event (deliberately too - to help drive up season ticket sales)

The downside to that kind of marketing is that if you're then relegated, in the press for attacking your own fans, not refunding them, in transfer embargoes and not paying your own players then you have the situation of a premium priced product that's bargain bin quality.

Your opinion that there's masses of people wanting their cake and eat it is just incorrect (in my opinion). Wildly incorrect. I don't see it at all.

I see people wanting value for money (perceived value for money that is) and their perception has come from the above strategy exploding in the chairman's face

Like I say I think the pricing is ok. The pricing for kids is amazing (I'm talking season ticket prices here)

Ease of buying tickets for a neutral, casual or first time visitor is as horrific as it gets no matter how much you try and spin the positives. 

Like I say - next season I bet if someone asked you "Hey I might come to the next match with you and give it a try - how much is it?" I bet you couldn't tell them.
Yes - they COULD go on the website, trawl through the pages, find the categories, stands, phases, tiers etc but that's not what first time or neutral or casual fans do. So you've lost their business.

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Rotherham Owl said:

But we wouldnt need to drop the price to get a full house - look at Portsmouth last year. It is the success and the potential success that brought them in. Also shows that even in todays times price isn't a major factor if the team is winning and doing well that is.

We can always fill it for an end of season game when there’s something on it but we’ve 23 home league games to try sell.

Majority of POTG fans are going to be alright paying £30 for a one off game but they’re not going to pay it 23 times through a season so price is a big factor

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Guest Willow Owl
17 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Like I say - next season I bet if someone asked you "Hey I might come to the next match with you and give it a try - how much is it?" I bet you couldn't tell them.
Yes - they COULD go on the website, trawl through the pages, find the categories, stands, phases, tiers etc but that's not what first time or neutral or casual fans do. So you've lost their business.

Like I said, I have a season ticket so off top of my head I wouldn’t know. But I could quite easily go on the website and get the information. No matter how bad you try make it sound 100% of all newbie fans would be able to negotiate the clubs website. They do it every day for concert tickets etc. 

55 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Charging less wouldn't entice a big proportion of the not going fan base to start going again.  Once you start winning loads of games and attracting better players then fans will come in bigger numbers.

We have had loads of cheap offers and they are almost always a damp squib.

Pigs averaged 27,611 last season and Wednesday averaged 22,470 and there’s still fans justifying DC’s prices, categories and season ticket phases

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rotherham Owl said:

But we wouldnt need to drop the price to get a full house - look at Portsmouth last year. It is the success and the potential success that brought them in. Also shows that even in todays times price isn't a major factor if the team is winning and doing well that is.

We can get 33K attendances at big games at the end of the season when there is something riding on the game and the away team bring a big following i.e. Portsmouth and Sunderland.

The key is boosting attendances in the rest of the season, when we're playing the likes of Morecambe, Forest Green and Fleetwood. i would think the majority of games are going to be cat A and B. There will be hardly any C and D.

The Portsmouth game last season was cat A and tickets were the most  expensive possible £26/£29/£32. It will be interesting to see the attendance for the first home game when the tickets are more at £28/£31/£34. There will be many saving money for their holidays or have just had holidays and don't have the spare cash. Those prices will do nothing to help attract a big attendance.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

Pigs averaged 27,611 last season and Wednesday averaged 22,470 and there’s still fans justifying DC’s prices, categories and season ticket phases

Thus proving that success brings in fans and not low prices, or any of the frilly stuff advocated.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rotherham Owl said:

Thus proving that success brings in fans and not low prices, or any of the frilly stuff advocated.

Are you saying that all the season ticket phases and match day categories help attendances?

We’ll do well to average 22k again this season (even if we’re up there) because the season ticket sales will be down after all the season ticket phases and the early bird in December. And POTG fans will see that DC has brought in a category A* for league 1 games 

30 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

We can always fill it for an end of season game when there’s something on it but we’ve 23 home league games to try sell.

Majority of POTG fans are going to be alright paying £30 for a one off game but they’re not going to pay it 23 times through a season so price is a big factor

I don't think it will be possible to pay £30 for every game next year. I think the top price of tickets for some games will be below that also most games will be £24 or £22.

I bet there isn't one person who went to 23 games last year as a POTG. ☺

4 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

Are you saying that all the season ticket phases and match day categories help attendances?

We’ll do well to average 22k again this season (even if we’re up there) because the season ticket sales will be down after all the season ticket phases and the early bird in December. And POTG fans will see that DC has brought in a category A* for league 1 games 

I bet that the attendance will be higher next year, we will get a boost from the relative success of last year. Plus I think we will be in the automatics for most of the season.

Who said that the A* is for league 1 games. I see it as a special price for maybe a premier league team in the cup. It gives flexibility.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

From the turn of the year we won 10 out 12 home games prior to the Portsmouth game.

We were winning regularly and scoring plenty of goals, yet the average attendance for those 12 games, which included games against the top 2 in the league, was 21,885. Much less than the season average of 22,908.

So winning regularly didn't seem to boost our attendances. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rotherham Owl said:

I bet that the attendance will be higher next year, we will get a boost from the relative success of last year. Plus I think we will be in the automatics for most of the season.

Who said that the A* is for league 1 games. I see it as a special price for maybe a premier league team in the cup. It gives flexibility.

Well the first home game is A* for starters.

2 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Well the first home game is A* for starters.

An A* game in league 1 and 5 categories to split up Forest Green, Fleetwood, Exeter, Accrington, Cambridge, Cheltenham, Exeter, Morecambe, Port Vale and Shrewsbury at home is ridiculous

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rotherham Owl said:

Is it - where has that been announced.

On the official site

Wednesday open the season at home against last year’s final day opponents Portsmouth on Saturday 30 July and this game will be priced as a Category A* fixture (tickets from £28 on the Kop).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Just doesn't work.  People will take the tickets but very few will pay for one, they will wait for the next freebie

Great stuff! Lets just crack on with a half empty ground and over-priced tickets like we have for the last 15 years! Easy as that.

• Like 4
  • Love 1