Why can't we be first club to have new ticket initatives?

2 hours ago, TrendOwl said:

I am going to post something different - potentially laughable, but it's just an idea for Wednesday or clubs.

We all talk about it, when Hillsborough is half full we struggle to make an atmosphere and when it's full, or close to, it's a great place to be. Now I don't think our ticket prices are sky high, but they are still above what I think is fair - cosnidering the league we are in. I personally haven't had a ST for a long time and get to Hillsborough when I can.

The ticket prices have just been released and the cheapest ticket for Portsmouth is TWENTY EIGHT POUNDS in league one. My personal opinion is that this should be maxed at £25 for any game in L1. Anyway.....

So here's a few ideas to us avoid constantly having 20k empty seats

1) Stop having numerous deadlines for ST

2) Cup tickets if you can't attend a league game (so it doesn't feel like you've lost out)

3) ST discounts for cup

4 ) Quid a kid 1/2 times a season (kop only)

5) More offers for midweek v Burton etc (£20 a stand etc)

6) £25 max!!!

7) Open West lower for every game??

8 - ticket bundles that are actually really good value

9) A cheap cup season ticket? (£50?)

These maybe all laughable to people, but we know what an empty Hillsborough is like..........................

for what it’s worth , here’s the reason why most, if not all clubs don’t adopt your ideas. Ideas which are good but simply don’t really work & actually reduce revenue.

1. deadlines are done simply to encourage sales. If you don’t have deadlines people hang on to their money and the clubs cash flow suffers.

2. Cup ticket revenue has to be split between the club and opposition plus a percentage to the league therefore you are reducing your own revenue to give it away.

3. As above and cup game prices have to be agreed with your opponent 

4. I’m sure they do this before and it does work however doesn’t have a knock on effect as people just wait for the next quid a kid

5. This would effect your season ticket value and then they moan and dont renew, customer lost.

6. People will pay the higher price If the team are winning. It’s a business with overheads so prices have to cover those. Lower ticket prices mean even less spent on other areas (team, wages, ground etc) than is now.

7. Open it and you have to pay for more stewards, police, catering etc and it’s not to say it will be full or encourage bigger gates.

8. again this effects season ticket values. Whilst some will say go ahead, others won’t and ST revenue is one of the biggest income streams in any club outside the Premier League.

9. Again it’s not possible as per answers to 2 & 3

8 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Bringing prices down does not sustain a football.  If it was that simple they would all be doing it.  They don't do it because it doesn't work.  The overheads go up but the monies they receive doesn't make up for the loss in ticket revenue and the extra overheads. 

let's use this as an example

we have six home games against average teams in the league (Burton, Bristol R, Wycombe, Oxford, CHeltenham etc)

How many fans do we get that it's £20 

how many fans do we get that it's £30

what's the percentage difference on matchday tix? 20%

it puts paid to your point about sustaining attendances and potentially could be a pivot to us picking up more points. and of course you talk about our revenues, but they could go up because we've got promoted........

swings and roundabouts.

in all fairness - those rubbish midweek matches v nobody should be a lot cheaper than they are.

Thread title "Why can't we have some exciting new ticket initatives"
Replies "Definitely not. Change is bad. I'd be against it"

Thread title "It would be great if catering at the ground could be improved"
Replies "Definitely not. I buy a beres/chips and curry sauce from outside the ground. Why can't everyone be like me? Can't you go 90 minutes without food?" etc

Thread title "I'd love this design for the new home shirt"
Replies "Definitely not. Keep things the way things are. Grown men shouldn't wear shirts. You don't have to buy one if you don't agree with the prices" etc etc

etc etc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

I am going to post something different - potentially laughable, but it's just an idea for Wednesday or clubs.

We all talk about it, when Hillsborough is half full we struggle to make an atmosphere and when it's full, or close to, it's a great place to be. Now I don't think our ticket prices are sky high, but they are still above what I think is fair - cosnidering the league we are in. I personally haven't had a ST for a long time and get to Hillsborough when I can.

The ticket prices have just been released and the cheapest ticket for Portsmouth is TWENTY EIGHT POUNDS in league one. My personal opinion is that this should be maxed at £25 for any game in L1. Anyway.....

So here's a few ideas to us avoid constantly having 20k empty seats

1) Stop having numerous deadlines for ST

2) Cup tickets if you can't attend a league game (so it doesn't feel like you've lost out)

3) ST discounts for cup

4 ) Quid a kid 1/2 times a season (kop only)

5) More offers for midweek v Burton etc (£20 a stand etc)

6) £25 max!!!

7) Open West lower for every game??

8 - ticket bundles that are actually really good value

9) A cheap cup season ticket? (£50?)

These maybe all laughable to people, but we know what an empty Hillsborough is like..........................

The only thing that fills stadiums is success on the pitch. The rest falls into place.

3 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

The only thing that fills stadiums is success on the pitch. The rest falls into place.

Success on the pitch is a huge driving factor
But you could get more regular people and newer people coming more often with an improved matchday experience and facilities

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

success on the pitch doesn't always drive tix sales.

we had a bad season when we played united, still a good crowd, good crowd v locals, good crowds when prices are cheap/fair. 

• Love 1

Guest Willow Owl
42 minutes ago, TrendOwl said:

you are a ST holder who is getting the best value and you'd be annoyed over seeing hillsborough a little more full because people can potentially afford the discounted ticket?

one of our last home games, we're 4th, chance automatic, play-offs or winning the league - home v Acrrington/Exeter and youd really want us to have 21k because someone is getting a one-off discount to fill the ground???

I’m not against odd incentives, but they shouldn’t be less than what a season ticket holder pays.  

If we were fourth going going into the last home game people would pay whatever price it was. Hence the Pompey crowd.

When the club do incentives people moan it’s for the so called lesser teams.

Lets be honest, some fans just want to pick and choose their games ( top teams) and pay under £20

like I said earlier if you’re going to go you’ll go.

Just now, Willow Owl said:

That's not quite the full picture

For those who are definitely going to go of course they're going to go
For those on the fence then ticket prices are a huge influencing factor
For newbies - the ease of even finding out the prices for games is a challenge, buying them isn't the best (printing your own ticket at home etc) and ticket pricing is a huge factor.

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Willow Owl said:

I’m not against odd incentives, but they shouldn’t be less than what a season ticket holder pays.  

If we were fourth going going into the last home game people would pay whatever price it was. Hence the Pompey crowd.

When the club do incentives people moan it’s for the so called lesser teams.

Lets be honest, some fans just want to pick and choose their games ( top teams) and pay under £20

But many aren't asking for discount tix every game, just 2/3 times a season. Nobody who is paying match by match will think they are going to get cheaper than a ST holder.

Do people pick and choose their games against top teams? Well, I don't think there are any top teams in L1. I would go if it was £15-£20 on a cold Tuesday v Fleetwood, but I wouldn't go and pay a minimum of £28 to watch us for £28 v Barnsley/Portsmouth

• Like 1

I don’t think this seasons pricing is too bad to be honest. Obviously some of the category one games are a bit dubious, but overall I feel there is some reflection between the price and product and we clearly have invested this season in the team. 
My main bugbear as ever is the stone age systems in place for food ordering etc. Why we don’t drive revenue by making it easier to order and pay for grub/ drinks on an app to collect either as to arrive at the ground or at halftime baffles me. 
And why in 2022 there STILL isn’t a Beres concession in the ground is a fûcking mystery! 

I will be able to die a happy man if at some point in the future I can order a Beres with everything on the way the ground in my phone and pick it up without a queue or any hassle and casually take it to my seat to sit and shove down my fat neck while waiting for kickoff!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I don’t think this seasons pricing is too bad to be honest. Obviously some of the category one games are a bit dubious, but overall I feel there is some reflection between the price and product and we clearly have invested this season in the team. 
My main bugbear as ever is the stone age systems in place for food ordering etc. Why we don’t drive revenue by making it easier to order and pay for grub/ drinks on an app to collect either as to arrive at the ground or at halftime baffles me. 
And why in 2022 there STILL isn’t a Beres concession in the ground is a fûcking mystery! 

I will be able to die a happy man if at some point in the future I can order a Beres with everything on the way the ground in my phone and pick it up without a queue or any hassle and casually take it to my seat to sit and shove down my fat neck while waiting for kickoff!

Replies "Definitely not. I buy a beres/chips and curry sauce from outside the ground. Why can't everyone be like me? Can't you go 90 minutes without food?" etc

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

In all honesty I’ve no idea if I could go 90 mins without food. I’ve never tried it…

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TrendOwl said:

you are a ST holder who is getting the best value and you'd be annoyed over seeing hillsborough a little more full because people can potentially afford the discounted ticket?

one of our last home games, we're 4th, chance automatic, play-offs or winning the league - home v Acrrington/Exeter and youd really want us to have 21k because someone is getting a one-off discount to fill the ground???

But we wouldnt need to drop the price to get a full house - look at Portsmouth last year. It is the success and the potential success that brought them in. Also shows that even in todays times price isn't a major factor if the team is winning and doing well that is.

2 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

STs holders should be able to take under 12s in free for shít games

that would be very  difficult to do unless the under 12 was happy to sit in a different area to whoever was taking him ......

Guest Willow Owl
27 minutes ago, TrendOwl said:

But many aren't asking for discount tix every game, just 2/3 times a season. Nobody who is paying match by match will think they are going to get cheaper than a ST holder.

Do people pick and choose their games against top teams? Well, I don't think there are any top teams in L1. I would go if it was £15-£20 on a cold Tuesday v Fleetwood, but I wouldn't go and pay a minimum of £28 to watch us for £28 v Barnsley/Portsmouth

You mentioned a max of £25 per game in league1. There are only Cat A A*games above this.

Im sure there will be games in midweek that will be cat D £20 that you can attend without an incentive.

Would ST holders get upset that it was £15 for midweek games 2/3/4 times a season?? 

you mention the cost of living, but for those who struggle and want to watch the football, are you going to pay £28 min for portsmouth? I am not struggling and I am no to £28. Do you think £28 is fair? 

As for £5, maybe yes or no. We had a game v Crewe towards the end and I said no over the sake of around a fiver. 

And sure - everyone wants cheaper - but this is realism. £25 is more than enough for L1 football. 

I've been a season ticket holder since 1985

I chose to have a season ticket because I can't be arsed paying at the gate

What other people pay for their tickets doesn't bother me, I've made my choice and I'm happy with it

If the club decide to let people in for a tenner in midweek, it wouldn't bother me, I miss a lot of night games through choice, why would I get upset if my fellow Wednesdayites got a chance of going to games on the cheap

I also think U12's should be let in free with a full paying adult

We have got to entice the youngsters in, they are the future of the club

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest Willow Owl
36 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's not quite the full picture

For those who are definitely going to go of course they're going to go
For those on the fence then ticket prices are a huge influencing factor
For newbies - the ease of even finding out the prices for games is a challenge, buying them isn't the best (printing your own ticket at home etc) and ticket pricing is a huge factor.

I get everybody’s circumstances are different and if moneys tight then the Cat C and D £22/£20 matches may be more affordable for some. They will still get to support their club when funds allow.

Newbies can always pick up tickets from the ticket office and check the clubs website for details.

My point is aimed more at those that want their cake and eat it.

Want to pay £15 to sit in the South Stand and watch Derby/ Ipswich or those near top of the league. Get a free pint a pie and a Thai massage at half time. 
If they don’t get that then the club are ripping the fans off and they refuse to go. 

Just now, Willow Owl said:

I get everybody’s circumstances are different and if moneys tight then the Cat C and D £22/£20 matches may be more affordable for some. They will still get to support their club when funds allow.

Newbies can always pick up tickets from the ticket office and check the clubs website for details.

My point is aimed more at those that want their cake and eat it.

Want to pay £15 to sit in the South Stand and watch Derby/ Ipswich or those near top of the league. Get a free pint a pie and a Thai massage at half time. 
If they don’t get that then the club are ripping the fans off and they refuse to go. 

I think the issue here is that there's a real tendency to write everyone off as wanting their cake and eating it
It's not true that everyone's like that (as you've pointed out above)
It's also though not true that most people want their cake and eat it - they don't
Just a tiny tiny tiny handful of people maybe

Let's not tar everyone with the same brush all the time 

Regarding the ease of buying tickets let's be honest if someone in the pub who heard you were a Wednesday fan and thought they might try it themselves asked you how much it is to go to next weeks match you'd not be able to tell them (ever).

Pricing = good
Ease of buying tickets for the neutral = poor and needs improvement

Tiers / Catergories/ Phases - need dumping
Attitudes that there's a huge swathe of fans wanting their cake and eating it = needs throwing in the bin once and for all

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, TrendOwl said:

let's use this as an example

we have six home games against average teams in the league (Burton, Bristol R, Wycombe, Oxford, CHeltenham etc)

How many fans do we get that it's £20 

how many fans do we get that it's £30

what's the percentage difference on matchday tix? 20%

it puts paid to your point about sustaining attendances and potentially could be a pivot to us picking up more points. and of course you talk about our revenues, but they could go up because we've got promoted........

swings and roundabouts.

in all fairness - those rubbish midweek matches v nobody should be a lot cheaper than they are.

Charging less wouldn't entice a big proportion of the not going fan base to start going again.  Once you start winning loads of games and attracting better players then fans will come in bigger numbers.

We have had loads of cheap offers and they are almost always a damp squib.